Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hitchcock on Blu-ray?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
183 replies to this topic

#21 of 184 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,565 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 10 2009 - 08:41 AM

Clarity, sharpness, depth of color (or richness of grayscale for B&W films). Those four films I mentioned above certainly have those qualities.

An average older film? Well, if the film is properly mastered in high definition, yes, it should look noticeably more appealing.

I can tell you my first Blu-ray experience was THE SEARCHERS, and even the CREDITS knocked me out they were so super sharp. Often, the clarity is such that your eye is fooled that it's watching 3-D. (Of course, Vistavision is known for its uber-sharp picture.)

#22 of 184 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 12:17 PM

Another great example is CASABLANCA. It has the benefit of some serious restoration, so it's probably not typical... but my god, it's stunning to behold.

#23 of 184 OFFLINE   Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 12:34 PM

Well, I bought The Searchers based on your say so, and now it appears I have to buy Casablanca. (sshhhh....don't tell my wife...)

Thanks for this info - very helpful.

#24 of 184 OFFLINE   Gekkou

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 02:03 PM

You definitely won't regret buying The Searchers.

Sleeping Beauty is another knockout, and I'm quite impressed with the UK release of The Seventh Seal. While I'm at it I'll also put in a good word for The Sand Pebbles. There, that's three classic titles beginning with "S" that look great in HD. Posted Image

#25 of 184 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 353 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted March 11 2009 - 02:18 AM

I thought Bullit looked really good. Don't know if it's worth an upgrade though. The same can be said for Rio Bravo and The Wild Bunch. What I can truly recommend as an upgrade are the early James Bond films Dr. No & From Russia with Love. These look very good.

Back on topic, Vertigo, 39 Steps, Lady Vanishes, & Psycho top my list of Hitchcock films I'd like to see on BD.
"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#26 of 184 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted March 17 2009 - 11:59 AM

Is North By Northwest coming to blu ray in 2009? I saw that the Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind are coming from WB, however North By Northwest wasn't mentioned this time.

I will pick up North By Northwest on blu ray. I would also like to see Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, Vertigo and probably any other ones they do put out on blu ray.

#27 of 184 OFFLINE   Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks

Second Unit

• 381 posts
  • LocationLouisville, Ky

Posted April 05 2009 - 01:31 PM

Watching "To Catch A Thief" on HDNet Movies. I am certainly no expert on how films should look, but to my eyes, this looked FANTASTIC!

Can't wait for the BD.
Scott Shanks
Louisville, KY
My DVD Collection

#28 of 184 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted April 05 2009 - 03:40 PM

Any and all Hitchcock would be welcome on Blu-ray, especially the 1950s James Stewart and Cary Grant films (and The Trouble with Harry). I'd like them all on BD, but I'd be happy to start with those.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#29 of 184 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,379 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 05 2009 - 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Rosen
I do NOT want to repurchase my whole collection. I don't. Really. But I will repurchase classics that are worth the upgrade and would be very curious as to your experience in upgrading older films.

Thanks,
Stu
It's not Hitchcock, but the original Day the Earth Stood Still is worth upgrading if you already have it. It is a good example of how good black and white can be. BTW, the upcoming release on BD of the remake includes the BD disc of the original. If it exposes more people to the original, than the remake was worth it.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#30 of 184 OFFLINE   NetworkTV

NetworkTV

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina
I'm just hoping Uni does these titles justice and not release some "barely acceptable" transfer of an old master done for DVD. I'd rather wait for a product done right than have something rushed to the market for the sake of having something out.
I don't know about Universal, but if Paramount does a good job with the HD transfer of "North By Northwest" like they did with the SD version, I'll be very pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Rosen
My question is, on older films such as the Hitchcock classics, how much of a boost do they get from Blu-Ray over DVD? Is the difference really night-and-day? What other films are out there that might suggest how much of an improvement I might experience? The Searchers? Any others?
It depends on the source. A good print from a technicolor film can look spectacular in HD. In some cases, even better than the original theatrical presentation due to the more accurate registration process, a cleaner print and fewer intermediate prints. Since computers don't slip like sometimes occurred when optically combining the technicolor strips, it means sharper colors. You also see a more direct master than a theatrical release print and it will look like a day one, first show projection.

Sure, the theatrical print had more resolution, but it was also being blown up onto a bigger screen and often suffered from the issues above.

Aside from many of the Hitchcock films listed here, I'm anxious to eventually get "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" on BD. That's onather well done DVD that should end up an excellent BD.

The biggest issue with older movies is being able to pause and study the sets and special effects. You only have to take a look at "The Robe" to see how those things don't age well. Granted, Hitchcock was very good at making them convincing, but it's easy to spot the move to the sound stage on closeups verses the wider location shots.

#31 of 184 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 08:25 PM

Just one note: North By Northwest is owned by Warner Bros. and it is being restored for a release later this year.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#32 of 184 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,565 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 06 2009 - 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV
I don't know about Universal, but if Paramount does a good job with the HD transfer of "North By Northwest" like they did with the SD version, I'll be very pleased.

I'm sure you mean TO CATCH A THIEF which is the one Hitchcock Paramount still retains rights to. NORTH BY NORTHWEST is an MGM film controlled now by Warners.

#33 of 184 OFFLINE   NetworkTV

NetworkTV

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 06 2009 - 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH.
I'm sure you mean TO CATCH A THIEF which is the one Hitchcock Paramount still retains rights to. NORTH BY NORTHWEST is an MGM film controlled now by Warners.
Thanks for the correction. I'm not sure why I said Paramount. My DVD clearly has the WB logo on it.

#34 of 184 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,300 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 22 2009 - 06:49 AM

North by Northwest officially on the way in November. C'mon, Universal!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#35 of 184 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 07:10 AM

My Hitch wish list is:

Psycho
The Birds
Rear Window
Vertigo
Frenzy
Man Who Knew Too Much (James Stewart version)
and Trouble With Harry

And North by Northwest will be mine as well!
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#36 of 184 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,301 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 22 2009 - 09:07 AM

Depending on how often they were released, I might pick them all up but the definite buys for me would be:

Shadow Of A Doubt
Lifeboat
Notorious
Rope
Strangers On A Train
Dial M For Murder
Rear Window
Vertigo
North By Northwest (coming soon)
Psycho
The Birds
Marnie
Frenzy

On a semi-related note, I'm going to see an HD presentation of Vertigo tonight at a local art theater

#37 of 184 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted July 22 2009 - 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR 

Depending on how often they were released, I might pick them all up but the definite buys for me would be:

Shadow Of A Doubt
Lifeboat
Notorious
Rope
Strangers On A Train
Dial M For Murder
Rear Window
Vertigo
North By Northwest (coming soon)
Psycho
The Birds
Marnie
Frenzy

On a semi-related note, I'm going to see an HD presentation of Vertigo tonight at a local art theater
Universal could release the same Masterpiece Collection, but this time in Blu-ray and make the outer box blue instead of red. Not only because it's Blu-ray (and every cover apparently has to have something blue in it) but I think that would look classy :).

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#38 of 184 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 12:19 AM

I imagine Universal will someday in the mist shrouded future test the waters with one of the most popular titles first (probably Psycho or Vertigo).  If they sell to their expectations, we'll probably get some more trickle out.

A Masterpiece collection is years away if ever and very probably a pipe-dream.

Death before Streaming!

#39 of 184 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 01:14 AM

Well Universal are remaking The Birds (ugh!) so that may be a prime time to release some of Hitchcock's back catalogue on BD.

#40 of 184 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 23 2009 - 01:39 AM

The Birds huh?  Wasn't aware of that.

Now who said Hollywood was devoid of original ideas.

Death before Streaming!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow