What's new

Dear Disney, Please fix audio dropout on future Jungle Book release (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
This is one of my all-time favorite films. I was surprised by the brief audio pop/dropout during "The Bare Necessities" as Baloo reacts to getting his back scratched back when I purchased the single disc SD-DVD. I figured that one day Disney would address this situation and was overjoyed that last year, the movie was released as a 2-disc Platinum edition DVD. I hoped that the newly remastered audio would correct the dropout, but was once again disappointed to hear the same glitch. I tested the restored mono track and discovered the same glitch in exactly the same spot. Is there not a flaw-free audio recording of this sequence somewhere in the archives? There are a few old Jungle Book 33 1/3 records up for auction on ebay that feature this song and Baloo's reaction sans dropout. Please look into this and correct it for the eventual reissue on DVD and Blu-ray.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Certainly Disney has the resources to correct this issue. What pisses me off is that we're going to have to wait probably 5-6 years to get the Blu-ray, even though the SD Platinum edition is still on the store shelves.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I wouldn't put my hopes up with that. If it wasn't changed in the second dvd, it probably will not be changed for the BR. That's going to have the same transfer, isn't it? I assume the PE was already an HD master.

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator
So Jaxson's Dad,
What words does this dropout / glitch happen between, or is it on a word?
I listened to the DEHT track and didn't hear any dropout.
Could you be a little more descriptive?

I also couldn't imagine that Disney would fix something like that with an old LP. LP's have very different EQ than that of an old feature with the Academy EQ.

That's like saying "you know I don't like that spec on the Mona Lisa so maybe they could use a sharpie and darken that glitch up."

I hear music throughout the entire sequence with no spot where it drops out.
I hear what appears to be a bump in the music witch could be in the original printmaster and that's why it's also heard on the restored mono track too.

Roogs

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug

OK, I'm going to type phonetically here, so bear with me (no pun inteaded). The dropout is on Baloo's reaction that follows "Huh-HOW" and sounds like
"Uuuhh!" The dropout is only a millisecond and in the middle of the "Uuuhh!" When I was a kid I had a Jungle Book 8 track (Remember those??) with the complete version of the song including all the dialog. I played it to death and know it like the back of my hand. That's why I noticed the dropout because it wasn't there in the recording I grew up with. It's jarring to my ears. This isn't going to be a deal breaker for me when the BD finally comes out, but if there's something Disney can do about it, that would be most welcome.

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator
Jaxson's Dad,

If it's just before Baloo says "this is beautiful..." then I must believe that the film soundtrack always was this way.
Many recordings released on other media like LP's and 8-track cassettes weren't actually transfered from the film soundtrack, but rather done separately. These could be recorded specifically for LP or radio broadcast and be very similar to the theatrical, even using different takes or elements to create those. That's assuming that the 8-track didn't actually have this glitch.

Then there is the possibility (of course I'm sure you are correct) that the 8-track actually had this glitch and you just never heard it on the equipment or car stereo you played this back on (in the 70's?). The equipment you are listening to now is so far superior in fidelity and the mix has less noise than the original LP and 8-track cassettes that maybe you are just noticing it now for the first time since you were a kid.

It does sound like the moan is cut a frame short but the music is completely there. It could be different if Disney had separate dialog, vocal, music and effects tracks that were used to make the new version and they cut Baloo's dialog short. But since it's in the original mono recording too, that seems unlikely. Now, no matter what, this movie is slightly tainted for you and I hope the Blu-ray gets improved so you can enjoy it as much as you did in your childhood.

Roogs

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Doug:

Could you please post the time displayed on your player when the dropout happens on the Platinum Edition disc?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks