-

Photo

AFI TRIBUTES

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted October 09 2008 - 02:36 AM

On the new NOTORIOUS dvd, there is a poignant, tantalizing--but all-too-brief clip from the AFI Tribute to Alfred Hitchcock. I seem to recall that Hitchcock in the year before his death did not recognize Sean Connery (MARNIE). On the MISTER ROBERTS, there is a clip from the Cagney AFI tribute. The AFI released many of these (Gene Kelly, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Billy Wilder, Bette Davis, etc.) on VHS. I wonder if AFI has ever entertained the idea of releasing these on dvd. There might be some clearance issues, but it would be a great source of revenue for the AFI.
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 750 posts

Posted October 09 2008 - 04:42 AM

Around 10-15 of the tributes were released on laserdisc, so there is a post-VHS precedent for releasing the tributes as stand-alone packages.

Among the tributes released on laserdisc were:

John Ford
Billy Wilder
John Huston
Alfred Hitchcock
Orson Welles
Gene Kelly
Fred Astaire
Lillian Gish

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted October 09 2008 - 05:03 AM

Yes, many of these were on VHS as well. They were released by I think it was Aaron Spelling's video company, which might mean they are at Paramount.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted October 09 2008 - 08:26 AM

It would be grand if they released them. Also complete Oscar telecasts. Maybe the audience for these would be specialized. But I know I would sure appreciate it.
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...