Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How much of the extra content on a disk do you watch?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Cowbell

Cowbell

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 08:49 AM

I make an effort to watch, deleted scenes and the making of documentary’s
I’ve never watched a movie with the commentary turned on.
Screen tests, Trailers, galleries, story boards, cast Bio’s, rarely
More cowbell!

Steve L.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted October 10 2008 - 09:24 AM

Depends entirely on the film--if the film is interesting to me in some way beyond just the story portrayed by the film itself, I'll watch most, if not all, the extras. For some specific films that are relevant to my work and research, I will taken in all the extras, even if the film itself is not fully engaging as a film. If it's a rental that is entertaining, but does not intrigue me with regards to how it was made, then I'll skip them. The ones I watch the most (as they are the most frequent) are the deleted scenes.

I'd probably watch a lot more of the extras if I didn't have such a busy schedule (not that I'm busier than the average person, but if I'd had such a collection of films with all these extras back when I was single, I'd have taken in a lot more of the extras than I have).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,345 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 10 2008 - 09:33 AM

Overall, it depends for me too. On some DVDs, I'll watch the movie and that will be it but if I really enjoy the movie, I usually check out all the special features too. So far on Blu-ray, I've watched everything on all the discs that I own but I'm sure that I'll eventually get to the point where I get too many discs to worry about watching another featurette on visual effects. That being said, I'm also sure that there will always be movies where I want to see everything about it.

#4 of 18 ONLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,644 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 10 2008 - 09:55 AM

Usually, everything, at a minimum the commentary, which is my favorite extra.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 01:52 PM

None at all.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 03:53 PM

I watch most of them but I hardly listen to the commentaries unless they are truly interesting and/or funny. For instance, I'll gladly listen to a Kevin Smith commentary......an average producer, editor or composer etc commentary or anything that gets too dry or technical.....eh, not so much.

I also have no use for the still galleries or DVD-Rom extras.
Recently watched- Robocop(2014), Lethal Weapon 4, Lethal Weapon 3, Lethal Weapon 2, Lethal Weapon, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 06:59 PM

I'll watch the movie itself and maybe deleted scenes or alternate endings.

Then a month later I'll usually watch the commentary track -- best for when too tired to keep eyes open and just want to listen in and occasionally look.

Extensive documentaries are also best after a month. I can't watch them the first day or else they can ruin the experience of the fiction.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 10:11 PM

I generally watch everything. Sometimes if it is a film I've already seen, I'll watch all of the extras first.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 04:01 AM

With movies based in some form of history, such as Kingdom of Heaven, I will watch extras that conribute to my understanding of the film and the period. In that vein, Kingdom of heaven has a great extra that illuminates the film's historical setting as it plays.

Other films, such as Dark City, which is one of my favorite movies and one of the best sci fi movies ever made, I will watch commentaries.

Some films are just impactful in their own right, such as Children of Men, and at least one of the extras on there (a commentary) is astonnishing.
Peter

My Collection

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted October 11 2008 - 09:14 AM

If the movie was actually interestng (to me the viewer, not the movie makers...), and not just entertaining, then I *will* go through all the extras. I have noticed that people who make interesting movies also have interesting things to show and say...no big surprise. Those who don't (i.e. those who are highly paid to say others' words) mostly just compliment each other in all the space-filling extras. I'd prefer not to pay for that, never mind watch it.

Somebody mentioned Kevin Smith. I watch or listen to every single item on his discs. Pretty funny, often better than the movies even, well worth it. And somebody mentioned Kingdom of Heaven. That's a good example: anything with an historical context I watch the "documentary" extras. I'll throw in Robert Rodriguez; he explains the processes of what he does (which is pretty much some of everything) well for the layman. I like listening to Martin Scorsese talk about films. So, for me it depends who's talking sometimes. Generally anything with an historical context or technical details of the sets/production I like. I couldn't care less about CGI details and storyboards etc., a little too dry for me, though I do find the Pixar stuff like that kinda interesting (again, could be the specific people talking).

Edit: oops, got off track. I almost always watch the deleted scenes and gag reals, even for not that great films. I don't watch trailers if I have the choice, except the ones for BDs I might want to buy. I kinda forgot this is the BD section...much of the extra stuff I mentioned doesn't even exist on BD yet...

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 09:18 AM

I am not really interested in any of it. Just the bloopers now and again or if it is based on a real story I might look into it.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,786 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 11 2008 - 09:27 AM

Only the movie, no extras.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 10:07 AM

I try to watch every extra on any disc I buy. I do not include the commentary tracks in that grouping. The only time I've listened to the commentaries is when I'm on a long drive. I play the movie through my car radio and give it a good listen. My favorites are the movie trailers and documentaries that follow the crew on the set.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted October 13 2008 - 01:48 AM

All extras for me. Love them. Except for original trailers. Don't really care about them.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian Sheffield

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted October 13 2008 - 02:19 AM

I watch the movie, and occasionally deleted scenes.

Personally, I don't care at all about how the film was made or if the people involved liked each other.

However, I do like extras that detail parts of the fictional world not delved into in the film itself. (the BD live Popup track on Transformers for example)

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted October 13 2008 - 02:35 AM

Well some movies I never even quite finish the movie so I certainly don't see any of the extras (Oceans Twelve anyone?) but generally if I thought the director or writer made a really interesting or unique contribution to the movie I love hearing a commentary by that person or persons. And if it's a movie we enjoyed we almost always watch the deleted scenes. But very few movies are good enough for us to have any interest in the "making of" and other EPK type content.

Don't forget the Pixar movies where there's usually an animated short included. Those are great! Can't wait for the "Wall-E" Blu-Ray in five weeks.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted October 13 2008 - 05:45 AM

90% of the time I watch none of the extras. If it's one of my favorites, includes atypical extras like bonus shorts, or provides historical background on the subject I'll give them a look but that's about it.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted October 13 2008 - 07:13 AM

It's interesting that this question keeps getting asked every few months around here. Must be another 100 threads w/ variation of the question.

I like commentaries on sitcoms. The participants are funny, and the program is short enough that I can enjoy it.

As far as extras, it depends. For classics & my favorite films, then extras are great. I always check them out. Especially when there is enough time (years) between the film getting made and the extras getting made.

Objectivity (time & 3rd parties) make for interesting extras. Directors making their own extras, rarely make for anything but pats on their back.