What's new

AMCHD, TNTHD & TBSHD...when HD can still look like crap. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ugh, today I tried watching Halloween 4 on AMCHD and I just couldn't do it, it was horrific and i'm not talking about the movie.

TNTHD and TBSHD are both in the same boat, they look like compressed, stretched and panned -n- scanned garbage.

Seriously how can they claim to be in HD?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree. There needs to be a way to stop these channels from calling themselves HD. It is a lie. They are just upconverting SD sources most of the time.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Don't want to start a new thread for this, but I just found out that I'm losing MOJO HD and gaining MGM HD. I used to like MOJO, but haven't watched it in a long time. Meanwhile, wiki says that MGM plays old movies in HD and are sticklers for OAR. Cool.

Of the three mentioned, I only have TNT HD. They play some true HD, like the Stephen King minis they've had, but it's mostly terrible. When they zoom on 4x3 material and do tilts, the geometry does really weird things. I'm guessing Saving Grace and their other original programming is true HD, but I don't really watch any of their stuff and refuse to watch movies or reruns since I know they'll be zoomed. I'd rather watch standard TNT than sit through that.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

If your baffled by that than you'll be absolutely stupified by this, they usually show Halloween 5 right after it lol.

But in their defense they also show the original Halloween as well.

They've been showing these movies every Halloween since the dawn of man.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I love MGM HD on DirecTV. It's in their HD Extra pack and costs $5 per month, but this one station makes it worthwhile (Smithsonian HD, Universal HD, MHD, and HD Net Movies are also in this tier). As far as I can tell, everything I can remember was OAR and HD -- no stretching, no cutting, no zooming. Coming Home is on later tonight though I doubt I'll be able to watch

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I have UniHD and HDNet Movies right now, with MGM to follow next month. Uni is OAR, I think, but with commercials. HDNet is always OAR and commercial free. As for AMC, it hasn't stood for American Movie Classics in a long time now. It's sad what's become of them. My VCR was burning night and day between AMC and TCM about ten years ago. TCM is still as good, but I've gotten out of the habit of watching classic movies.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Agreed. Best surprise in the "HD Extra" package. Thanks to MGM HD, I had the chance to sit down a few weeks ago and watch all 6 Rocky films in High Definition (Rocky and Rocky Balboa on Blu-ray, Rocky II-V on MGM HD).

StephenA

Screenwriter
The History Channel does the same thing with a lot of their shows, so I just watch the non-HD channel whenever they do that on their HD channel.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

History does something even sillier! I'll see a program on the SD feed and notice that it is a 16X 9 picture with black bars top and bottom. I'll then go to the HD feed and I'll see that the picture fills the width of my widescreen tv but there will still be black bars, albeit narrower, top and bottom and the picture will looked squashed. Amazing. Check out thier broadcast of "Band of Brothers" and you'll see what I mean.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
They just added AMCHD to Comcast in Connecticut a few days ago. I didn't even know there was an AMCHD. I use to watch AMC when they didn't have commercials and showed films in OAR. After they added the commercials and pan/scan everything I stopped. They had TWO WEEKS NOTICE on when I last watched it. I compared the SD AMC channel and more picture information was being shown on the sides on AMCHD. When are we going to have TCM in HD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks