-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

James Bond Blu ray Collection - Volumes 1 & 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
211 replies to this topic

#1 of 212 Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 01:25 PM

Alright,so I only managed to get Volume 2. I had to make a decision as I did not expect to see them at this point, and I only had enough cash for one. So here it is, Volume 2. I will be watching them over our Thanksgiving long weekend so I hope the picture quality is up to par. Here are a few shots. Only a little over a week to go (officially!).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first picture shows the black card board "book" that slides out of the slip cover, and the bottom photo is the clear plastic protectice sleeve - it is open at the top and bottom - a little push and shove and out comes the slip cover. Nice to know some of my money went somewhere.

#2 of 212 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 10 2008 - 02:32 PM

Why...i hate that book!
I want to be able to put my Bond movies in production order, not some arbitrary weak film with a strong film method.

But let us know how they look, if you can Brent.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics too!

#3 of 212 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 03:59 PM

I, too, dislike the case. In the case of the 007 films, I purchased the DVD box sets, but split the individual movies up and stored each one in alphabetical order along with the rest of my DVDs. I'd like to be able to do the same with Blu-ray, but this configuration makes it impossible. Posted Image

#4 of 212 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafink
I, too, dislike the case. In the case of the 007 films, I purchased the DVD box sets, but split the individual movies up and stored each one in alphabetical order along with the rest of my DVDs. I'd like to be able to do the same with Blu-ray, but this configuration makes it impossible. Posted Image

I just went to Amazon, and cancelled my order of the 2 box sets, and placed an order for the individual releases. They SEEM to be in slim Blu-ray cases. It cost a little more, but i loath cardboard pages for DVD/CD/Blu-ray releases.
I had also done the same thing with the Planet of the Apes box. Just ordered the individual discs.

#5 of 212 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 05:59 PM

I think they look pretty nice. These pics took me from a "might" to a "definate" buy. Thanks Brent.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#6 of 212 John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 03:36 AM

Wow, I don't like that box either - I'd assumed the sets would simply consist of an outer box wrapped around the regular plastic cases. I'll be picking each movie up separately.

I'm most intrigued to know if any of the COCK-UPS from the previous UEs have been fixed, but none of the more controversial titles are in this set.

#7 of 212 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 04:25 AM

I like the book design but the inability to ultimately put the films in production order is downright moronic.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#8 of 212 Joe_G

Joe_G

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
I just went to Amazon, and cancelled my order of the 2 box sets, and placed an order for the individual releases. They SEEM to be in slim Blu-ray cases. It cost a little more, but i loath cardboard pages for DVD/CD/Blu-ray releases.
I had also done the same thing with the Planet of the Apes box. Just ordered the individual discs.

Did you order them all individually or get the amazon 6-pk bundle? In case anyone doesn't know, amazon now has a 6pk bundle for these as well for $112. I had the volumes ordered, but cancelled when I heard of this bundle over at avsfoum. That, and I had a gut feeling that the box sets wouldn't have the films in individual cases.

#9 of 212 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 07:05 AM

Can someone post a link to the Amazon 6-pack bundle.

I have the two volumes on order, but I am cancelling them as well. Those sets are lousy and the inability to put them in release order is inexcusable. No way will I buy them like that.

I tried locating the bundle on Amazon but couldn't find it.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#10 of 212 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G
Did you order them all individually or get the amazon 6-pk bundle? In case anyone doesn't know, amazon now has a 6pk bundle for these as well for $112. I had the volumes ordered, but cancelled when I heard of this bundle over at avsfoum. That, and I had a gut feeling that the box sets wouldn't have the films in individual cases.

I did the individual releases. The only bundle i could find was the Vol. 1 and 2, and thats what i cancelled after i saw the cardboard books. I was hoping, like others here, that the boxes were housing individual Blu-slim cases. Glad i found out before i got them.

But yea, Joe, if you have a link to a 6 volume bundle, that isnt in a book, id be all over it.

#11 of 212 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,351 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 11 2008 - 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G
I did as well. Also, you save $31.75 buying them in the bundle versus purchasing them individually.

James Bond Blu-ray Collection Six-Pack

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#12 of 212 Joe_G

Joe_G

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 07:58 AM

Here's the link:

Amazon.com: James Bond Blu-ray Collection Six-Pack (Dr. No / Die Another Day / Live and Let Die / For Your Eyes Only / From Russia with Love / Thunderball) (Amazon.com Exclusive) [Blu-ray]: Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan: Movies & TV

The description says that this is a 6pk. I'm praying that indeed it is that, like how they did National Treasure and Kill Bill. BUT, they have the volume packaging as the artwork.: I have this on order but haven't inquired as to whether or not the films have indiviual cases and are just bundled or if the volume sets are bundled. I'm gonna chance it unless I find out they're the volumes, then I'll cancel and re-order the titles individually.

#13 of 212 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 08:23 AM

I would almost guarantee you that it will be the two volume packs and not the individual titles.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#14 of 212 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S
I would almost guarantee you that it will be the two volume packs and not the individual titles.

Yep, i feel the same. Thats what i HAD on order, but cancelled after seeing the pics in the first post.
Yea, i could print out art online and make my own chronological collection. But, by the time i bought more cases, paper, printer ink, and of course my time, id use that $30 of savings.

To me its almost, but not quite as bad as putting Godfather II in a set before I or III, or Star Wars 4,5, and 1 in a set, and 2,3 and 6 in another.
Some of these movies do build on one another, not quite the same as Godfather or Star Wars. I just want to be able to put them in an order i see fit for a movie series. And that would be production order.

Besides, to me its cheap cardboard, that wont last 5 or 10 years without splitting at the bend.

#15 of 212 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,079 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 10:24 AM

Nice pictures Brent, but I think I will stick with the seperate releases so I can organize them in order of release date under James Bond in my HD library.

Hey Brent,

Have you had the chance to watch any of the movies yet?

If so what is your impression so far?
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#16 of 212 Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 11:04 AM

Are the mono tracks included on From Russia with Love and Thunderball?

#17 of 212 John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 11:43 AM

Doesn't ANYBODY know yet if Lowry has made any corrections to the problematic UE masters of Goldeneye, OHMSS, Live And Let Die (which is in this first batch!) and A View To A Kill in advance of their BD releases?

Re: This set - have the colour changes made to the opening titles sequence on Live And Let Die now been corrected?

EDIT:

Oh, according to this review (and comments) http://whathifi.com/....with-love.aspx Lowry have gone back to the original camera negatives and restored these movies from scratch - again! So assuming they haven't made a whole NEW set of errors some of the original problems should be fixed. This does open a new can of worms however, and that is the age-old issue of subtitles.

Going back to Live And Let Die... has the opening subtitle leading into the United Nations building been changed at all, or is it exactly how it was in the theatrical version and all subsequent DVD releases?

#18 of 212 Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 01:14 PM

If any of you have any suggestions about what to perhaps look for with these BD transfers please let me know and I will try and look for them. I watched From Russia With Love last night on a 42" LCD 1080 set ( Toshiba ) and since I am not very familiar with any of these films on a technical level I did notice it was framed at 1:66. I assume this is the correct OAR. As for the picture itself - I thought it looked quite good. Excellent detail and colors - It was like watching a new film for the first time since I was constantly amazed at what the new 1080 transfer was revealing in the background! There did not seem to be any evidence of film grain yet it looked very natural. I have yet to see how many of the Special Features are in HD - the back of the cover implies they are.

The sound track was quite decent as well, clear and fairly dynamic. I mean, when you consider it's age I think it turned out well. Surrounds were not used very much from what I could hear but the presentation from the front was excellent with the sub giving a bit of depth - nothing outstanding, understandably. I can't see myself ever watching Bond in SD again. As the BD versions are released I will give the SDs to a friend. Still, until I see it on the larger screen along with Thunderball and For Your eyes Only I cannot really judge their overall quality, everything is much sharper on a smaller set so hopefully this will still be the case at 128". Am I asking too much?

#19 of 212 Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 03:48 PM

Thunderball was the first Bond picture to be shot in Panavision. Are you sure it was really 1.66:1? That would be the ratio for From Russia With Love. Thunderball should be 2.35:1.

#20 of 212 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H Ross

So assuming they haven't made a whole NEW set of errors some of the original problems should be fixed. This does open a new can of worms however, and that is the age-old issue of subtitles.

Blu-ray has the ability to have player generated subtitles that exactly match the look of the original burned in titles. The Godfather is a good example of what is possible. I didn't even know they were player generated until I accidentally turned them off.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow