Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Digital Audio Out On TV & Converting to Analog For Input To Cheap Stereo Amp

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 01:24 PM

I'm not sure where exactly to post this question, but this seemed as good a place as any.

My Dad recently got a Sharp LCD HD TV (something in the neighborhood of 30 inches).

He would like to add a couple of small stereo speakers that he already had around the house because the in TV speakers are so quiet. The problem is that the TV only includes a coaxial digital audio out, no analog L/R audio outs, and the little stereo amp only has analog L/R audio inputs.

I can buy a digital to analog converter like this:

GEFEN DIGITAL TO ANALOG AUDIO CONVERTER DIGAUD-2-AAUD - eBay (item 330275766706 end time Oct-07-08 15:29:18 PDT)

for about $70, but I then I realized there is another issue.

All he ever does with it is either watch TV, or use the DVD player. The DVD player is plugged into the TV's inputs (audio and video) The old stereo amp only has one auxilliary input; it has no switching capability. I wondered if the TV would actually take the DVD player analog audio inputs and actually digitize them and then reroute it out the coaxial digital audio out. I kind of doubt it. Does anyone know?

So is there a simple way to make this work? Is there an inexpensive (i.e., less than about $30) automatic switcher that I could plug both the analog audio L/R signal from out of the D/A converter as well as the analog audio L/R signal from the DVD player into so that I can run a single L/R RCA audio cable into the cheap stereo amp?

Is there even such a thing as a reverse splitter cable? Would that even work?

I'd rather not have to get a receiver because he won't want to have to switch sources by pressing a button. I need this SUPER SIMPLE.
"Do not use to unclog a disposal drain." - On a box of Dynamite (from Joseph Howard)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users