Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dear Studios: Please make pop-up menus that are SILENT and don't SHRINK SCREEN SIZE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,735 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 06:56 PM

Count me as one of the people who think that pop-up menus are actually a cool feature of Blu-rays. I use them a lot. I like plain ones. I like designer ones.

But the two things I can't stand are when pop-up menus:

1. Pop-up menus that make noises. The whole point of a pop-up menu is to be able to navigate without leaving the movie. The ads for BD say it themselves. But nothing takes you out of a movie as when a pop-up menu makes noises as it comes up and/or as you cycle through the options. Often these noises are louder than the movie sounds.

2. Pop-up menus that shrink (often greatly) the screen size of the movie. Take Ratatouille for example. I have a 60" SXRD TV. But when I enable the pop-up menu on Ratatouille, the residual movie picture has got to be iPod Touch screen size. Way to not take me out of the movie.

Perhaps the guiding force to making good pop-up menus should be this: less is more.
[/rant]

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 15 2008 - 07:14 PM

The studios consider those Java-encoded features cool bells and whistles to sell Blu-ray on. That's just the way it is right now.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 08:51 PM

I agree with Carlo. Yesterday I watched "Nightmare before Christmas" and it was jarring to navigate the Menu. Even the sound dropped out for some seconds. Fortunately, most Studios seem to keep the pop-up menu simple. I like Warners and Sonys best.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,672 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 09:14 PM

Make the pop up menus not too big, silent and please keep it within the active picture area - many HT enthusiasts with scope screens and masking systems have grown to hate the popup menues that are in the black bars for scope movies. Would be good if all studios could do as Universal does and have it pop up from the left side of the screen for everything that is 16:9 and wider, very cool.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 01:05 AM

I agree with the sentiment about Ratatouille's menu (Disney's "total menu" concept). I can't stand them for some reason. Cars, and Pirates I and II have great pop up menus. To me, they set the standard for what should be done.

-R
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 01:25 AM

Another vote against the shrinking picture style. Its too distracting. Hopefully its a style that won't last too long.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Patrick.C

Patrick.C

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 02:15 AM

The strangest one I've come across is on Mad Men Season 1. The menu changes emit an enormously loud "swoosh" sound that would be much more at home on a sci-fi movie than a drama set in the early 60's. I wonder what Lionsgate was thinking on that one.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 02:27 AM

Fox is a terrible offender when it comes to noisy menus. The pop-ups on the Point Break Blu-ray make absurdly loud wave sounds, and there's no way to shut if off (at least none that I can find).

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 03:52 AM

Silence is golden.
Death to PG-13! And now death to DVNR too!!

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 16 2008 - 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
Fox is a terrible offender when it comes to noisy menus. The pop-ups on the Point Break Blu-ray make absurdly loud wave sounds, and there's no way to shut if off (at least none that I can find).

M.
Menu audio is part of the 'secondary audio' aspect of the format. Each player has a way to turn it off in the firmware. The only caveat to that is that any Picture-in-Picture commentary audio will then also be turned off.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina
But nothing takes you out of a movie as when a pop-up menu makes noises as it comes up and/or as you cycle through the options. Often these noises are louder than the movie sounds.
Actually, just using the pop-up menu would take you out of the movie more then the noises it makes. Once I start a movie, I don't use the pop-up menus at all. I set everything up the way I want before the movie starts. Out of curiosity, what is it that you need access to in the pop-up menu so much that this becomes a problem?
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,735 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P
Actually, just using the pop-up menu would take you out of the movie more then the noises it makes. Once I start a movie, I don't use the pop-up menus at all. I set everything up the way I want before the movie starts. Out of curiosity, what is it that you need access to in the pop-up menu so much that this becomes a problem?
A number of things. Cycling through audio or subs, looking at what commentaries or other concurrent extras might be available, etc. I realize that the use of it by definition takes your focus away from just movie watching (and like you I rarely ever use it on my first viewing of a film, usually it's with movies I'm familiar with and re-watching). But nothing is as jarring as the sound that some of these menus make, often at fairly loud volumes. That's just annoying and unnecessary.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 06:18 AM

I will agree that some of them are quite loud but I've never been bothered with them. I guess it's mainly because I don't use them once the film starts. I also almost never watch extras and when I rarely do, it's never during movie playback.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 12:34 PM

The sounds don't bother me. I always pause my movie before messing around in the menus anyway. It would bug me much more to have the movie playing in the background while my attention is focused on the menus. So if anything, I'd prefer that going to the menu automatically pauses the movie.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,582 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted October 16 2008 - 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHarrison
The sounds don't bother me. I always pause my movie before messing around in the menus anyway. It would bug me much more to have the movie playing in the background while my attention is focused on the menus. So if anything, I'd prefer that going to the menu automatically pauses the movie.
Another vote for this. I don't mind the noises because I pause everything as well but it would be nice if pausing was the default setting when selecting the menu.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 05:06 AM

Why not just turn off the menu sounds? Yeah? Most pop up menus have a little tab that says "menu sounds on/off". Turn that shit off. That should help out a lot. Posted Image
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow