What's new

LCD Black Level (1 Viewer)

QuiescentWonder

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
Having scoured the Internet for information on this I've ended up here. On every LCD I've ever seen, black has appeared as grey. Can someone explain to me why exactly LCDs are like this? Have I just not seen any quality LCDs?

troy evans

Screenwriter
The "back light" feature plays a part in this problem. Between "contrast" settings and "back light" settings and "bright" settings, you'll need to find a marriage that will give you the blacks you are after. Although, they may not be as deep and impressive as some DLP's and Plasma's on the market.

bosawx17

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
LCD's cannot produce a true black. And contrast does not control your blacks either. Contrast controls your white levels while brightness controls your black levels. Depending on what kind of LCD you are looking at, a lot of them have a black enhancement mode as well. Just depends on the brands and models as well.

troy evans

Screenwriter
No one said it did. What was said by me was, between the three settings of Contrast,Bright and Back Light used together may yield a darker black than is currently present. It takes some tweaking and won't be perfect, but, you can make an LCD screen a hell of alot better than they are when it comes to blacks.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The short answer is "No."

LCDs have gotten much better in recent years at reproducing something more like a true black than they did in the old days, but they still cannot match what a CRT (or plasma, DLP or LCoS) does - and probably never will. It seems to be an inherent limitation of the technology.

I believe that plasma, CRT and DLP are your only real choices for true. I'm not certain about LCD front- or rear-projection systems, since I never serioulsy auditioned any. I suspect that they also fall short in the black-level department, but don't know that for a fact.

Regards,

Joe

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The fundamental problem is that current LCD displays all have their light-source on, all of the time. The crossed polarizers block MOST of the light to make black.

Future and some existing HDR monitors use a whole bunch of backlights, and can actually turn off the backlights in areas that are showing "black", or even turn them down dynamically as their region goes dark.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks