Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Questions regarding "1492" and "Revenge"

Charles de Lauzirika

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jesper Hall

Jesper Hall

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted October 05 2008 - 07:26 PM

Hi Charles.

Let me start by saying thank you for some of my favorite movie-docs of all time. The Alien and Blade Runner material was priceless for fans Posted Image

I have two questions for you:
1. I am a big fan of Ridley Scotts "1492: Conquest of Paradise". I read an interview a while back with Ridley where he talked about the possibility of a director's cut version (3hrs+) of the movie. Is there a possibility of this coming out, and are you involved in it?
I loved Paramounts release of Black Rain on Bluray, so my hopes are that 1492 (which I believe Paramount has distribution right for in the US) is close behind.

2. My second question is about Tony Scotts "Revenge".
I loved seeing Tonys new cut on Bluray disc (though I would have loved the original longer cut as well). The movie has been a favorite of mine for a long time, so I enjoyed your documentary "Obsession: The Sex and Violence of Revenge". The documentary is kind of short though (15 minutes). I was just getting in to it, and I would love to hear more about the film. The runningtime and the way it is titled makes me wonder if it is not part of a larger documentary on the film, that wasn't released on the disc?

Thanks again.

Jesper

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles de Lauzirika

Charles de Lauzirika

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 05:07 AM

Jesper:

1. Yes, according to Ridley, there is a longer cut of 1492 out there somewhere, but beyond that, I haven't heard a thing.

2. I would have loved to have done a longer piece on Revenge, but schedule, budget and disc space all played a part in the current (short) running time. There also wasn't much behind-the-scenes support material available, so to do a feature-length doc would have required us to spread our resources pretty thin. (I ran into the exact same challenges with my featurette on the upcoming Capricorn One special edition.) Hopefully, the audio commentary fills in most of the blanks. It's a project that came together very quickly as Tony pretty much willed it into existence in what seemed like just a few weeks.

Thanks for your comments!

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts

Posted July 27 2009 - 10:38 PM

I would love to see 1492 in any form on Blu-ray, hopefully with some of your production

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted July 28 2009 - 11:58 PM

I'm just going to buy 1492 as an interim until you have a go at it. It's only $2.90 from K2DVD.com It's Region 3 NTSC anamorphic widescreen from South Korea. It'll tide me over until you release another outstanding product.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Flemming.K

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 05:42 AM

I have just watched this clip in 720p from 1492, possible a HDTV broadcast? A small hope!

Waiting impatiently for Sir Ridley Scotts Prometheus!

Danish filmsite Cinefil

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Producer

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 30 2010 - 07:10 AM

Regarding Capricorn One, i understand the UK edition is lacking in image quality, its in my rental queue so i haven't watched it yet but i trust the person who imported it and is a member of another forum and he reported the image quality wasn't so good, now i'm not talking about how it was filmed but rather what they did to it for the blu ray disc.

So can we look forward to a great American edition of this film, its a classic and i'd love to own a good edition.

Any news. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,163 posts

Posted July 01 2010 - 03:03 PM

I have the UK Capricorn One and it looks pretty good to me. There's no edge enhancement, boosted contrast or colour, no (obvious) DNR, and the film element seems to be in decent shape. If anything, I'd say most of the minor issues with the image stem from the original photography, which has the slight anamorphic distortion common to films of its time.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Producer

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 02 2010 - 06:04 PM

Ok well i'll check it out later in the year. Good news then.

I might actually be getting confused with their opinion of The Eagle Has Landed since you are saying it's fine. I know it was one of the ITV releases.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,163 posts

Posted July 03 2010 - 05:04 PM

I have a bunch of those ITV discs and they all look quite good to me - Capricorn One, The Eagle Has Landed, The Boys From Brazil, Escape to Athena, The Ipcress File, The Company of Wolves. They were part of a big order I placed with Amazon UK and the only ones I remember being disappointed with were The Italian Job and Zulu.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts

Posted July 04 2010 - 09:53 PM

The ITV discs are always outstanding, Italian Job and Zulu are Paramount/Sky