Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where to obtain firmware update for Magnavox NB500MG9?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted October 19 2008 - 09:32 AM

This is odd, my friend wishes to update her Magnavox and neither she or I can find anywhere to get it, we even tried Magnavox's site and they didn't even have anything that had to do with BD anywhere! Posted Image

I did a Google search with every possible combination of words I could think of and still nothing, just reviews and forums.

Where can she go to get a FW update for this player? Does she need to contact Magnavox and have them send her an update disc?

Thanks.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 19 2008 - 11:25 AM

It appears this is one of many players made by Funai for various labels.

The best I can find for you is this thread around post #195 on page 10 which also gives an email address. The short answer is that it doesn't look like Funai has released any FW updates for any of their players. From a quick read it doesn't seem to be a high priority for them either.

Funai BD Player - Owner's Thread (Magnavox. Sylvania, Insignia, etc.) - Blu-ray Forum

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted October 19 2008 - 11:56 AM

Thanks, David. Posted Image

It sounds as though Funai rushed into the market with no thought given to the longevity of their products. They essentially created BD players that are just waiting to become obsolete. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 19 2008 - 12:26 PM

I've looked some more and can't find anything indicating Funai has released any FW updates. There was one 'review' by someone with a Sylvania who said he had updated from FW 1.6 to 2.6 which he had gotten from the manufacturers site in early October, but I can't find any confirmation of this anywhere on any other forum or at Sylvania (who doesn't even have the BR listed on their product list much less in the support section).

After reading more of the review i actually wonder if the guy had a Sony product. Amazon actually has a list of FW websites, but none of the Funai OEM products have FW links.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,871 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted October 29 2008 - 05:01 AM

There's a long thread on the Funai players over at AVS forum. The upshot is that there isn't any FW upgrade either existing or planned.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   wiltonsmith27

wiltonsmith27

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 23 2010 - 02:32 PM

It appears that funai planned for the blu-ray player to be obsolete. Should be a class action law suit.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   honeybl

honeybl

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 27 2011 - 09:11 AM

Not sure if anyone ever answered this, but just in case it's needed, the software upgrades can be found here http://www.magnavox....layer.php?id=23

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   ecamacho21

ecamacho21

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 19 2011 - 02:02 PM

http://www.funaiservice.com/ Browse to "Blu-ray player" and locate the model number. Follow the instructions on how to download the update.