Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dimming LED lights

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 the owl

the owl

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 05 2008 - 05:18 PM

I have two 90 light sets of Sylvania LED Series micro-styled lights in clear(white). Does anyone know if there are dimmers that will work for them without ruining them? I've conflicting stories.. Also, can't find a number to call to check with them. Thanks

#2 of 5 SherardP

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 10:12 AM

Lutron Spacer System or Maestro will do the trick and look good installed.

#3 of 5 Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted October 06 2008 - 10:37 AM

It depends on a lot of things. One of the problems with most electronic dimmers, particularly SCR-based, is that they "leak." And while the voltage leaking isn't high, it's enough that most SCR-type dimmers WON'T dim LEDs.

On the other hand, if you were to put a dummy or ghost load on the dimmer as well, say, a 25-watt incandescent lamp or something like that, it might make it work out properly. It's something I keep meaning to try...

Leo

#4 of 5 chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 03:56 AM

Leo is spot-on. If you can hide a 25 to 60 watt light bulb somewhere in a closet or whatever, then the "leak" through the dimmer will be absorbed (so to speak) by the bulb, so that your LEDs dim properly.
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#5 of 5 the owl

the owl

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 07:38 AM

Thanks guys for your help. I'll let you know how things turn out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users