-

Photo
- - - - -

Want to save someone's life? Learn "Staying Alive"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 09:24 AM

Now you have no excuse not to know the song....

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. doctors have found the Bee Gees 1977 disco anthem "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal beat to follow while performing chest compressions as part of CPR on a heart attack victim.

The American Heart Association calls for chest compressions to be given at a rate of 100 per minute in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). "Stayin' Alive" almost perfectly matches that, with 103 beats per minute.

CPR is a lifesaving technique involving chest compressions alone or with mouth-to-mouth rescue breathing. It is used in emergencies such as cardiac arrest in which a person's breathing or heartbeat has stopped.

CPR can triple survival rates, but some people are reluctant to do it in part because they are unsure about the proper rhythm for chest compressions. But research has shown many people do chest compressions too slowly during CPR.

In a small study headed by Dr. David Matlock of the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, listening to "Stayin' Alive" helped 15 doctors and medical students to perform chest compressions on dummies at the proper speed.

Five weeks after practicing with the music playing, they were asked to perform CPR again on dummies by keeping the song in their minds, and again they kept up a good pace.

"The theme 'Stayin' Alive' is very appropriate for the situation," Matlock said in a telephone interview on Thursday. "Everybody's heard it at some point in their life. People know the song and can keep it in their head."

The findings will be presented this month at a meeting of the American College of Emergency Physicians in Chicago.

SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#2 of 3 Ralphie_B

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 04:26 AM

My wife and I took a "heart saver baby" course earlier this year, to learn the basics of child CPR before our first child was born. The course first covered adult CPR, then moved on to child and infant CPR. Anyhow, this little fact about 100 BPM / 'disco' rhythm being the ideal speed for chest compressions did come up during the class, and I think "Stayin' Alive" was mentioned by name!

#3 of 3 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 17 2008 - 08:48 AM

Heh, wonder if they will be teaching that in our next CPR, or ACLS classes at work.
Yep, i work in the medical field.

Everyone (including kids!) should know CPR.
My daughter took a class before she started baby sitting when she was 15.