Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Matrix Revolutions - glitch?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 of 53 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 24 2008 - 10:26 PM

Okay, what's THIS now?

I finally gave in and bought into BD (in some ways, against my better judgement) because I thought it had gotten over its initial teething problems. I avoided the Pirates Of The Caribbean debacle by getting the corrected disc in the trilogy boxed set, then I (hopefully) avoided the Bond debacle by having a Panasonic BD-50 player (the discs are still en route from Amazon) but now, just as I am poised to order it, I'm hearing about a glitch in the Matrix box set.

C'mon guys these are BIG titles and BIG releases and this kinda thing ain't gonna do the reputation of BD much good!!

Matrix Revolutions Blu-Ray problem

#2 of 53 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted October 24 2008 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for letting us know. I was undecided and was thinking of maybe getting this boxset but now I know what to do!

#3 of 53 OFFLINE   Bob-ATL

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted October 25 2008 - 02:26 AM

I see this on my copy as well, but it is not nearly as bad as those screen captures. I have the Panasonic BD30. Just a few bad pixels that lasts about 3 to 5 frames. I'll have to see if it's like this on the HD-DVD. I'll report back later on that.
"She's into malacas, Dino!" Gary-Weird Science

#4 of 53 OFFLINE   Bob-ATL

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted October 25 2008 - 02:53 AM

This glitch does not occur on the HD-DVD. I have the Toshiba HD-A2.

#5 of 53 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted October 25 2008 - 06:08 AM

The other note in that article, "The VC1 file for the film itself is only about 13.4 GB. They could have re-encoded the film and DOUBLED the bitrate of the VC1 file and it would have still fit..." will keep me away from this set, too.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#6 of 53 OFFLINE   Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted October 25 2008 - 10:08 AM

Now I can remove this from the amazon wish list....too bad
Edward

#7 of 53 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,695 posts

Posted October 25 2008 - 01:09 PM

Oh Shit......They've gotta be kidding me! I just bought the set a week ago and have yet to go through the discs. I really hope that Warner Bros. does the right thing and issue an exchange program like they did a year ago with their Superman DVD's. It's ridiculous that they would let such a glitch go through in one of their biggest releases so far. I also agree that they should increase the bitrate too......there's no need to be cheap Warner, your sets are selling! Posted Image
Recently watched- Burn Notice: Season 5, Riddick, The Chronicles Of Riddick, The Postman, The Hunger, April Love, Summer Lovers, Journey To The Center Of The Earth(1959), The Bounty, Mississippi Burning, The Wolf Of Wall Street, First Men In The Moon, The Jewel Of The Nile, Romancing The Stone, They Live, Into The Storm, John Wick, Finding Nemo 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 4, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 6, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection, The Walking Dead: Season 5

"You keep what you kill."

#8 of 53 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 25 2008 - 02:43 PM

Its less than a second. I had to back it up and watch it again. If i didnt know what it was, i might have missed it. I have DVDs with motion artifacts that are 100 times worse. Course, that doesnt mean i want Warner to cheapen the product. But who LOOKS for this stuff? It looks fantastic.

#9 of 53 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted October 25 2008 - 05:58 PM

I agree that it's more than likely really small and if you didn't look you may not notice it. However, the HD DVD does not have this glitch and when it comes to hi-def releases people expect nothing short of perfect. And rightly so. After all, that is Blu-ray's promise. I don't own this set yet. I did buy the Matrix set on HD DVD when it was released and still have my mega sd dvd set. Looks like I'll be waiting on this Blu-ray release till the problem is fixed.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#10 of 53 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted October 25 2008 - 06:12 PM

John, did Bond push you over to Blu? If he did, your judgement was sound my friend Posted Image Anyway, we are experiencing quite a few bumps in the road here lately with Blu releases. As hard as it may be to believe, it is worth it. Thank You by the way for the heads up on this. The sets been out over two weeks and no one else has mentioned the glitch.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#11 of 53 OFFLINE   LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted October 26 2008 - 02:58 PM

I thought the look and sound of perfection was HD-DVD's motto Posted Image

#12 of 53 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,791 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 26 2008 - 03:46 PM

It should be noted that on the PS3 the glitch only shows up as a brief frame skip with no artifact distorting, as explained in other threads about this issue on other message boards. This is probably why the issue hasn't received as much attention as it deserves so far.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 53 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 11,078 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 27 2008 - 12:03 AM

I watched all three films over the weekend. I barely even noticed the glitch on Revolutions using a Sony BDP-S350 player. It appeared as a brief frame skip, and I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all if not for this thread.

#14 of 53 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted October 27 2008 - 04:31 AM

Warner Bros. is generally pretty good at doing the 'right thing' in these cases, but they have to know about it first. Therefore, Brandon has hit the nail on the head, which is this issue needs more publicity.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#15 of 53 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,954 posts

Posted October 29 2008 - 03:02 AM

imma go home and check. it is possible that a firmware patch will fix this =P. are the matrix sets BD+? just thinking of reasons why it would skip. early BDs would have some of these issues only to be fixed via software updates later.

#16 of 53 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,791 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 29 2008 - 07:03 AM

No, it's definitely a compression error.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#17 of 53 OFFLINE   Bob-ATL

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted November 06 2008 - 10:33 AM

I just called Warner at 1-800-553-6937. The woman that answered was very nice. I told her about the Matrix Revolutions Blu-Ray glitch and the approximate time in the movie that it occurs. As far as she knew, I was the first to report this. I made sure to tell her that this is a widely reported problem, not just my copy. I also told her that the HD-DVD of Matrix Revolutions did not exhibit this problem. She then gave me another number to call, 1-818-954-6000. Called it and was directed to someone who was not in, but I did leave a voice mail. I'll let you know if I hear back from them. I did forget to mention that on some players (PS3) it skips these bad frames, resulting in a jump cut. So maybe anyone else that calls can mention this. She told me that this info would be forwarded along to the proper parties. If we expect to get this fixed and re-issued, I suggest that everyone who cares about this glitch give them a call. Based on Warner Bros history of correcting and replacing problem discs, I'm fairly optimistic that if enough people call they will replace this eventually. Thanks, Bob

#18 of 53 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 763 posts

Posted November 06 2008 - 04:46 PM

I rented it this weekend. I thought something was up during that scene, so it's definitely an encoding error.

#19 of 53 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,954 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 06:30 AM

i just checked on TWO of my HTPCs with LG-GGC-H20L and powerdvd 8 and 7.3. i do NOT see anything wrong in that scene and i stepped through it frame by frame using MPC/nero showtime as well. no pixelation for me. i've checked it on my 37" 1080p westy and my benq 720p front projecto@100" as well as my friend's house when i'm over, the vizio 42" 1080p. it just doesn't exist! sorry fellas, it's just a matter of ur hardware/firmware updates. it plays perfectly fine here.

#20 of 53 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 11:58 AM

Sufficient people have spotted it to suggest that it DOES exist. Believe me I wish it didn't because I was really looking forward to getting this set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users