What's new

Hockey Talk: The Official NHL 2008-2009 Thread (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
All right guys, another season of the fastest, most exciting professional team sport is underway! Just a few topics for discussion to kick things off...

Can the Red Wings repeat? Or more importantly, can anyone stop these guys? And now they have Hossa for one season, will this make them even more formidable, or will last year's chemistry be gone?

Penguins--lost a few guys to other teams, and a few more to injury. Can the successes of the past two seasons be built upon?

Sean Avery--The bad boy of hockey is in a deep hole already this year with 2 game misconducts. How soon until suspension? Will he be off his game now? Maybe he shouldn't have taken that summer internship...

Let's hear you talk up your favorite team! Everyone still has hope at this point, right?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My Habs are looking strong. They added Alex Tanguay and Robert Lang to an already potent offense. Their only significant loss was Mark Streit, who played the point on the league's #1 power play. Their young talent is starting to mature -- especially the Kostitsyn brothers. The big question is whether their two young, talented goalies continue to develop. Cary Price looked great last regular season, but was very shaky in the playoffs and was the reason they lost to Philly.

The Wings will be tough to knock off, but there is a reason no team has repeated as champs in awhile. The regular season and playoffs are a long grind, and it's very difficult to survive two straight years.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Most prognosticators are predicting the Blues will finish near the bottom of the heap in the West. I think they will surprise and sneak into the playoffs in maybe an 8 spot. Unfortunately, they lost their future star defenseman, Eric Johnson, to a season ending knee injury involving a golf cart. That was a painful loss and a freak accident that seems to happens to Blue's players.

The Blues are relying pretty heavily on youth now. Their top draft pick is playing on defense, Alex Pietrangelo, (18 yo) and he is def learning on the job. Patrick Berglund from Sweden will challenge for the Calder. He's got some pretty exciting moves and is fun to watch. The Blues are rolling 3 lines that can score now which hasn't happened since they won the President's trophy.

The Blues have also (so far in 3 games) revitalized their anemic power play from last year and are on a blistering pace. I think they are 7-14 right now. Tkachuk (4 goals) and Kariya have been doing well. The penalty kill seems to be holding despite losing a key killer like Jamal Mayers.

The Wings are going to be tough for sure. I think they probably will repeat.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I don't think any other sport gets rid of coaches as often as hockey. They don't get credit for what they do right, but always seem to get blamed for what goes wrong.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

maybe the flyers coach should get fired.

they should not be 0-4

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am interested in seeing how #1 overall draft pick Steve Stamkos does with Tampa this season. We saw him a couple of times last season in the Ontario Hockey League -- we attend quite a few Plymouth Whalers games. The kid stood out head and shoulders above the rest of the players on the ice. He has real talent.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
It's still too early to hit the panic button for the Flyers. I know they have gotten off to worse starts than this in the past, then bounced back.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Ouch. Hate to see the Pens blow a 3 goal lead. They had been doing a good job preventing Ovechkin from scoring too, what a wasted effort!

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Was enjoying last night's game for the Pens until the 3rd - that period hurt. Got outshot something like 20 to 6 I think. They were outshooting the Caps by a nice margin before that period.

Question - when does Crosby get a goal. Answer - 2 on Saturday v. the Leafs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Comcast had a free preview this past week for the NHL Center Ice package, so I was able to catch two extra Montreal games -- wins against Philly and Boston. Unfortunately, Comcast is not showing any of these games in high definition, even though the Habs - Bruins feed was coming from NESN-HD. I would love to see more Montreal games, but cannot see paying $160 for this package if none of the games are in HD. As it is, I will have to settle for the occasional game on CBC (our affiliate usually shows Toronto instead), plus what I can find streamed online.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
History was made during the Montreal - Minnesota game last night. Saku and Mikku Koivu became the first brothers to face each other in an NHL game as their respective teams' captains.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Ugh, the Pens blow another lead. It's 3-1 and when I come back they've lost 4-3. Sure, they come from behind a lot to win games, but I think I'd rather see 60 minutes of consistent hockey, if there is such a thing. Between the Pens and the Steelers I'm not sure my heart can take much more of this!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Bob, I think the Pens need more consistent goaltending if they want to get over the hump. Fluery has potential, but he's been hurt and has shown the inconsistency of a young goalie. He may mature, though, which should be your hope.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
As long as the Bruins defeat the Habs, I'm happy. ;)

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator

Hey Bob.

I agree 100 percent - they need to toughen up on the PP and get some action in front of the net. 2 man advantage and just 3 shots. Getting too cute...also, D injuries have hurt. Gill now is going to be out for 2 to 4 weeks, so that doesn't help. Hopefully Whitney's return is on track.

Gonchar being out not only hurts the PP point, but D as well. He's still not due back til much later this season...

I wouldn't pin this on Fleury - geez, he's been hurt the last two weeks and played really well in the playoffs. Hopefully he comes back and we can get going. He is practicing again...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Bruins beating the Habs is like a happy butterfly floating gently on the breeze over a sunny garden as little birdies fill the air with a joyous tune.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
LOL! That line above reminded me suspiciously of Mr. Spock in the episode Charlie X. ;)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Lucic beating the tar out of Komisarek right after scoring a goal is like all of the above plus Kathy Ireland in her prime peeling and feeding you grapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks