What's new

Does anyone else dislike Universal's use of U-Control? (1 Viewer)

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
A bit of venting here but I'm beginning to get really annoyed with Universal dicing up perfectly good (in the the case of The Thing's "Terror Takes Shape" - excellent) documentaries and passing them off as a new blu-ray enhancment, U-Control.

Although U-Control (or PIP) functionality is fine in itself, Universals cheapo practice of cutting up existing documentaries for U-Control is just plain bad. They should either a) include the documentary both as U-Control and intact as an extra, b) create new U-Control material, leaving the doc intact, or C) just don't include U-Control.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't like U-Control either. Because it disables a lot of my PS3's remote buttons and features, like A/B repeat. Actually some BD-J controls do that too (the ones that when you hit pause, scan fwd or back, causes a little "control/time bar" to pop up). My PS3 has all the controls and more that I'll need. Not to mention BD-J defeats the PS3's "resume" play capability. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

No need to get fancy with the U-Control and BD-J features.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I dislike it only when they do it like The Thing, omitting bonus features and cutting up pre-existing ones so they can use U-Control to implement it. As someone elsewhere on the forum said, it's a solution in search of a problem. I'd like to think Spielberg will veto it when they get to Jaws and ET and the Jurassic Park films.

But if they cut up the Animal House and Blues Brothers documentaries, there will be hell to pay!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Perhaps someone can bring this up at the studio meet-up later this month. Are they visiting Universal?

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I don't like it for the simple reason that it slows the response time of my player. When I hit fast forward, I want it to start scanning forward. I don't like that hiccup that comes with waiting for the graphic to pop up. This may sound like a trivial complaint (and it probably is), but the response time for blu ray players is already pretty slow (and I have one of the faster ones). I don't need it delayed further.

-R

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I didn't mind it in the HD DVD days, as it seemed to be specific to watching the film - the ability to take a closer look at the background ads while watching Children of Men, for example.

I'm deeply opposed to taking existing stand-alone extras and presenting them in an awkward to access U-control track. I was planning to pick up the Halloween Starter Pack, although I owned all the films already on HD DVD. When I learned that Universal had actually taken a step back with the extras on Blu-ray, I cancelled that preorder.

Right now, Universal's policy on U-control I feel is really dragging down their releases.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I despise u-control and its ilk. I can tolerate it if all of the 'content' is also menu selectable without having to rewatch movies 18 times to see it all, but so far that is rarely the case. It is a solution in search of a problem.

Sam

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I've never been a fan of U-Control. As I have stated before, it makes me feel like a monkey in a Pavlovian experiment.

Doug

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's probably easier to ask if anyone likes U-Control.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I've said it in other threads but I wouldn't mind U-Control if they just made the content also available on a menu. That would be the best of both worlds in mind.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
On a related note, why is it on Universal titles that after you pause a movie (by the time the screensaver comes on), you cannot resume?!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I've never had that problem on a Universal title. But then so far all my Universal titles are on HD DVD.

Doug

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I've noticed that something's "different" in that regard, but forget what at the moment. One thing I do remember, the time bar that comes up looks "funny" on my TV. Compared to the Lionsgate time bar thingy, which looks and acts exactly as expected when paused...it's nice to actually see Lionsgate do something I can point to as a *good* example LOL (besides lossless as "standard").

This is minor, but I asked it a couple weeks ago and IIRC Sam Posten didn't recall it at the time: does anybody else notice lip-sync issues in the PIP U-Control window? I know it's a tiny window, but I can see those words/lips not matching! I have PS3->Denon 3808 via HDMI. There is no lip-sync issue in the main display during this. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks