Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Timeless Classics & Modern Film Favorites

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,572 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 02:58 AM

Timeless Classic and Modern Film Favorites
Just in Time for Valentines Day!

Goodbye Mr. Chips (1969) ~
Far From the Madding Crowd ~
The Yellow Rolls Royce ~
Waterloo Bridge(1940) ~ Cannery Row ~ Palm Springs Weekend ~ Parrish ~ Rome Adventure ~ Susan Slade

Digitally Remastered Romances All New To DVD
January 27 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif. October 6, 2008 – On January 27, 2009 Warner Home Video will make sure Cupids everywhere have their choice of inspiration with the introduction of two different groups of highly demanded, all new-to-DVD romantic film favorites. The All-Star Romance group of titles features Goodbye Mr. Chips (1969), Far From the Madding Crowd, The Yellow Rolls Royce, Waterloo Bridge (1940) and Cannery Row, available as single titles and each selling for $19.97 SRP.
The Warner Bros. Romance Classics Collection features a quartet of ‘60s screen hits, featuring that decade’s teen heartthrob Troy Donahue, and his famous leading ladies including Connie Stevens and Suzanne Pleshette. The collection includes Palm Springs Weekend, Parrish, Rome Adventure and Susan Slade. These titles will be sold as a Collection only for $39.92 SRP.

About the Films

Goodbye Mr. Chips (1969)
The magnificent Peter O’Toole earned a Best Actor Oscar® nomination, and won a Golden Globe® Best Actor award for his portrayal of the title role in this 1969 musical adaptation of the famed James Hilton novel. O’Toole and his leading lady Petula Clark are a beguiling romantic duo taking on the roles first established on the screen by Robert Donat and Greer Garson in 1939 original. Herbert Ross (The Turning Point, The Goodbye Girl) directed the Terrence Rattigan screenplay which is embellished by the memorable music and lyrics of Leslie Bricusse (Stop the World, I Want to Get Off). This release presents the film in its original full-length roadshow version.

Far From the Madding Crowd (1967)
A highly acclaimed, and lavish screen adaptation of Thomas Hardy’s 19th century novel, Far From the Madding Crowd is a masterful achievement from Oscar winning director, John Schlesinger (Midnight Cowboy). The film reunited Schlesinger with the magnificent Julie Christie (Dr. Zhivago), who won a Best Actress Oscar for her performance in his 1965 film Darling. In this epic love story, Christie shares the screen with a cast of equally acclaimed actors, as she portrays Bathsheba, a wild passionate girl who captures the hearts of three very different men: a sheep farmer (Alan Bates), a prosperous confirmed bachelor (Peter Finch) and a handsome yet reckless swordsman (Terence Stamp). This release presents the film in its original uncut form, as seen in its international release.

The Yellow Rolls Royce (1965)

At last! One of the most popular all-star ‘event’ films of the 1960s arrives for the first-time on DVD. Terrence Rattigan wrote the screenplay for this ‘anthology’ of three stories of life and love connected only by the ownership of a car….a very special yellow Rolls Royce. The film’s outstanding cast includes Oscar-winners Ingrid Bergman, Shirley MacLaine, Rex Harrison, George C. Scott, and Art Carney, as well as International favorites including Omar Sharif, Jeanne Moreau and Alain Delon. The film’s memorable musical score by Riz Ortolani also spawned a hit song “Forget Domani.”

Waterloo Bridge (1940)
The second film version of Robert Sherwood’s play (the first was Universal’s 1931 release featured in WHV’s first Forbidden Hollywood Collection), this classic wartime love story was given the deluxe M-G-M treatment as a vehicle for its popular leading man and leading lady. Directed by Mervyn LeRoy, this box-office smash stars two-time Academy Award® winner Vivien Leigh (Gone With the Wind, A Streetcar Named Desire) and Golden Globe Award winner Robert Taylor as star-crossed lovers who meet at the beginning of World War I.

Cannery Row (1982)
Oscar-winning screenwriter David S. Ward (The Sting) made his directorial debut and penned the screenplay which brought the colorful characters of John Steinbeck’s 1945 novel to the big screen. Oscar-nominees Nick Nolte and Debra Winger head an impressive ensemble cast in this unlikely romance set in the depressed waterfront area of Monterey California known as Cannery Row. Nolte gives a remarkable performance as “Doc” the bookish marine biologist who falls for Suzy (Winger), a lovable floozy who turns his world upside down. Steinbeck’s vision is beautifully translated into cinematic imagery by the acclaimed cinematographer Sven Nykvist.

THE WARNER BROS. ROMANCE CLASSICS COLLECTION

Parrish (1961)
Delmer Daves directs the screenplay based on a novel by Mildred Savage. Troy Donahue plays the title role as a teen growing up in the Connecticut tobacco fields, and becoming a man after love affairs with three women and a fight against his evil step-family. A guilty pleasure, Parrish also stars Claudette Colbert, Karl Malden and Dean Jagger. Adding to the atmosphere is a score by Max Steiner.

Susan Slade (1961)
Based on the best-selling novel “The Sin of Susan Slade,” Connie Stevens gives a remarkable performance in the tragic title role. Delmer Daves again takes the directorial helm as Stevens rides an emotional rollercoaster as an inexperienced 17-year-old who finds herself pregnant after an affair with a married man. Will dashing and loyal Troy Donahue come to her rescue and forgive her “sin”? This memorable melodrama also co-stars Dorothy McGuire, Lloyd Nolan and Bert Convy.

Rome Adventure (1962)
A romantic travel fantasy, Rome Adventure stars Suzanne Pleshette in her first starring role as a librarian who after leaving for Italy, finds romance and adventure among the scenic ruins with handsome Troy Donahue. Angie Dickinson and Rossano Brazzi round out the cast, all underscored by the masterful music composed by Max Steiner.

Palm Springs Weekend (1964)
The accent is on fun in the sun and moonlight romance, as Troy Donahue and Connie Stevens star as college students on a weekend spree in the famous California desert resort town. Stefanie Powers, Ty Hardin and Robert Conrad co-star, with comic support from Jack Weston and Carole Cook.

Valentine’s Day All-Star Romance Classics
Street Date: January 27, 2009
Each title $19.97 SRP
All Films Are Not Rated

Goodbye Mr. Chips
Color
16x9 2.35 Letterbox 5.1 Dolby Surround Audio
Run Time: 156 minutes
RATED G
Far From the Madding Crowd
Color
Run Time: 175 minutes
16x9 2.35 Letterbox 5.1 Dolby Surround Audio

The Yellow Rolls Royce
Color
Run Time: 122 minutes
16x9 Letterbox 2.35
Waterloo Bridge
B&W
Run Time: 108 minutes
NOT RATED
Cannery Row
Color
Run Time: 120 minutes 16x9 1.85
RATED PG

Warner Bros. Romance Classics Collections
Street Date: January 27, 2009
Order Due Date: December 23, 2008
Catalog #: 1000042987
$39.92 SRP
Available as a Collection Only

Palm Springs Weekend
Color
Run Time: 85 minutes
16x9 1.77
Parrish
Color
Run Time: 138 minutes
16x9 1.77
Rome Adventure
Color
Run Time: 119 minutes
16x9 1.77
Susan Slade
Color
Run Time: 116 minutes
16x9 1.77

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 40 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,189 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 06 2008 - 09:25 AM

Wow. The 1969 Goodbye Mr. Chips. And, the roadshow version to boot! Posted Image

All of the other classics sound like must-sees, too.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 09:38 AM

Great news! thought WB gave up on these titles.

Now only two hold outs on my WB list:

Ken Russell's "The Devils" and "The Boy Friend"

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 09:46 AM

I vaguely seem to recall that there was a Japanese laserdisc of WATERLOO BRIDGE that had a longer running time. Maltin lists 103 minutes so this must be the extended version. Maybe that is why it took so long to come out. Anyoune know what is contained in the new 5 minutes.
Charles Hoyt

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   PattyFraser

PattyFraser

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 10:35 AM

Hurray, hurray! I said all along that Far From the Madding Crowd would make an excellent Valentine's day release (although I'd hoped for it last year!). I will be first in line for this long awaited release!

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 10:59 AM

I'll get the Romance Collection.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 11:17 AM

Wow!!! The Delmer Daves classics are all coming out on DVD! That leaves only Youngblood Hawke to be released. Speaking of Warner romances, what about the original Sweet November with Sandy Dennis and Anthony Newley? Much better than the remake! Put it out on DVD now!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 02:40 PM

So the Troy Donahue Signature Collection is being released. Odd that Warners thinks enough of him to put out a box set of his movies but not enough of him to put his name as the title of the set. It would be nice if each film came with an episode of Surfside 6 his 1960's TV Show. Or Hawaiian Eye or Bronco since Connie Stevens, Robert Conrad, and Ty Hardin are each in one of the films.

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 12:53 AM

The artwork is here and here Classicflix.com : - Articles - - Warner Bros. Romance Classics Collection (Parrish / Susan Slade / Rome Adventure Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 02:20 AM

Is CANNERY ROW still a "go?"
Charles Hoyt

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,851 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 07 2008 - 06:26 AM

Cannery Row is still there and in the Timeless Classic and Modern Film Favorites collection and will be offered individually as with the other titles, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Far From The Madding Crowd, The Yellow Rolls Royce, and Waterloo Bridge. The artwork is for the Warner Bros. Romance Classics Collections, which really should be called the Troy Donahue Collection.

Edit-Sorry I did not see the Timeless Classic link and it does not show Cannery Row. Your question is valid.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 08:17 AM

Re: Cannery Row - Just a thought, but could it be that ClassicFlix usually does not list movies from the 80s?

From their website:
"We carry TV shows that began in 1969 and before & theatrical releases that were released prior to 1960. We do carry hundreds of movies from the 1960’s, but our inventory for those years is not exhaustive. "

EDIT: Maybe this was the explanation after all. DVDTimes has the artwork for all, including Cannery Row here
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted October 09 2008 - 06:09 AM

I am thrilled that Warner still cares about older films.
Can't wait!

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   haroldS

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 07:22 AM

Will the titles in the "Timeless Classics" be available in a box set?

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,905 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson
I am thrilled that Warner still cares about older films.
Can't wait!
If Warners can put out a Troy Donahue box-set, how about an Angie Dickinson package with The Sins of Rachel Cade, A Fever In The Blood and The Bramble Bush? Warners have already given us Rio Bravo - of course! - and now Rome Adventure. Why not all Angie Dickinson's movies during her time at Warners?

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted October 23 2008 - 01:06 AM

Any word on extras yet?
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Art_AD

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 04:09 AM

Any news on extras for these (or reviews). I read a fluff review from Video Business on "The Yellow Rolls Royce ", which incorrectly stated this was the first home video release of this title (it was released on laserdisc) but really no info on extras or image quality.

I hoping for many extras on Mr. Chips at least. I will buys most of these titles nonetheless but am hoping!

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 14 2009 - 07:03 AM

My review copies of all of these titles arrived yesterday. Due to sheer volume, and two new release titles coming on the same day, I may not get all of them reviewed by street date. Any preferences as to what you, the forum public I serve, would like me to watch/write-up first? I am also willing to answer any questions you may have about these titles that can be spot checked.

I am inclined to start with "Waterloo Bridge", but anything goes after that.

Quote:
Any word on extras yet?
Not many substantial extras beyond the occasional trailer. I'll post specifics later this evening.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted January 14 2009 - 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden
I am inclined to start with "Waterloo Bridge", but anything goes after that.

You could not have picked a better first choice! Posted Image Really looking forward to hear about the picture quality.

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted January 14 2009 - 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine
You could not have picked a better first choice! Posted Image Really looking forward to hear about the picture quality.
As a bit of personal trivia, the 1931 James Whale "Waterloo Bridge" was the first title I watched as a reviewer for HTF when I reviewed Forbidden Hollywood Vol. 1. I am partial to that version, but like them both and have not seen the 1940 version in ages, so I am looking forward to it.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow