Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Romancing the Stone

Blu-ray Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 04:50 AM

Blu-ray Disc Review

[/b]

The features included on the special edition DVD two years ago are included here except for the Hidden Treasure featurette, which was of Douglas remembering screenwriter Diane Thomas who died tragically in a car crash.

The eight deleted/alternate are in high definition (AVC encoded). Some scenes are clearly deleted and others feature similar conversation that already appears in the movie, just with a different setting. Most of these deleted scenes are in the first half of the film when Joan is walking through the jungle with Jack. The mood of the alternate ending is also less romantic. They slow the film down and it was wise not to include them in the film. I did enjoy viewing them as a special feature. The 2.35:1 aspect ratio is intact and the quality is good but not as polished as the final film.

Three featurettes follow and are of both recent interview clips and pieces from 1984. They are 4:3, SD, and encoded in MPEG-2.

• Rekindling The Romance: A Look Back (18:58) features Douglas, Turner, and DeVito remembering the days when the film was made.

• Douglas, Turner and DeVito: Favourite Scenes (3:56) is basically what the title implies. The three actors point out their favourite scenes with them in it.

• Michael Douglas Remembers (2:23) is another looking back featurette.

IN THE END...

This BD is a worthy upgrade for DVD owners who want the HD edition. The image and sound quality upgrades are the trumpeting upgrades while the special features stay relatively the same. No big complaints with this release.

Michael Osadciw
    October 11, 2008.

Review System

• Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
    Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
    HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#2 of 10 CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 06:09 AM

I have no idea why but I have always loved this movie. One of those I can pop in on a Saturday and have going on in the background. Thanks for the review.

#3 of 10 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,175 posts
    • LocationMichigan

Posted October 11 2008 - 07:59 AM

Another title that will have to wait for a sale due to its high purchase price of $25.95 from Amazon while the SD DVD SE with the same artwork is $7.49 which really illustrates the differences in pricepoints.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 10 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 05:07 AM

Did they fix the subtitles?
    My Blu Rays
    http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
    1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#5 of 10 Cassy_w

Cassy_w

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 05:16 AM

I am hearing NO. Posted Image Perhaps they will never be fixed.
    Death to PG-13! And now death to DVNR too!!

#6 of 10 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 05:28 AM

I just read a different review that said the featurette about the deceased screenwriter is still available on this Blu-ray, and the screenshot of the back of the case at DVDEmpire has it listed. Are you sure you didn't miss it somehow?
    Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
    --Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#7 of 10 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 07:47 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cassy_w
    I am hearing NO. Posted Image Perhaps they will never be fixed.

A buddy bought the 2 pack SE in 2006. I watched Stone and the lack of subtitles ruin 2 different scenes/jokes.

Im usually not as picky as some on HTF as far as mistakes on releases go but for me I will join the "NO SALE" bandwagon for this release. Too bad too cause this is an old fav of mine
    My Blu Rays

1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#8 of 10 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 10:05 AM

Yes! A nice surprise A/V-wise.
    Too badd, bout the special features; anyone smell a "DD"?
    Thanks for the review.
    Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
    HD should be for EVERYONE!

#9 of 10 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,812 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 10:15 AM

What exactly was the subtitle mistake? Whatever it is, is it safe to assume they knew about it for two years and still though it not worth fixing? I have never picked this movie up and thought now may be the time... finally an older film I'm not double dipping on. Now I don't know.

#10 of 10 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 11:18 AM

Ric,
    Taken from an old thread on this topic:

--------------------------------------------
    There's a glitch that's driving me crazy, and I haven't seen anybody mention it. The subtitles are missing, and it ruins one of the best jokes in the movie when Joan and Jack are about to get killed in the Colombian town and Juan saves them when he realizes that Joan is Joan Wilder, the novelist---whose books he reads to all the drugrunners every Saturday.

But the subtitles explaining the Spanish are not there. They are also not there for another joke where the bad guy (Zolo?) asks Ralph (Danny DeVito) if he's French. What just kills me is that if you watch the "Rekindling the Romance" doc, the subtitles are there in the clip. Furthermore, the subtitles were missing on the original RTS dvd, and I was really looking forward to the SE correcting this egregious oversight.
    My Blu Rays