Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MGM Press Release: This Is Spinal Tap (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 09:57 AM

THE HIGH-DEF EQUIVALENT OF ELEVEN
ROCKS OUT WITH THE BLU-RAY DEBUT OF

THIS IS SPINAL TAP

MGM Home Entertainment Releases Rob Reiner’s Hilarious Rockumentary Starring Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer Debuts on Blu-ray Disc January 20th

Brand New BD Exclusive Game, “Create Your Own Band” Sends Those Other Rock Games Back To The High School Auditorium

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – Ring in the New Year with the revolutionary UK rock band as This is Spinal Tap screams its way to Blu-ray Disc January 20th from MGM Home Entertainment. Directed by Academy AwardÒ nominee* Rob Reiner (A Few Good Men), This is Spinal Tap is Reiner’s directorial debut and is the “…absolutely inspired film” (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times) responsible for introducing mock documentaries to mainstream American audiences. Renowned comedy director Christopher Guest (Best in Show), Academy AwardÒ nominee** Michael McKean (A Mighty Wind) and Emmy AwardÒ nominee *** Harry Shearer (“Saturday Night Live”) star as the three members of the fictional heavy-metal/hard rock band Spinal Tap. Satirizing the wild personal behavior and musical pretensions of hard-rock and heavy-metal bands, This is Spinal Tap presents a second-rate band made up of aging band members who are desperately trying to cling onto what little fame they used to have. This is Spinal Tap also includes cameo appearances by renowned actors such as Billy Crystal (When Harry Met Sally), Anjelica Houston (The Addams Family) and Ed Begley, Jr. (Pineapple Express). Inducted into the National Film Registry in 2002, This is Spinal Tap has left an indelible mark on pop culture as evidenced by its numerous imitators and its esteemed spot at number one atop Entertainment Weekly’s “Top 50 Cult Movies of All Time.”

For the first time fans can own all of the special features included on the previous standard-def as well as Laserdisc versions with a brand new BD-exclusive game, “Create Your Own Band.”

This is Spinal Tap Blu-ray Disc will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada.

* 1993: Best Picture (A Few Good Men)
** 2004: Best Music, Original Score (A Mighty Wind)
***1980: Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program (“Saturday Night Live”)

Synopsis:
In 1982 legendary British heavy metal band Spinal Tap attempt an American comeback tour accompanied by a fan who is also a film-maker. The resulting documentary, combined with powerful performances of Spinal Tap's pivotal music and profound lyrics, candidly follows a rock group heading towards crisis, culminating in the infamous affair of the eighteen-inch-high Stonehenge stage prop surrounded by dancing midgets.

Special Features:
The This is Spinal Tap BD release will be authored in BD-Java presented in widescreen format (1.78:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 DTS HD Lossless Audio.

Bonus features include:
· NEW Create Your Own Band Game – Create and customize your very own rock star avatars
· Commentary by Spinal Tap
· Commentary by Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer
· Commentary by Director Rob Reiner, Producer Karen Murphy and Editors Robert Leighton
and Kent Beyda
· Deleted Scenes
· Flower People Press Conference
· Spinal Tap appearance on “The Joe Franklin Show”
· Music Videos
o Gimme Some Money
o (Listed to the) Flower People
o Hell Hole
o Big Bottom
· Theatrical Trailer
· Cheese Rolling Trailer
· Rock and Rolls Commercials

This is Spinal Tap Blu-ray Disc
Street Date: January 20, 2009
Pre-book Date: December 10, 2008
BD Price: $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada
Catalog #: M113258
Total Running Time: 83 minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 11:51 AM

Wow, we're actually getting the Criterion commentaries?! I mentioned it in another thread as a wish; I didn't think it would actually happen. Since the studio is obviously putting some effort into this release, maybe there's a chance we'll get the original burned-in subtitles.

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 02:43 PM

Quote:
with English 5.1 DTS HD Lossless Audio

Where's the Dobly soundtrack? Posted Image
I don't like SPAM!

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 06 2008 - 02:56 PM

Don't you mean Doubly? Posted Image
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 03:21 PM

That's a poorly written subtitle track, my friend...('Dobly' is Janine's misinformed pronunciation in the thick Brit accent...Gawd, I hate explaining jokes...)

Still no sales pitch reel, sadly.

I will buy it and keep it sealed, for this blu-ray cannot be played...

(and the quotes just keep rolling in...)
I don't like SPAM!

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted October 06 2008 - 03:36 PM

Ahh, extras.

Now that's not so hard, is it, MGM?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,752 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 05:16 PM

Dear MGM:

Please either:
a) keep the original burned in subtitles (preferred), or
b) improve the look/font/anti-aliasing of the player generated subtitles on the Blu-Ray

Criterion's DVD had the original subs (IIRC) and the difference between that and the "Atari 2600 font style" of the player generated subs of the MGM SE DVD of Spinal Tap was striking--in favor of Criterion and the original burned-in subs.

The subs play such a key part of the movie and is part of the overall joke, so please do option a) if possible.

Thanks!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 05:55 PM

Of course I am excited about this release as is everyone else. The only thing I have to say about it is that I, too, would really, really like to see the original, burned-in subtitles. Pretty, pretty please?

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina
Dear MGM:

Please either:
a) keep the original burned in subtitles (preferred), or
b) improve the look/font/anti-aliasing of the player generated subtitles on the Blu-Ray

Criterion's DVD had the original subs (IIRC) and the difference between that and the "Atari 2600 font style" of the player generated subs of the MGM SE DVD of Spinal Tap was striking--in favor of Criterion and the original burned-in subs.

Agreed. Like The Godfather. Very nicely done player generated subs.

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,279 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted October 09 2008 - 06:06 AM

An MGM catalog BD release with Special Features???

The world must be coming to an end...... Posted Image

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 07:47 AM

I heard a rumor that Spinal Tap may even do a 25th reunion tour next year.

Seems I remember a DVD commentary by the band stating that Spinal Tap has to regroup, preform and show that they are still a business entity every "x" number of years, in order to maintain home video rights / royalties.

When the movie first came out, people didn't buy movies. So as long as Tap is putting out new configurations of this DVD every so many years (with new features, etc.), they can claim ownership. If they go longer than the period of time, some other party gets the distribution rights.

Anyone else remember this or have better details?

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted October 10 2008 - 08:16 AM

If people ask me my favorite film, I usually mention "Casablanca", but I have to admit that I have watched "This is Spinal Tap" more times from beginning to end than any other movie. I stood pat with my Criterion DVD, so this is a no-brainer purchase for me.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,752 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 04:04 PM

Casablanca vs. This Is Spinal Tap?

Pshaw! Only one of those films goes to 11!

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 08:11 PM

MGM Home Entertainment is postponing the Blu-ray release of THIS IS SPINAL TAP. A press release announcing a new date is forthcoming.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,752 posts

Posted November 08 2008 - 04:13 AM

At first this is disappointing news, but I'm hopeful that perhaps this was one of those "in the pipeline" transfers that perhaps they are going back and re-doing to improve PQ and AQ.

And, of course, to properly recreate the burned-in subtitles. Posted Image

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted November 08 2008 - 05:01 AM

Harry Shearer talks of a possible reunion next year to coincide w/ the 25th anniversary of the movie....

So perhaps they are juggling the BD release date to coincide with a possible reunion / tour / media blitz ?? Posted Image

Harry Shearer interview w/ Kurt Loder:

My Damn Channel - Lapdance with Kurt Loder: Harry Shearer on Spinal Tap

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,303 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 08 2008 - 05:40 AM

Someone uploaded a new date of 3/17/09 to the dvdaf.com listing of it. No idea if that's correct.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 04:11 AM

Amazon is showing a July 14th release date. Hopefully, this is back on track for good.

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 06:43 AM

With Blu-Ray, there's no reason for burned-in subs. They could use an identical font used in the original film and you'd never know the difference. Plus, you stay one generation closer to the original negative.

Just re-create the subs in the correct font and I'll be happy.

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted May 04 2009 - 08:57 AM

Using the correct font is also possible when authoring DVDs, it's just that few producers go to the trouble.

It will be interesting when the PQ reactions come in regarding this film, shot inexpensively on grainy 16mm.
-Jay

Forum Nav Content I Follow