What's new

Questions regarding "1492" and "Revenge" (1 Viewer)

Jesper Hall

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesper Hall
Hi Charles.

Let me start by saying thank you for some of my favorite movie-docs of all time. The Alien and Blade Runner material was priceless for fans
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I have two questions for you:
1. I am a big fan of Ridley Scotts "1492: Conquest of Paradise". I read an interview a while back with Ridley where he talked about the possibility of a director's cut version (3hrs+) of the movie. Is there a possibility of this coming out, and are you involved in it?
I loved Paramounts release of Black Rain on Bluray, so my hopes are that 1492 (which I believe Paramount has distribution right for in the US) is close behind.

2. My second question is about Tony Scotts "Revenge".
I loved seeing Tonys new cut on Bluray disc (though I would have loved the original longer cut as well). The movie has been a favorite of mine for a long time, so I enjoyed your documentary "Obsession: The Sex and Violence of Revenge". The documentary is kind of short though (15 minutes). I was just getting in to it, and I would love to hear more about the film. The runningtime and the way it is titled makes me wonder if it is not part of a larger documentary on the film, that wasn't released on the disc?

Thanks again.

Jesper

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Jesper:

1. Yes, according to Ridley, there is a longer cut of 1492 out there somewhere, but beyond that, I haven't heard a thing.

2. I would have loved to have done a longer piece on Revenge, but schedule, budget and disc space all played a part in the current (short) running time. There also wasn't much behind-the-scenes support material available, so to do a feature-length doc would have required us to spread our resources pretty thin. (I ran into the exact same challenges with my featurette on the upcoming Capricorn One special edition.) Hopefully, the audio commentary fills in most of the blanks. It's a project that came together very quickly as Tony pretty much willed it into existence in what seemed like just a few weeks.

Thanks for your comments!

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'm just going to buy 1492 as an interim until you have a go at it. It's only $2.90 from K2DVD.com It's Region 3 NTSC anamorphic widescreen from South Korea. It'll tide me over until you release another outstanding product.

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator
I have just watched this clip in 720p from 1492, possible a HDTV broadcast? A small hope!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Regarding Capricorn One, i understand the UK edition is lacking in image quality, its in my rental queue so i haven't watched it yet but i trust the person who imported it and is a member of another forum and he reported the image quality wasn't so good, now i'm not talking about how it was filmed but rather what they did to it for the blu ray disc.

So can we look forward to a great American edition of this film, its a classic and i'd love to own a good edition.

Any news. ?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I have the UK Capricorn One and it looks pretty good to me. There's no edge enhancement, boosted contrast or colour, no (obvious) DNR, and the film element seems to be in decent shape. If anything, I'd say most of the minor issues with the image stem from the original photography, which has the slight anamorphic distortion common to films of its time.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ok well i'll check it out later in the year. Good news then.

I might actually be getting confused with their opinion of The Eagle Has Landed since you are saying it's fine. I know it was one of the ITV releases.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I have a bunch of those ITV discs and they all look quite good to me - Capricorn One, The Eagle Has Landed, The Boys From Brazil, Escape to Athena, The Ipcress File, The Company of Wolves. They were part of a big order I placed with Amazon UK and the only ones I remember being disappointed with were The Italian Job and Zulu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks