Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Just switched to Charter telephone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts

Posted September 30 2008 - 03:59 AM

We have been trying to lower our monthly bills for some time now and yesterday I got a call from Charter with an offer I felt I couldn't refuse: digital cable with the exact same package I have now ( every movie channel they offer plus the HD tier with DVR), 5Meg internet, and telephone service, all for $119.97 a month for two years!
I have resisted these calls in the past as I felt At&T telephone service was reliable and was hesitant to use V.O.I.P but this deal saves us $100 a month and will save $2,500 over the two year plan. I had been paying around $178 a month just for cable and internet and then $60 for telephone.
I have a fear of the unknown and am wondering if I did the right thing, does anyone else have any experience with cable telephone?
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted September 30 2008 - 08:54 AM

I work on a virtual team that is spread across the US. Most everyone except me is on voice over IP. Sometimes the calls sound like they are in a well. Othertimes they need to reboot their router. I pay more for my POTS (plain old telephone service) but it works every time.

-Robert

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts

Posted September 30 2008 - 10:44 AM

Umm, yikes! If that is what I have to look forward to I may reconsider, however, Charter did say they were on a private network as opposed to Vonage being public ( or something like that).

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted October 05 2008 - 02:56 AM

I've been using VOIP for years. For the last couple I've had ATT CallVantage. It's been very reliable. Once in the 2 years they had a substantial network issue that took several hours to fix. Other than that, it's been reliable enough for work and home. The issues with echo's and things like that on conference calls have been in my experience issues with the conference call provider rather than issues with VOIP. You of course need reliable broadband service for VOIP to be reliable.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts

Posted October 05 2008 - 03:54 AM

Thanks for another point of view. I've had cable internet since 1999 and it used to be buggy but has since gotten much better, I am still using the original RCA modem I bought for $200.