Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LCD Black Level

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 QuiescentWonder

QuiescentWonder

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 08:43 AM

Having scoured the Internet for information on this I've ended up here. On every LCD I've ever seen, black has appeared as grey. Can someone explain to me why exactly LCDs are like this? Have I just not seen any quality LCDs?

#2 of 7 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiescentWonder
Having scoured the Internet for information on this I've ended up here. On every LCD I've ever seen, black has appeared as grey. Can someone explain to me why exactly LCDs are like this? Have I just not seen any quality LCDs?
The "back light" feature plays a part in this problem. Between "contrast" settings and "back light" settings and "bright" settings, you'll need to find a marriage that will give you the blacks you are after. Although, they may not be as deep and impressive as some DLP's and Plasma's on the market.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#3 of 7 QuiescentWonder

QuiescentWonder

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 02:12 PM

Is there such a thing as an LCD that can produce a true black as a CRT can?

#4 of 7 bosawx17

bosawx17

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 02:27 PM

LCD's cannot produce a true black. And contrast does not control your blacks either. Contrast controls your white levels while brightness controls your black levels. Depending on what kind of LCD you are looking at, a lot of them have a black enhancement mode as well. Just depends on the brands and models as well.

#5 of 7 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosawx17
And contrast does not control your blacks either.
No one said it did. What was said by me was, between the three settings of Contrast,Bright and Back Light used together may yield a darker black than is currently present. It takes some tweaking and won't be perfect, but, you can make an LCD screen a hell of alot better than they are when it comes to blacks.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#6 of 7 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 18 2008 - 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiescentWonder
Is there such a thing as an LCD that can produce a true black as a CRT can?

The short answer is "No."

LCDs have gotten much better in recent years at reproducing something more like a true black than they did in the old days, but they still cannot match what a CRT (or plasma, DLP or LCoS) does - and probably never will. It seems to be an inherent limitation of the technology.

I believe that plasma, CRT and DLP are your only real choices for true. I'm not certain about LCD front- or rear-projection systems, since I never serioulsy auditioned any. I suspect that they also fall short in the black-level department, but don't know that for a fact.

Regards,

Joe

#7 of 7 Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted October 18 2008 - 06:33 AM

The fundamental problem is that current LCD displays all have their light-source on, all of the time. The crossed polarizers block MOST of the light to make black.

Future and some existing HDR monitors use a whole bunch of backlights, and can actually turn off the backlights in areas that are showing "black", or even turn them down dynamically as their region goes dark.

Leo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow