Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dolby True HD with Batman Begins and Matrix.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 JMoore

JMoore

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 03:51 AM

I have a Denon AVR4308ci receiver paired with a Panasonic Bd30.
Every BD movie i have that has a Dolby True hd track is displayed on my receiver.
Batman begins and the Matrix movies do not, I made shure that i selected the true hd track. Comes up as Dolby digital on my receiver. Does this meen that my receiver is only outputting the Dolby digital track?

#2 of 8 Guy Martin

Guy Martin

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted October 19 2008 - 09:09 AM

Not sure about The Matrix, but Batman Begins defaults to the lossy Dolby Digital track. You have to manually switch to the TrueHD track using the pop-up menu.

- Guy

#3 of 8 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,066 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 19 2008 - 11:22 AM

For all BD-Java encoded discs you have to have the SECONDARY AUDIO option OFF in the player's firmware in order to bitstream the full TrueHD audio. If you're getting the button sound, which is secondary audio, you know your secondary audio is on.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 8 bruceport

bruceport

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 12:38 PM

I have a Onkyo TX SR-805 and I have the same problem. The second audio is turned off, and the right sound track is selected....I tested the reciever with the Godfather Blu-ray disk and the TrueHD indicator lights up, and goes away when I select a different sound track. It does not light up for the TrueHD sound track when it is selected on the new Matrix Blu-ray. The sound does seem to change, however.....any ideas out there?

#5 of 8 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2008 - 08:05 AM

I tried Batman Begins last night and ran into the same problem -- it appeared I was only getting the DD5.1 track. My setup includes a Sony BDP-S350 player and Pioneer Elite 94TXH receiver. I have secondary audio turned off, and made sure I selected the Dolby TrueHD track from the menu. I have successfully played other Dolby TrueHD discs on this setup.

I have no idea what may be wrong.

#6 of 8 Bob-ATL

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted December 01 2008 - 04:10 PM

I had the same problem with The Matrix set. Secondary audio was off and did not get TRUE HD to display when I selected it. Upgrading Panny BD30 firmware to latest version solved the problem.
"She's into malacas, Dino!" Gary-Weird Science

#7 of 8 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 01 2008 - 11:39 PM

I am running the latest firmware on my Sony BDP-S350. I'll try The Matrix to see if I experience the same issue. I didn't have the new Elite receiver when I originally watched that disc.

#8 of 8 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 02 2008 - 11:10 AM

I was mistaken in my case. I tested both The Matrix and Batman Begins again, and the display does in fact change when I switch tracks -- it's just very subtle on the Pioneer's display. For the DD5.1 track, the display shows the Dolby symbol + D + DPLIIx, while with the TrueHD track it reads Dolby symbol + HD + DPLIIx. The reason I didn't notice this was that The Nightmare Before Christmas displayed as Dolby TrueHD. That package indicates it has a 7.1 track, while the others have TrueHD 5.1 tracks, which must explain the differences on the receiver's display.

I've only had this new 94TXH receiver a week, so please forgive my error.