Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What DVD's offer Digital Copy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted October 19 2008 - 02:17 AM

Does anyone know which DVD's (current and future) are offering Digital Copy?

And have you used it, and your feelings about it?

Thanks Jack
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,095 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted October 20 2008 - 03:21 AM

The list is quite large, probably over 100 titles, and it varies widely by implementation. Some offer digital copies on-disc. Some offer digital copies available for download. Some offer digital copies available for download at a reduced fee. Some offer digital copies that are compatible with iTunes. Warner/New Line has done all of those, although to date, the only iTunes compatible digital copy Warner has offered is exclusive to the Speed Racer Blu-Ray release.

I have little use for them unless they are iTunes friendly, in which case I use them as a portable SD version of the movie. One exception is being discussed in the review thread for The New World Extended Cut DVD. For that film, the digital download is a third unique version of the film representative of its initial Oscar-qualifying theatrical premiere before it was further trimmed for wide release.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted October 21 2008 - 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden
Warner/New Line has done all of those, although to date, the only iTunes compatible digital copy Warner has offered is exclusive to the Speed Racer Blu-Ray release.

Warner has added a couple more that are iTunes compatible.....The Matrix and Constantine Blu-ray releases have them. I downloaded them to my iPod last night. I kind of find it cool that I'm carrying the matrix around with me everywhere I go. Posted Image
Recently watched- The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D, Phantasm II, Star Trek: Season 1, The Expendables 3, The Monuments Men, Oculus, The Sessions, A Walk Among The Tombstones, Commando, Goon, Michael Jackson's This Is It, American Reunion, Platoon, American Wedding, American Pie 2

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 2

"All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in the rain."

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,095 posts

Posted October 21 2008 - 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J.D
Warner has added a couple more that are iTunes compatible.....The Matrix and Constantine Blu-ray releases have them. I downloaded them to my iPod last night. I kind of find it cool that I'm carrying the matrix around with me everywhere I go. Posted Image
...or is it carrying you? Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA

Posted October 29 2008 - 08:07 AM

In regards to Digital Copy, I really like them as long as they are compatable with iTunes software, since I have an iPod. I have no problem taking those movies with me whereever I go. So far, I only have Juno and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, although I do plan to get The Bank Job at some point too as well.

Regarding studio's positions on it, no one has mentioned Sony yet, which has so far only offered Digital copy for the PC, Playstation 3, and PSP systems. If the Pineapple Express press release is correct though, that will be their first iTunes compatable digital copy, which means that will be on my iPod when it comes out.

I like the Digital Copy format though. However, if you don't have an iPod though, it is kind of worthless (unless you watch movies on your PC of course).
"...so here we go." --"Punch-Drunk Love"

Last 5 Blu-Rays Purchased: Notes on a Scandal (2006), The Big Chill: Criterion Collection (1983), Schindler's List (1993), Casper (1995), The Fault in Our Stars: Little Infinities Edition (2014)

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted November 01 2008 - 10:04 AM

Ken,Joe and Nic, thanks for the info.
jack
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,095 posts

Posted November 02 2008 - 05:25 AM

Warners has there first couple of SD DVDs w/ iTunes compatible digital copy coming in the next couple of weeks: the 2-disc SEs of Get Smart and Star Wars: Clone Wars.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted December 10 2008 - 06:33 AM

Can these be only used once? The disc and codes in itunes?
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted December 10 2008 - 10:44 AM

The four movie set of Rambo included a digital copy of the last film for use on your iPod...as did the three-disc copy of Incredible Hulk (the Edward Norton film).

Those are the only two I have so far, but I really like the fact that I have my entire music library as well as a bunch of trailers and a couple of films on my iPod Classic! And I still have tons of room!
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

Forum Nav Content I Follow