Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Overheating power cord to laptop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted October 01 2008 - 08:34 AM

What would make the power cable that plugs into the back of my office laptop suddenly start to get burning hot?

It was really getting piping hot, and sometimes the computer would shut off, so I ordered another power cord (the power cord and bulky cube on the cord thing) that had the same specs, and I tried using that.

It melted. The plug that goes into the back of the laptop melted inside it. Fortunately all the plastic came out when I yanked it out.

So I went back to the older power cable. Which must be a better plastic because so far, it has not melted even though it gets really hot.

I don't know what could be the problem. I've had overheating computers before, but usually that was the processor overheating from dust in the vents. This is different - this appears to be heat being caused by the way electricity gets into the computer. I have no ideas about this. Any help appreciated. Would a better power strip help? The one I have is less than a year old, and isn't a cheap one.

Sadly, a new computer is unlikely to be an option, unless the problem gets worse. So far, it only shuts itself off maybe every other day, so I am managing. But I am concerned.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted October 01 2008 - 08:45 AM

Sounds to me like the input (AC) voltage may be incorrect. If you feed 240 V to a device designed for 120 V, you'll get what you describe here. You need to verify the line voltage coming out of that outlet and make sure it matches what the transformer [bulky cube] is designed for. Some transformers can handle both. If everything is correct there, then you may have a bad power supply in your laptop.

By all means, stop using the computer until you get this resolved.

John
"The names Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me "Psycho."
Any of YOU guys call ME Francis, and I'll kill ya!"

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted November 13 2008 - 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dirk
By all means, stop using the computer until you get this resolved.
Ditto. On all counts, but particularly this one. Sounds like you are either running off a 240V line or there is some crossed wires somewhere which is pumping a lot of stray voltage into that outlet. Regardless, it is dangerous and you should get it fixed.

EDIT: You might also want to try a voltage regulator on the outlet. Something like one of Monster's clean power or something similar to see if that helps. But getting an electrician in would be the best option.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 04:05 PM

Thanks John and Justin, I think you're on the right track -- the building is very old and so I will get someone to check the voltage. I've gotten by the last few weeks by placing the power cube thing on glass, which is very good at dissipating the heat. But sometimes the computer still shuts off, so... electrician it is. Thanks.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   amidcars

amidcars

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 05 2009 - 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
What would make the power cable that plugs into the back of my office laptop suddenly start to get burning hot?

It was really getting piping hot, and sometimes the computer would shut off, so I ordered another power cord (the power cord and bulky cube on the cord thing) that had the same specs, and I tried using that.

It melted. The plug that goes into the back of the laptop melted inside it. Fortunately all the plastic came out when I yanked it out.

So I went back to the older power cable. Which must be a better plastic because so far, it has not melted even though it gets really hot.

I don't know what could be the problem. I've had overheating computers before, but usually that was the processor overheating from dust in the vents. This is different - this appears to be heat being caused by the way electricity gets into the computer. I have no ideas about this. Any help appreciated. Would a better power strip help? The one I have is less than a year old, and isn't a cheap one.

Sadly, a new computer is unlikely to be an option, unless the problem gets worse. So far, it only shuts itself off maybe every other day, so I am managing. But I am concerned.

This definitely seems to be incorrect input to the PC...you must get it checked first with some mechanic..

Forum Nav Content I Follow