Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What do you think, can I buy a plug-in electric car in 5 years?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 of 60 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 04:17 PM

Something wrong with the math there....
0.04149% maybe? Despite the mistake, it's still an awfully small percentage. 241 million vehicles? Ouch! That's two cars for every three people in the USA including those who don't drive! As for power outlets in buildings, I believe the Tesla Roadster comes with a fast 220 volt charging station for home charging, along with a separate power cord equipped with a standard North American plug for on-the-road charging. Of course, you still have to wait hours for the batteries to be charged. And if you're on the road, that could be a problem. Electricity is still not as convenient as typical liquid fuels which can be added to a vehicle in a matter of minutes.

#42 of 60 OFFLINE   LynxFX

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 05:08 PM

Bob Lutz says you could charge a GM electric car with your Hummer if you like. Now that is progress. Posted Image

#43 of 60 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted October 11 2008 - 06:31 AM

There is a new electric "car" company that will be building a assembly factory with in an hours drive from where I live. They are taking reservation down payments. Electric Cars | ZAP Electric Cars | Green Electric Car | Ride The Future
I can see their place in and around town, but I don't think I will be buying one of these anytime soon. Hopefully they will help the local economy out though.

#44 of 60 OFFLINE   Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter

• 1,327 posts

Posted October 13 2008 - 06:59 AM

Israel is actually signed up to do a nationwide "test" of electric cars complete with recharging stations, battery swap centers, etc. The technology is already here, we just need to embrace it. That said, it will be the oil companies that will ultimately be the strongest force to butt heads with. I saw that Who killed the Electric car? film. GM had a terribly good product, it just so happens that oil companies have more power to influence the state of mind of politicians and people alike. But I think with all these things happening right now, we may yet just skip over them like they're not even there. Imagine if the EV-1, the Ford Ranger electric, the RAV 4 electric were fully accepted, I bet we would have a bunch of other electric vehicles around to choose from...and we probably won't have this climate problem.

#45 of 60 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted October 14 2008 - 07:39 AM

I bet we would have a bunch of other electric vehicles around to choose from...and we probably won't have this climate problem.
Well some scientists argue that the ozone erosion we're enjoying now is the long term effect of what we did 1890-1950. Even if we stopped driving today it could be decades before everything we've pumped into the atmosphere is fully felt on the ground. Or we could get hit by taxis tomorrow. I'm not losing sleep over the 'global warming' issue, which has made my neck of the woods 'cold & wet' for the last few years (although it gives NYC that Seattle charm I suppose).
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#46 of 60 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 08:55 AM

oops - double post!
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#47 of 60 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 08:55 AM

That said, it will be the oil companies that will ultimately be the strongest force to butt heads with. I saw that Who killed the Electric car? film. GM had a terribly good product, it just so happens that oil companies have more power to influence the state of mind of politicians and people alike.
I would take the information you gleaned from viewing that "documentary" with a huuuuuge grain of salt if I were you.Posted Image
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#48 of 60 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 04:35 PM

Well, I finally got my new 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid. So far it has been very cool to drive. With the navigation system display, it can also show you a graph of your mileage the last 30 min of driving. I swear, just by having that graph there I am really trying to squeeze every bit out of the hybrid system. It tends to make me a slower/safer driver. I dont jackrabbit start (because I want to keep it on electric mode as long as possible) and I dont zip up to stop lights and then brake (because I want to gradually brake and use the system to regenerate as much juice as I can) and I try and keep my speed even. I know it sounds goofy, but the fact that the car gives you a readout of "Excellent!" on one of the displays if your milage is good just drives me to achieve better mileage! Best so far on my commute home has been 5.5L/100Km (which is about 43 mpg) which is pretty darn good for a full sized sedan!
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#49 of 60 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,283 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 04 2008 - 07:02 PM

Well, I finally got my new 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid. So far it has been very cool to drive. With the navigation system display, it can also show you a graph of your mileage the last 30 min of driving. I swear, just by having that graph there I am really trying to squeeze every bit out of the hybrid system. It tends to make me a slower/safer driver.
Just don't be too conservative -- coasting at 45mph on the highway and waiting for 10 minutes to make the perfect left turn -- and cause hybrid rage! Posted Image

#50 of 60 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 05 2008 - 05:10 AM

Been doing that for years before Hybrids even became popular...

Especially on my bike, makes the track stand a little less long... Posted Image

jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#51 of 60 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted November 08 2008 - 08:45 PM

My dad's averaging 45 mpg (US) on his 05 Prius, and does not drive any differently than he ever has, which could hardly be described as conservatively. I've seen a couple of the Zap things around here, but only 2--they don't have AC which is an absolute necessity in a city where the temp rises to well over 95 deg F from mid-may to mid-October.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#52 of 60 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,283 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 08:08 PM

Closer to ten years, but I may get my Tesla in 2017http://www.autoexpre...world-exclusive

#53 of 60 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 05:07 AM

At 35k I think it'll do well.  I have it on my radar.

#54 of 60 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,283 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 05:59 AM

I fear it will have a two year pre-order queue.Priced like every a hybrid Accord, Altima, or Camry, it's affordable-ish. 200 mile range, enough for all but the worst urban commuters, and good for weekend day trips. And it hopefully has many of the little touches and bells and whistles that make Tesla so futuristic. This could be huge.

#55 of 60 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,283 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 06:31 AM

http://www.clickhole...ble-new-car-555

#56 of 60 OFFLINE   vidiot33

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 02:34 PM

What does this have to do with Home Theater?

#57 of 60 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,283 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 05:17 PM

More than Silica. About the same as Grills. Less than dancing bananas.

#58 of 60 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 07:10 PM

I don't know, I think clickhole was kind of padding their list to get to 10.

#59 of 60 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,283 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 07:50 PM

I agree, but #4,5,6 are important features to me. Especially 6. My current car is Blue, and I feel it's a superior color for a superior car. #10 worries me. Glove compartments are just purgatory for unwanted single gloves and insurance cards from 2007.

#60 of 60 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,283 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 03:50 AM

http://arstechnica.c...hile-in-motion/Tesla is hacked. News us thin, but I understand the app that lets owners remotely honk the horn and such was bypassed. I don't know if this is a BFD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users