What's new

Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho Legacy Series Releases (1 Viewer)

adrian1

Grip
Real Name
Adrian
Does anyone know if these recent Universal releases are re-mastered compared to the older "Collector's Editions"? Also, any news on a possible Blu-ray release for these titles. I don't want to have to "triple-dip" if a Blu-ray release is in the works. Anyone?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I believe they are re-mastered. DVDBeaver.com has a look at the differences on Pyscho. In short the new transfer is brighter than the previous releases but there appears to be more detail in the image.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was kind of worried because I had already ordered Vertigo and Psycho (they arrived yesterday). I had been wanting to upgrade from the non-anamorphic versions of both (and I had already lost and replaced one copy of Vertigo when it mysteriously was wiped clean on the disc). However, i began to regret the purchase of these two films, as the price of the Collection is not that bad these days. So, I am glad to know that the two releases are remasters, and that I did not just order two films out of the collection at a high price.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

While they may have done further cleanup and telecine work, it seems like they're using the same source material from before, hence the sepia titles in Vertigo remain. Also, Vertigo does not have its original mono track (see separate thread), and that's reason enough not to purchase that disc.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Some General "Legacy" Comments........

I like the new "Legacy" packaging a great deal (very nice snap-tight book packaging for each). Although, can anyone (who has tried it) tell me if the gold "2-Disc Special Edition" sticker that adorns the front of each case is easily removable, without it leaving an ugly mark behind in its wake?

It seems very strange to me that Universal would place that sticker on the book packaging itself, vs. placing it where those kind of advertising stickers almost always are placed--on the OUTSIDE of the shrinkwrap. ~shrug~

The PQ looks very nice for the scenes I've looked at while rummaging through the discs at random. The dark scenes in "Psycho" look just fabulous. The shots of Arbogast in Norman's office are A-1. The angle of the camera, the shadows, and the perfect way Hitchcock lights both Perkins' face and Balsam's. These things are all highlighted nicely on the Legacy disc.

One quibble:

The music accompanying the menus on each of the 3 Hitchcock Legacy sets. Some kind of generic music is placed on all the menus (on a loop, which is always annoying; why they can't just let it run its course one or two times, then stop, I'll never understand), and this dramatic generic music has absolutely no connection to any of the films at all.

I wonder why the original music from each film wasn't used for the menu design? Seems odd to me.

Of course, the menu music isn't a deal-breaker (nor should it be). But the music on the menus just doesn't seem right. I don't like it....it's not "Hitchcock" enough, IMO.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
So, another person who didn't have The Masterpiece Collection and therefore cannot make a comparison. Did no one buy The Masterpiece Collection? I'm interested to know if this is the same transfer brightened.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This paragraph alone is probably going to convince me to buy the Legacy disc.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
So, another person who didn't have The Masterpiece Collection and therefore cannot make a comparison. Did no one buy The Masterpiece Collection? I'm interested to know if this is the same transfer brightened.

Billy, do you have the new versions? Are you comparing apples to ...?

I do not have the Masterpiece Collection. I already had the single releases of the movies I wanted, save Vertigo and Psycho. I now wonder whether it would have been better to pay an extra $20 for the collection just to get those two films. But I will not compare the two releases of Vertigo and Psycho as I only have the new Legacy releases and my old non-anamorphic releases. I do agree that not having the mono soundtrack sucks, whether I've seen the Collection or no.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Rear Window and Psycho - waiting for some informed opinions but no one seems to have purchased The Masterpiece Collection. I have the latter. Vertigo is an absolute no purchase because of the mono sound - I will not listen to the remix.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Billy, these new editions are definitely superior to the transfers found in the Masterpiece Collection. Again, Vertigo lacks its original mono track this time around, but all three films look better than ever. Brighter, yes. Rear Window in particular is a marked improvement.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

These stickers are easily removed without leaving residue - just be careful about getting it started with your fingernail (or other instrument), then peel away slowly. If you're patient, you will be rewarded.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Okay, folks, I am, I guess, passively annoyed right now. Based on the comments of Craig Beam and a few others I just wasted my money buying the Legacy editions of Psycho and Rear Window. A "marked" improvement for Rear Window? It's the exact same transfer a teeny bit brighter. Aside from that there is virtually no difference.

Psycho - the exact same transfer, not even a teeny bit brighter - same dirt, same scratches, same everything. Apparently, no one but me did an A/B comparison with the Masterpiece Edition, and that includes the Beaver, whoever he is.

I don't honestly understand how anyone can say these are marked improvements, in terms of the transfer - they're not - in the case of Rear Window, making it ten percent brighter is not a marked improvement. It's still too grainy and too drab looking - I understand that's because of the elements they had to work with for the restoration, but let's not act like this is suddenly a major deal. What it is is a major disappointment and a waste of both my money and time. And let me tell you, if these are what they're going to use for the Blu-Ray editions, I won't be investing in those.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In all fairness, you don't know what equipment that Craig is watching the disc on versus what equipment you are using. I haven't seen the discs so I can't comment but a difference in equipment might explain why you're seeing things differently from other people.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I don't have to know what equipment he's using - I have eyes and I can see the transfers are exactly the same - in the case of Rear Window, a teeny bit brighter, in the case of Psycho, exactly the same to my eyes. As I said, I've done an A/B side by side comparison - the equipment has nothing to do with it. I'm guessing maybe he doesn't have the Masterpiece edition or, if he does, that he hasn't done a side by side comparison.

DeeF

Screenwriter
There's a glitch on the Rear Window disk — the movie just stops, for more than a second, both picture and audio. I tried it on two different machines, with the same result (on a shot where Doyle is drinking the warmed brandy). Then it starts again and finishes the movie without incident.

It may be the layer change, but it's a bad glitch.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I'm sure that's the layer change. Everything about the transfer and the DVD is the same as the Masterpiece Collection, including the chapter stops.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>for the stickers, lift up enough of a 'tag' to pull on, then pull REALLY REALLY slowly. if a new tear starts, pull that up so it meets with the main one again, if you can. If they can re-meet, then lift each side evenly and slowly
relieving pressure on the sides helps
What I REALLY hate is that Stick'um that will not come off for the top security strips
-----------
>>Billy-just for fun, put each of a title in your PC/Mac, when it mounts, open it (the disc icon) in LIST view. Look at the VOB/TS/IFO dates. If both discs have the same file creation date, then make of it what you will.
Ive heard both sides of the debate: some say it shows a new transfer (not new pressing) some maintain that the date is meaningless. My vote is new tweaked transfer or remaster.
But who am I to say?
But there are other brains here (who are often later found to be incorrect on a subject)so take anyone but a true experts opinion with a grain of salt

I remember people here willing to get into barroom brawls over whether Stanley Kubrick wanted his films seen/projected at a certain ratio;
An article or post by a DP/CA/FP and a photo of SK sitting at a monitor with the screen taped off for 1.85 theatrical and then again for 1.33 for teevee
settled that.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I was able to peel off the stickers for the 3 films in under circa 4 minutes. There is no danger that the sticker will rip - it is fairly thick

I have also found that removing the security sticker at the top of the box starting in the middle for each side rather than using the fingernail below the sticker.

Is there not going to be a review of the other 2 films beside the Vertigo. I assume with all the "problems" with Vertigo, the reviewer hasn't had time.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I'm clueless to why Rear Window gets any flack. The MC edition looks awesome. Inherently grainy because of the early Eastmancolor stock, but it's razor sharp. While there's a layer of genuine film grain, you can see the detail is excellent (like fabric and brick textures). Check out the opening shots and look at how sharp the bricks look. In the shot of Jeffries writing the letter, you can see all the lines on his shirt in perfect clarity. The 2002 DVD filtered a lot of the grain out, but at the cost of the detail being much lower. A BluRay will be sharp, but grainy, unless you want Universal to give it a wax job using noise reduction.

The comparisons on DVD Beaver show how sharp the image looks, despite it being grainy: Rear Window James Stewart Grace Kelly

In the MC set, I thought Rope, Psycho, Rear Window, and The Birds looked nearly flawless. On Psycho, the best examples are the shots using optical work. The '98 DVD has a vertical line going down the frame in the pullback from Marion's eye. Gone on the MC edition. Rope also has a subtle improvement in sharpness (probably from omitting filtering) and is nearly spotless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks