Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Progressive Scan on HDTV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Clark Bradley

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted October 23 2008 - 12:30 PM

Hi All,

I have a Philips 30PW8402/37 CRT HDTV and Toshiba SD-5000KU DVD player.

The TV has component and HDMI inputs. Online, I found that the TV has EyeFidelity for progressive scan, however my physical manual does not mention this. Also, the TV is a 1080i.

The DVD player allows for SVideo, Component, Progressive or HD (HDMI) inputs for the TV.

The problem I am having is with the progressive scan. I have the DVD and TV connected with component cables. On the DVD setting "Component" the picture looks fine, same as my old player. When I switch to "Progressive" the picture gets darker, but not any better in quality. What am I doing wrong here?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Clark Bradley

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted October 23 2008 - 12:57 PM

Reading around a bit, it sounds like the progressive scan will only take the picture to 480p. So, with the component selection set, is it possible my TV is upconverting to 1080i? This would explain why the picture is better than progressive scan.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted October 28 2008 - 08:36 AM

Your TV merely needs a slightly different calibration (brightness, contrast, etc.) for the interlaced component input versus the progressive scan input.

Actually we will not rule out the possiblity that the different calibration is needed only for your specific DVD player's interlaced output or for your specific player's progressive output.