-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

James Bond Blu ray Collection - Volumes 1 & 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
211 replies to this topic

#41 of 212 Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted October 13 2008 - 03:10 AM

The European DVDs didn't have the mono tracks either, but the DVDs in North America did. I'm hoping the North American Blu-rays do. That would be a deal breaker.

#42 of 212 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted October 13 2008 - 05:50 AM

I hope our own Robert Harris has "A Few Words About..." these releases!

#43 of 212 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted October 13 2008 - 08:07 AM

Well I just cancelled the 3-pack order for FRWL, Thunderball and FYEO and just opted for Russia and Thunderball for now.

I already pre-ordered the individual releases of Dr No and Live and Let Die. No interest in owning Die Another Day.
Death before Streaming!

#44 of 212 HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 940 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted October 13 2008 - 07:17 PM

According to a poster on blu-ray.com, the region A discs do have the mono tracks. But they are region A coded...

#45 of 212 Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 466 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 13 2008 - 10:43 PM

Quote:
all documentaries are NEWLY EDITS in 1080i, all are REDONE AND RECUT using the original ones as templates and IMPROVED ! Patrick Macnee narration is still there of course ! They reshot all inserts, reinserted all movie clips, and upscaled neatly whatever other clip was blurry last time !

That is truly FANTASTIC news! I was already looking forward to these, and now that it's obvious they've put real effort into them, I'm looking forward to them even more!

I don't see how slight gripes about the packaging can influence the decision to purchase this or not... Oh well. If it was up to me, I wouldn't have to purchase the Brosnans, but MGM/Fox have done it this way since '99, so I'm not expecting them to shift strategy now.

#46 of 212 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will*B
I don't see how slight gripes about the packaging can influence the decision to purchase this or not... Oh well. If it was up to me, I wouldn't have to purchase the Brosnans, but MGM/Fox have done it this way since '99, so I'm not expecting them to shift strategy now.

I'm not speaking for everyone, but I just wanted to have the option to rearrange the discs into chronological order on my shelf. The lousy cardboard nonsense prevents this.

I'm still going to buy these sets - I held off on the UEs specifically so I could do so. But I'm going to have to print out custom covers for these Blus so I can display them the way I want to.

Probably sounds a bit silly, I suppose, but that's who I am. Posted Image
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#47 of 212 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision
According to a poster on blu-ray.com, the region A discs do have the mono tracks. But they are region A coded...
It doesn't matter how the discs are coded, since they're worldwide releases. It does beg the question as to why Fox coded a worldwide release in the first place, though...
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#48 of 212 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,322 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 14 2008 - 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow
It doesn't matter how the discs are coded, since they're worldwide releases. It does beg the question as to why Fox coded a worldwide release in the first place, though...
Fox has always been paranoid about coding and piracy which doesn't really answer your question as it pertains to worldwide releases.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#49 of 212 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 02:41 AM

Quote:

Because its Fox and nothing else they do makes a whole lot of sense, so why should this? Posted Image

For those of you who are bummed about the packaging, but really hate paying north of $20 a disc for BDs, Circuit City has some $15 off $100 coupons floating around the 'net. I ordered five of the Bonds (holding off on Die Another Day for now), which were $21.99 each (less than Amazon) before the coupon and $18.99 shipped afterwards (which is $0.33 more per disc than Amazon six pack). I'll gladly pay $0.33 each for a proper BD case.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#50 of 212 Loregnum

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 02:24 AM

I'm down for these and couldn't care less how they are sorted/packaged.

#51 of 212 Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,380 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted October 15 2008 - 03:52 AM

I think I've spent more on James Bond movies than any other series.... Beta, VHS, laserdisc, DVD and now blu ray. I do hope that all corrections have been made for this release, even though some point in the future I'll probably buy these yet again... 1440p anyone?

#52 of 212 John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven
I think I've spent more on James Bond movies than any other series.... Beta, VHS, laserdisc, DVD and now blu ray. I do hope that all corrections have been made for this release, even though some point in the future I'll probably buy these yet again... 1440p anyone?

From what I've been reading, the errors affecting previous versions of these movies have been fixed - YAY.

The colour on Live And Let Die is fixed, the DTS cock-up during the motorboat sequence in Thunderball is fixed, and all the theatrical subtitles are in place!

I'm getting quite excited now.

Fingers tightly crossed that the mistakes on A View To A Kill (PQ), OHMSS (PQ/SQ) and Goldeneye (PQ) are fixed too! Sadly, it could be a while before we find out.

#53 of 212 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H Ross
Sadly, it could be a while before we find out.

I guess it all depends, but I would be willing to bet we see another six films released when Quantum of Solace hits home video, and another six or so next 4Q.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#54 of 212 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 04:49 AM

The more I hear about these releases the more excited I am.

The box art is a total bummer, but it's really about the quality of the disc at the end of the day.

I'm with John here ... I've got my fingers crossed that all of the mistakes that hampered the UE set will be corrected here.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#55 of 212 Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H Ross
...the DTS cock-up during the motorboat sequence in Thunderball is fixed, and all the theatrical subtitles are in place!
What was that?

#56 of 212 John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter of Mars
What was that?

As described over at Blu-ray.com:

It was the scene where Bond tries to pretend the motor on his boat is dead. In the original film mix, he starts pretending to try and start the boat, but really he's just turning the key on and off rapidly, making the motor turn over only briefly. He then makes his way to the back of the boat and unplugs the motor. After, when he tries to start it again, all he gets is a dry click from the key being turned. In the new DTS mix, the unplugged motor is still turning over.

This has now (apparently) been fixed! :-)

#57 of 212 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
I guess it all depends, but I would be willing to bet we see another six films released when Quantum of Solace hits home video, and another six or so next 4Q.

I think that's a pretty safe bet especially given the Blu-ray release for QoS.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#58 of 212 Anthony D

Anthony D

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 06:52 PM

Quote:

Does this mean that a Blu-Ray disc from Europe (if so coded) would play on a US Blu-Ray player without needing to convert to American standard (ie, PAL > NTSC)? Or do you still have to take into account the PAL>NTSC conversion?

#59 of 212 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,070 posts

Posted October 18 2008 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
Does this mean that a Blu-Ray disc from Europe (if so coded) would play on a US Blu-Ray player without needing to convert to American standard (ie, PAL > NTSC)? Or do you still have to take into account the PAL>NTSC conversion?

To my knowledge there is no more NTSC or PAL where Blu-ray is concerned. The only thing that might keep you from playing a disc is if it is region coded.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#60 of 212 Anthony D

Anthony D

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted October 20 2008 - 05:07 PM

Thanks, Dave!

Has anyone seen the TV ads for these Blu-Ray sets? They're kinda neat!

Hope they make it to YouTube.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow