What's new

Guns 'N' Roses Chinese Democracy Nov 23 & a free Dr Pepper (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
" ... masterpiece ..." *That* is still yet to be determined.

I think it's cheesy that they only give a 24 hr window to apply for the coupon. Hopefully I can remember!

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
I heard a song from the album yesterday.

Definitely sounds like GNR.

Never been a fan so I can't really say where it ranks compared to their past works.
Sounded good but didn't knock my socks off

barrydalive1

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry Dalive
It doesn't bad but I don't think I'm getting it. Nothing really impressed me either and I was never a die-hard GNR fan anyway.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I don't know what song it is that I heard, but it sounded pretty good IMHO.. I will wait till it arrives so I can sample all the songs to see if I will pick it up or not.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Too bad it's not really GnR. That's just a corporately-owned facade for a decade-overdue solo album from Axl Rose. It's a sham, folks. A forgery. A hype machine for nothing but a facsimile of what used to be. It's supposed to sound like GnR because they've taken 10 years to assure that it does. To me, it's really no different than the story behind the making of Pink Floyd's "Momentary Lapse of Reason" in that they worked hard to make it sound like Floyd because without Roger Waters (or Nick Mason and largely Richard Wright, for that matter) the first attempt at recording the album turned out sounding very much unlike Floyd and more of what it is: a David Gilmour solo album. I'll be surprised if this is a success since the business model definition of that would be recouping however many millions have been spent over the last decade on its production. However, nothing concerning the music business really surprises me anymore.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
There's a deluxe version coming out overseas with two bonus discs and a t-shirt; speculation is this package will become a Best Buy exclusive when CD gets a wide release in the U.S. Not that I think people would be too surprised by an inevitable reissue in a couple months but we've waited this long, why plunk down $12 on something that's gonna be redundant in the near future?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

As compared to The Final Cut, which sounded even less Floyd-like and was a de facto Roger Waters solo album? IMHO MLoR sounds more Floyd-like than Final Cut.

Anyhoo, as one of those 'overseas', I guess now I'll wait and see what sort of 'deluxe' version actually shows up in the shops. It's been 17 years, what's a few more days or weeks? :laugh:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Say what you will about TFC, but at least it had all four of the principle members of the band playing on the album. I think you're missing my point. Even David Gilmour has referred to MLoR as a solo album. And how can it not be when Nick Mason and Wright barely played on the album, let alone had any writing credits. My point was simply that this new GnR has what, 21 or so (reported) different musicians in the studio (and who knows really which of them will actually be in the final mix), and none of them are Slash, Duff, Izzy, Adler or Sorum. It's like Steely Rose.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I understand your point to an extent. There's always debate about when the line is drawn as to when a band is no longer that band any more. The Eagles of today is barely representative of the original lineup. The same with The Who, The Beach Boys and even Led Zeppelin depending on your point of view. I agree that this really is no longer GNR. Having said that, I've heard most of the album and I think it's great. I'll just ignore what they're calling the band and enjoy the music. I'll be buying this next week.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That's how I've always thought about that album, solo Waters. My favorite "PF" album, in any event. Love Waters.

I've enjoyed what I've heard from Chinese Democracy. It's not "Guns and Roses", no, but what they call it doesn't matter all that much to me. G 'n R is one of my favorites, and their shows were some of the best I've ever been to. I'll certainly pick it up to see what Axl's been up to.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I want to make sure everyone in this thread realizes that I'm not bagging on the music. I'm not really interested in it, but from what I've heard it's pretty good stuff. I'm just appalled at the hype machine calling it the "long-awaited, 10-years-in-the-making, return of Guns N' Roses," etc., when it's really an Axl Rose solo album. However, everyone here and the record company knows it will garner more interest and sell more if it's called Guns N' Roses instead of the Axl Rose Project.

And, yes, I am one of those few who love The Final Cut. I always thought it sounded like more of a subdued sequel to The Wall than merely a Waters solo album. Yet, it does sound more like The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking than it does The Wall. But its theme of war and the psychological effect on the children of those who die in them is all Waters. "Take all your overgrown infants away somewhere and build them a home. A little place of their own. The Fletcher Memorial Home for Incurable Tyrants and Kings." Brilliant!

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

From my understanding, Richard Wright was fired during the recording of "The Wall" and was brought back only as a paid musician for the tour of "The Wall". I don't think he had any part of "The Final Cut" (even as a paid musician).

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
You're right, I had misplaced that thought all these years, which reduces my point completely to ashes blowing in the wind.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

I saw RW last summer and TFC numbers were the ones everyone took a chance to sit down and take a break during. Not I, however, and I suspect I was pretty annoying to those around me as I yelled "She bravely waves the boys goodbyyyyye again!" with Roger taking the low part. I was spot-on, thank you.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I was always under the impression that TFC was actually intended to be a sequel to The Wall. Is that not the case?

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
I heard all of Chinese Democracy, and I have to admit, it's pretty solid.
I really wanted it to be terrible, because I can't stand the way people still treat this band as if it's something amazing, when if you break it down, they released ONE great disc in the span of about a quarter of a century.

However, I think that Axl's vocal style in 2008 is the weakest link on the disc.
That sound worked in the 80's and early 90's, but it doesn't really play well now.

Real Name
Dirk
I heard a cut on NPR with a quick review. Doesn't sound so impressive to me. Wasn't a HUGE GNR fan, but now I'm certain I won't ever be.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I picked the disc up yesterday and have to say I thought it was better then what I expected. I wasn't a huge GnR fan growing up, but always enjoyed their music.

The songs are pretty solid, but there isn't a big hook on these songs that would make them stand out from anything on Appetite or Use Your Illusion albums.

As I listened to the album I was taken back on how laid back some of these tracks were. I tried to think of putting myself in an arena listening to some of these songs and only a few of them could I see really satisfying a rock n roll crowd. I think I would of liked a more aggressive sound from Axl on this album.

There is a lot of synthesized drum sounds and vocals that are altered. I wanted to hear a more straight ahead rock and roll record, but when you have 14 years to make these tracks, I guess you would have a time to fit the sound of the current music trend when the album finally is released.

Again I am digging the album, but it feels like it was lacking something.

Paul M

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks