-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Amadeus & A History of Violence (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 02:07 AM

Oscar’s® on Blu-ray™Hi-Def
AMADEUS DIRECTOR’S CUT
&
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

Two Critically-Acclaimed Academy Award® Films Debut
on Blu-ray Hi-Def February 10 in time for Awards Season!

Burbank, Calif., October 20, 2008 – Celebrate the 2009 Awards season with the Blu-ray Hi-Def releases of Amadeus Director’s Cut (winner of eight Oscars® including Best Picture) and
A History of Violence (Academy Award nominations for Best Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor).

Amadeus Director’s Cut, with an additional 30 minutes which includes deleted scenes and extended scenes, will be the Blu-ray Hi-Def version of the title and will be presented with an exclusive bonus book packaging with 35 pages of insightful essays, beautiful photography, trivia and details about Mozart and his music. The Blu-ray Hi-Def also includes a special CD compilation from the Best Sound Oscar-winning original film soundtrack created especially for this release. Also included will be a digital download copy of the film for use with Windows Media and iPod portable devices.

Nominated for eleven Oscars and winner of eight, Amadeus was directed by Milos Forman from the Peter Shaffer screenplay. Tom Hulce, F. Murray Abraham, Jeffrey Jones, and Christine Ebersole, among others, starred in the film based on events in the life of classical composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

A History of Violence, the tough, groundbreaking film from director David Cronenberg, with a screenplay by Josh Olson, also debuts on Blu-ray. The movie stars Viggo Mortensen, William Hurt, Ed Harris and Maria Bello and was nominated for two Oscars -- Best Supporting Actor (Hurt) and Best Screenplay.

Amadeus Director’s Cut will sell for $35.99 SRP and A History of Violence will sell for $28.99 SRP. Orders are due January 6, 2009.

About The Films

Amadeus (1984)
Amadeus. The man. The music. The magic. The madness. This is the incredible, mostly true story about the relationship between two composers in 18th century Vienna -- Antonio Salieri (F. Murray Abraham), the successful court composer for Emperor Joseph of Austria, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Tom Hulce), a child prodigy who, while vulgar and irritating, writes the greatest music the world has ever heard. The film unfolds in a series of flashbacks, as Salieri is consumed with jealously by Mozart’s natural talent, and is unable to accept the knowledge that he will never possess the genius of a man he cannot stand.

Special Features:
· Director’s Cut commentary by director and writer
· The Making of Amadeus documentary
· Theatrical trailer
· BONUS DISC: Soundtrack Compilation CD
· Digital download copy of the Director’s Cut (run time: 180 minutes)

CD Sampler Track Listing:
1.W.A. Mozart: Die Entführung aus dem Serail (The Abduction from the Seraglio, K.384), Chorus of the Janissaries (arr.)/Ich möchte wohl (Ein Deutsches Kriegslied), K.539 (arr.) 4:30, Sir Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields.
2.W.A. Mozart: Concerto for Two Pianos, K.365; 3rd movement 7:15 Sir Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields; Imogen Cooper, Anne QueffelecCpianos.
3.W.A. Mozart: Le nozze di Figaro, Act IV, Ah Tutti Contenti 2:19, Sir Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields.
4.W.A. Mozart: Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute), Aria (No. 14), “Queen of the Night” (Die Hölle Rache Kocht) 6:53, Sir Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields; Louisa KennedyCsoprano.
5.W.A. Mozart: Piano Concerto in D minor, K.466; 2nd movement (Romanza) 12:21, Sir Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields; Imogen CooperCpiano.
6.W.A. Mozart: Symphonie Concertante, K.364; 1st movement 13:38=, Sir Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields; Levon Chilingirian Cviolin; Csaba ErdélyiCviola.
7.W.A. Mozart: Six German Dances (Nos. 1-3), K. 509. 2:52, Sir Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields.
8.W.A. Mozart: Don Giovanni, K.527; Act II, Commendatore scene 6:56, Sir Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields; Ambrosian Opera Chorus, John McCarthyCdirector. Richard Stilwell (Don Giovanni), John Tomlinson (Commendatore), Willard White (Leporello).

A History of Violence (2005)
Everyone has something to hide. This is the story of a mild-mannered man named Tom Stall (Mortensen) who lives a happy and quiet life with his lawyer wife (Bello) and their two children in the small town of Millbrook, Indiana. One night their idyllic existence is shattered when Tom foils a vicious attempted robbery in his diner and becomes a local hero through this act of violence. The resulting media spotlight unwittingly changes the lives of Tom and his family in ways they never could have foreseen.

Special Features:

· Feature commentary with director David Cronenberg
· Violence’s History: United States version vs. International version - A look at scenes that were altered for violence in the United States
· Too Commercial for Cannes - This piece follows the cast and crew to Cannes for the film’s showing
· Acts of Violence - A look at several central scenes within the movie
Act 1 – Random
Act 2 – American Hero
Act 3 – Bully
Act 4 – Eye for an Eye
Act 5 -- Lies
Act 6 — Gangster Sex
Act 7 — Sibling Rivalry
Act 8 — Hope
Additional footage
Scene 44 with optional commentary by director David Cronenberg
The Unmaking of Scene 44 - Featurette detailing the creation of Scene 44
Trailers
Theatrical trailer

OSCAR BLU-RAY HI-DEF PROMOTION
Street Date: February 10, 2009
Order Due Date: January 6, 2009

Amadeus Director’s Cut
Run Time: 180 Minutes
Dolby TrueHD
Rated PG
$35.99 SRP

A History of Violence
Run Time: 96 Minutes
Dolby TrueHD
Rated R
$28.99 SRP

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts
  • LocationMid-West, USA

Posted October 20 2008 - 02:20 AM

Only problem with this is that, contrary to the Press Release, the "Director's Cut" of Amadeus didn't win any Academy Awards. I'll probably pass on this. I just wish WB would include the original theatrical cut as well and offer it via seamless branching. Oh well.
The Star Wars Special Editions: Just 'cause you can, don't mean you should.

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,542 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 20 2008 - 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon's Dad
Only problem with this is that, contrary to the Press Release, the "Director's Cut" of Amadeus didn't win any Academy Awards. I'll probably pass on this. I just wish WB would include the original theatrical cut as well and offer it via seamless branching. Oh well.

Same here. I love the theatrical cut of this film, but did not care for the extended scenes added in the director's cut. There is no reason the theatrical cut couldn't be included via seamless branching.

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 04:38 AM

Amadeus will be yet another Warner BD in that horrible book packaging that they seem so fond of. Having inflicted snapper cases on us for several years in the DVD era, it seems they are determined to be annoyingly different. I'll keep the DVD for now and wait until it's released elsewhere on BD in a proper case.
Bruce Morrison

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison
Having inflicted snapper cases on us for several years in the DVD era, it seems they are determined to be annoyingly different.

Indeed. Horrible book packaging. No proper disc menus. Infrequent use of lossless sound. WB certainly DOES know how to be different - and annoying :-(

Presumably this is still the slightly cut version of History Of Violence? (See the feature about scene 44). I might wait for the UK edition cos the previous UK DVD was uncut.

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,514 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 20 2008 - 06:34 AM

I am EXTREMELY disappointed that the BD edition of Amadeus won't include the theatrical cut. The Director's Cut is an interesting curiosity, but distinctly inferior.

It's 2008 and I STILL can't get rid of that old flipper disc? Shame on you, Warner. Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 07:09 AM

This is too bad. Amadeus is one of my favorites, and it probably will look beautiful in BR. Why didn't they just offer both cuts at once? It's inevitable that yet another version will show up in the future, but they can put at least some effort in this one. All we're asking is both cuts, that's not much.

No, I'm not going to complain about the packaging. I kind of like those book cases Posted Image.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,038 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 07:31 AM

I don't like the "book" cases, but it wouldn't stop me from purchasing a movie. The lack of a theatrical cut will stop me, however.

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 20 2008 - 07:36 AM

From my understanding, Saul Zaentz has the rights to Amadues, with Warner simply distributing. It is likely that Warner does not have the rights to release the Theatrical Cut without his approval. It seems that Zaentz and Foreman prefer the Director's Cut.

As for the book case - I like it, personally.

Glad to see the Soundtrack CD as an added bonus. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Llappin

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 07:49 AM

Personally, I am very pleasantly surprised to get this beautiful movie on BD, director’s cut or theatrical version either way is good.

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison
Amadeus will be yet another Warner BD in that horrible book packaging that they seem so fond of. Having inflicted snapper cases on us for several years in the DVD era, it seems they are determined to be annoyingly different. I'll keep the DVD for now and wait until it's released elsewhere on BD in a proper case.
This argument never fails to be laughably ridiculous...

Don't like the packaging? The why complain when you can spend 5 minutes looking for an alternate cover and less than 50 cents to get a regular Blu-ray case? Not buying a release you want solely because of the packaging is counter-productive for both yourself and the rest of us, since it's not as if Warner can read your mind. They just see it as a catalog title not selling, no matter how stupid the reason.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
From my understanding, Saul Zaentz has the rights to Amadues, with Warner simply distributing. It is likely that Warner does not have the rights to release the Theatrical Cut without his approval. It seems that Zaentz and Foreman prefer the Director's Cut.

As for the book case - I like it, personally.

Glad to see the Soundtrack CD as an added bonus. Posted Image

Why do I suddenly get the feeling it's going to take several re-releases for them to get the theatrical and the director's cut released together? I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,581 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted October 20 2008 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

Don't like the packaging? The why complain when you can spend 5 minutes looking for an alternate cover and less than 50 cents to get a regular Blu-ray case? Not buying a release you want solely because of the packaging is counter-productive for both yourself and the rest of us, since it's not as if Warner can read your mind. They just see it as a catalog title not selling, no matter how stupid the reason.
I often wonder if people who refuse to buy a title simply because of its packaging also only buy books that are the same size. My bookshelves (and I have many--I probably have more books than some small-town libraries) are stacked with books unequal in height (to a lesser extent, so are my CD and DVD shelves). What matters is what is on the page (disc/tape/etc.).

Besides, when confronted with irregular sized disc cases, if needed, I set up a separate shelf. But the digibook cases are not THAT different (and I too like what comes inside the case).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
It seems that Zaentz and Foreman prefer the Director's Cut.

Maybe that's why it's called a Director's Cut. Posted Image

All of us know that there are a multitude of reasons why the vast majority of theatrical releases are not what the director intended. Most of the time it relates to showings per day, which influences theater owners. Just as frequently, it's based upon test screenings and focus groups. I'll avoid going any further about the notorious lack of patience among...you guessed it: U.S. audiences.

All these issues and more, have been beat to death in countless forums.

I'm very excited to have 'Amadeus' on BD. It's one that I've been waiting for. Sure, it would be ideal to have both the director's cut and theatrical cut, but it would be worse, in my opinion, to have theatrical only.

I'm extremely pleased to have Foreman's original vision. Who am I to place my judgement above his? To say that the director's cut "didn't win an Academy Award", seems rather hollow. If it had been the chosen cut to begin with, nobody would be the wiser.

Okay guys...let me have it with both barrels.

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,038 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilkins
I'm extremely pleased to have Foreman's original vision. Who am I to place my judgement above his?

You are the consumer.

When it comes to deciding whether or not to spend my hard-earned money on a DVD or Blu-ray disc, no one's judgment is more important than mine. Just because Foreman directed the movie, doesn't mean I have to share his opinion of which version of it is better. And while I respect his artistic right to release whichever version he likes, and am glad he is able to do so, I simply don't want to spend my money on a disc which includes only the version of the film that I find inferior.

It's not a choice I should have to make in the first place. With seamless branching technology, WHV (or whomever it is that decided to release only the director's cut) could please everyone. Since they chose not to, I shall register my displeasure by declining to purchase the disc.

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafink
When it comes to deciding whether or not to spend my hard-earned money on a DVD or Blu-ray disc, no one's judgment is more important than mine. Just because Foreman directed the movie, doesn't mean I have to share his opinion of which version of it is better.

Wooooo... look out!

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Aragorn the Elfstone

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 09:24 AM

The Theatrical Cut was hailed as a classic for 18 years before the "Director's Cut" was released. It is unforgivable that this version is being ignored in favor of the DC. Posted Image

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,215 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 20 2008 - 09:33 AM

I should state that I also find the theatrical cut better paced, but ultimately the Director's Cut works just fine for me.

I totally understand if someone does not want to purchase this release based on the cut of the film being provided. I was simply pointing out that Warner may not be able to have the option of releasing the theatrical cut in this instance.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

If the people at Warner still look at relevant threads in these forums, as mentioned here previously, then they won't need to read my mind. Anyway, if this title doesn't sell well, it's most likely to be because of its high price - due presumably to what Warner consider to be de-luxe packaging.

And it's not as if I'm going to forego having Amadeus on BD eventually. I'll simply wait until it comes out in the UK (for preference) or elsewhere. At least Warner BDs are region-free so that won't be a problem. Meanwhile, I'll still have the DVD (and a very good upscaling player).
Bruce Morrison

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 10:51 AM

Milos Forman is one of my favorite directors and Amadeus is my most favorite of all his films, infact Amadeus is one of my all time favorite movies, period. It is a title that I have been waiting to get on Blu-Ray and when I saw the announcement for a blu-Ray release, I was thrilled. But alas, the joy was short lived, for as usual, Warner had to fuck up this release too by only including a non original cut of the film. I fail to understand how can Warner, or anyone else for that matter, justify releasing an altered version of a film, that was nominated by the academy in Eleven categories for an academy award and which won Eight of those nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director. On one hand we make a hue and cry about any changes made in Aspect Ratio and sound presentation, but somehow some of us find it okay to alter the actual film itself. Now don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no issues with 'director cuts' and or 'longer cuts' of a film being released but I certainly take issue to those cuts replacing the original film itself, specially in the case of a universally accepted classic and one which has been so highly awarded.

After the aspect ratio change by Criterion for the blu-ray release of 'The Last Emperor', this is the second worse news there has been on the Blu-Ray front in recent times. I would have actually preferred, that Warner not release this until they were prepared to include the original cut of the film too. Ofcourse we all know, that such a release will ultimately come and that this decision simply emanates from nothing else but Warner's greed and as an attempt to make us all double dip. I personally have bought this film on VHS, twice on Laser Disc (second time for the Dolby Digital sound) and then on DVD. With the Laser Disc it was not Warner's fault, simply because Dolby Digital as a format did not exist when the film was first released. But the same situation does not hold now in the case of a blu-ray release and Warner shall definately not get my money until I get the film, that I like.

Although I know that mine and similar pleas from others are probably going to fall on deaf ears, I woiuld still like to appeal to Warner, that it is still not too late, after all there are still almost four months to go for the Blu-Ray release, please include the original Academy Award winning theatrical cut of the film via branching. In any case, Warner had better not write Academy Award winner on the cover of this release, that is, if in fact the blu-ray does not include the actual award winning cut of the film, for that would not only be misleading, but also may constitute as lying and therefore illegal.
Sanjay
Member since July - August 1997

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow