Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

wiring a sub

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Bry_DD

Bry_DD

Second Unit

• 345 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 03:35 AM

here is the deal, my cousin bought a new house and had the family room prewired for 5.1 speakers. so went to their new house to help things around installing fans and things like that. then look at the wiring to hook up to the reciever, opened the plate to see the wires that are not labeled and there are 6 speaker wires and 1 coax. 5 wires for the 5 for the family room and the 6th wire is for the patio. the coax is for the sub according to my cousin. i know i've been out of the loop for a while but is that what they use for a sub now a days, a coax?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 15 2008 - 03:43 AM

Coax works just fine for a sub. I'm using 55 feet of RG-6 coax to connect my receiver to my sub amp. It works great I use a wall plate with an F connector on the back but an RCA connector on the front.

-Robert

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 03:46 AM

Yup, works just fine because it's a shielded cable. He can have it terminated to a regular cable TV wall plate on both ends and use F-to RCA adapters on both ends (i.e., equipment rack and sub locations). They also make RCA plugs that will crimp straight to coax.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Bry_DD

Bry_DD

Second Unit

• 345 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J
Coax works just fine for a sub. I'm using 55 feet of RG-6 coax to connect my receiver to my sub amp. It works great I use a wall plate with an F connector on the back but an RCA connector on the front.

-Robert

thanks..