What's new

Why is my sound cutting in and out? (1 Viewer)

Cryptic616

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Holland
I recently purchased a PS3 for my first adventure into Blu-Ray. I have the PS3 hooked up to my Sony receiver model STR-DE885 via the optical audio connection. Whenever I try to run a Blu-Ray movie through my surround sound the sound cuts in and out. It acts like it looses the signal all together. I first thought bad cable but it's fiber.....it either works or it doesn't.

Is the PS3 putting out more sound than my receiver can handle?

Anything else I should check?

Help!! I want to hear that new THX surround sound demo at the beginning of Indiana Jones through my surround sound!!!

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I believe your receiver is one of the "defective" models that is unable to handle the 640Kbps Dolby Digital bitrate. This happens with some older receivers. Your options are to (a) use 2-channel analog out from the PS3 with ProLogic II decoding in your receiver, or (b) buy a new receiver.

Cryptic616

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Holland
That's kind of what I thought. My question is that why doesn't it do it when I am playing a video game through my surround sound? Different output? Thanks for the response.

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I'm not very knowledgeable about video games. But I'd guess that the game is either outputting a lower-bitrate Dolby Digital signal (448Kbps or less) or DTS, or a 2-channel PCM signal that your receiver is converting to multi-channel via Dolby ProLogic II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks