What's new

wiring a sub (1 Viewer)

Bry_DD

Second Unit
here is the deal, my cousin bought a new house and had the family room prewired for 5.1 speakers. so went to their new house to help things around installing fans and things like that. then look at the wiring to hook up to the reciever, opened the plate to see the wires that are not labeled and there are 6 speaker wires and 1 coax. 5 wires for the 5 for the family room and the 6th wire is for the patio. the coax is for the sub according to my cousin. i know i've been out of the loop for a while but is that what they use for a sub now a days, a coax?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Coax works just fine for a sub. I'm using 55 feet of RG-6 coax to connect my receiver to my sub amp. It works great I use a wall plate with an F connector on the back but an RCA connector on the front.

-Robert

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yup, works just fine because it's a shielded cable. He can have it terminated to a regular cable TV wall plate on both ends and use F-to RCA adapters on both ends (i.e., equipment rack and sub locations). They also make RCA plugs that will crimp straight to coax.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks