• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#1 of 184 adrian1

adrian1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted October 12 2008 - 04:50 PM

Anyone know if Universal has any plans to release the latest standard-def versions of "Vertigo", "Psycho" & "Rear Window" on Blu-ray down the road? I have the older versions of these films, and would like to get the new remastered versions, but will wait if any Blu-ray plans are in the works. Has anyone heard what Universal's plans are with respect to this issue?

#2 of 184 TravisR

TravisR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 20,717 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 13 2008 - 05:26 AM

I have no inside info but I'm sure they're not that far away. And as much as I'd love to have the new versions, I've bought those movies two times already on DVD so I'm waiting for the Blu-ray.

#3 of 184 DavePattern

DavePattern

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 12:58 AM

In the UK, HMV has recently added the following titles as "pre-release" in it's Blu-ray section:

- The Birds
- Torn Curtain
- Family Plot
- Frenzy
- The Man Who Knew Too Much
- Marnie
- Mr and Mrs Smith
- Psycho
- Rear Window
- Rope
- Saboteur
- Shadow of a Doubt
- Topaz
- The Trouble With Harry
- Vertigo
- To Catch a Thief
- North by Northwest
- Strangers on a Train
- Secret Agent
- The 39 Steps

None of the titles have a release date yet.

(thanks to John Hodson for spotting this!)

#4 of 184 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 07:57 AM

North By Northwest is rumored to be restored and released on Blu and SD this year. It's the 50th anniversary, so that would make sense.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#5 of 184 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• PipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • LocationValley Glen, CA

Posted January 20 2009 - 09:10 AM

I think the best chances for BD releases are the following:

Universal:

The Birds
Psycho
Rear Window
Vertigo

These four seem to be the "tentpole" titles from the library that Universal has rights to (which totals 14 films).

Warner:

Dial M for Murder
North by Northwest
Strangers on a Train

Of the Warner owned titles (9 total), these 3 seem to be their most marketable. We already know that North by Northwest is in the pipeline.

Criterion:

The Lady Vanishes
The 39 Steps

I could see Criterion getting around to these staples from their early DVD days.

Fox:

Notorious
Rebecca
Spellbound

Seeing as how they just released these on DVD only it may be a while.

Paramount:

To Catch a Thief

As their only Hitchcock title it's not out of the realm of possibility. However, Paramount isn't exactly quick to release catalog titles on BD so far.

The titles owned by Lionsgate are too minor to see BD anytime soon.

Also, shouldn't this be on the HD board?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 184 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,101 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 20 2009 - 09:36 PM

I think this is the most appropriate area for this discussion.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 184 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Advanced Member

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 21 2009 - 01:39 AM

I read that Paramount is having another go at TO CATCH A THIEF as one of its next Centennial Collection releases (along with THE ODD COUPLE). Obviously, these have been remastered in high definition but that doesn't mean they'll see a Blu-ray release any time soon.

#8 of 184 Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted January 21 2009 - 03:31 PM

Would love to see any and all Hitchcock on Blu-ray. VERTIGO goes to the top of the list. Would love to be able to scrutinize PSYCHO in hi-def. Am eager to see Warner's NORTH BY NORTHWEST. I am also quite partial to SHADOW OF A DOUBT and the original THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, but don't think we'll be seeing those two on Blu-ray anytime soon.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#9 of 184 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted January 22 2009 - 02:29 AM

There isn't a Hitchcock film on Blu-ray Disc I wouldn't buy, so bring them on I say!

Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#10 of 184 Rob W

Rob W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted February 03 2009 - 12:44 PM

As I type this, North By Northwest is running right now on the Moviepix HD cable channel here in Canada. If this same transfer makes it's way to Blu-Ray people should be very pleased.

#11 of 184 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted March 06 2009 - 01:52 AM

I'm starting to get very impatient with lack of Hitchcock titles on Blu-ray. Since I haven't heard anything, apart from North By Northwest, I assume no news isn't good news in this particular case.

I guess if I haven't heard anything by the next DD 20% Off sale, I may have to bite the bullet on some of the new SD editions. Rest assured that as soon as I do that BDs will be announced soon after. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#12 of 184 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Advanced Member

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 06 2009 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
I'm starting to get very impatient with lack of Hitchcock titles on Blu-ray. Since I haven't heard anything, apart from North By Northwest, I assume no news isn't good news in this particular case.

I guess if I haven't heard anything by the next DD 20% Off sale, I may have to bite the bullet on some of the new SD editions. Rest assured that as soon as I do that BDs will be announced soon after. Posted Image

I thought so, too, when I sprang for the new VERTIGO, but I just had to get rid of that nonanamorphic original DVD. So far, nothing, however. I wish Universal would dip its toes in with just one of these titles.

#13 of 184 Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted March 06 2009 - 04:44 AM

Vertigo and Rear Window probably need a new restoration anyway. I think (well, hope) Universal will wait how the North By Northwest restoration will turn out.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#14 of 184 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted March 06 2009 - 05:58 AM

I'm just hoping Uni does these titles justice and not release some "barely acceptable" transfer of an old master done for DVD. I'd rather wait for a product done right than have something rushed to the market for the sake of having something out.

#15 of 184 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted March 06 2009 - 06:03 AM

I'd love to see "Dial M For Murder" on Blu-ray.... with the 3-D version included as a bonus feature. Yeah, home anaglyph viewing isn't exactly state of the art, but it would be cool to have and I'd certainly watch it.

#16 of 184 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted March 06 2009 - 06:17 AM

Not sure why Paramount isn't jumping at the chance to release To Catch a Thief since it looks like according to the DVDbeaver the new Cent. Edition is so much better looking than the two prev DVD editions...

Same for all the Cent collection sets for sure... I want to own those so bad but I don't like double dipping so I will wait until the eventual BD releases.

here is the DVD beaver review for To Catch a Theif though the dvd screen grabs for the new edition looks good.. so a BD would be great.

To Catch a Thief - Grace Kelly Cary Grant

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#17 of 184 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted March 06 2009 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, if it can be assumed the excellent DVD master originated from an excellent 1080p master (or 2K), it seems like a wasted opportunity to put out a BluRay.

#18 of 184 Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted March 09 2009 - 02:31 PM

I'm brand new to Blu-Ray discs - I have over 2,000 DVDs and my new Sony 550 Blu-Ray player, and 10 discs (!), arrive tomorrow. Next week I get my nice new 58" Panasonic Viera plasma set.

I'm not bragging (actually, the cost of this is depressing me even as I type these words). My question is, on older films such as the Hitchcock classics, how much of a boost do they get from Blu-Ray over DVD? Is the difference really night-and-day? What other films are out there that might suggest how much of an improvement I might experience? The Searchers? Any others?

I do NOT want to repurchase my whole collection. I don't. Really. But I will repurchase classics that are worth the upgrade and would be very curious as to your experience in upgrading older films.

Thanks,
Stu

#19 of 184 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Advanced Member

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 09 2009 - 03:56 PM

Mileage will vary according to which film you're looking at and which studio did the transfer.

THE SEARCHERS? Undoubtedly.

HOW THE WEST WAS WON? Without a doubt.

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD? Stupendous.

PINOCCHIO? Breathtaking.

#20 of 184 Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted March 10 2009 - 08:21 AM

That's helpful. Overall, what is the difference I'd see? Clarity, sharpness? Isn't the improvement a function in part of the source material? Other than big projects like The Searchers restoration, will an average older film be noticeably improved (that is, worth the $$$ in upgrading)?

While my goal is to avoid The Dreaded Repurchase of My Collection, I'm perfectly fine about upgrading truly classic films where it's worth the $$$.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Stu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users