-

Photo
- - - - -

DVDSpot Users - what will you do now?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,416 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 29 2008 - 03:50 PM

DVDSpot is going away on October 15th. Any idea what you will use instead to keep track of your collection?

Quote:
On Wednesday October 15th DVDSpot will be closed permanently. This decision was made to allow us to focus on other great web properties. We sincerely appreciate everyone's contribution to the DVDSpot community and hope you enjoyed the free services it provided. We understand many people will not want to lose their personal collection data, so we remind you that you can export that data to file by going to Membership Tools while logged in and clicking the Export to File button. This will create a file with all movies in your Owned and Watched lists.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#2 of 25 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 01 2008 - 02:44 PM

Wow, i didnt know this. I also use DVD Profiler. I really like it, even though its not free, its a good deal for a little money. Especially if you have a large collection.
Thanks for the heads up Cameron!

#3 of 25 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,416 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 01 2008 - 04:32 PM

I used DVD Profiler when I had a Windows PC, but stopped when I moved to a Mac. I have Delicious Library, but I haven't quite embraced it fully.

#4 of 25 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,536 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 02 2008 - 05:22 AM

Interesting news. I just got a new PC computer and have been trying to decide on a software package to use for my collection (previously I tried using just a MS Works dbase, but that was very time consuming and is now hopelessly out of date). I'm definitely leaning to DVD Profiler, as that seems to have to most references and accolades.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 25 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted October 02 2008 - 03:54 PM

Well, I was surprised to see DVDSpot shutting down.

I must have had a psychic moment a little while back though, as I started transferring my collection (now at 700+ titles) over to DVDPedia on my shiny new iMac. (Recently converted to Mac after many years of being a loyal PC tech and sysadmin.)

I started doing the transfer a few weeks back,in my spare time, and just finished last night. (Oddly, just shortly after DVDSpot made the announcement. What are the odds?)

Anyway, great program, iSight camera can scan barcodes and lots of nice features. Plus it works with it's brother program, PocketPedia for the iPhone. (Also recently acquired!) So I have my collection on me at all times. No more "do we have this?"

(Actually, I only found out about this program BECAUSE of PocketPedia. Discovered it while looking for goodies for the new iPhone.)

So far, I love the program, especially since it can generate web pages for your collection, and track borrowed DVDs easily. Heck, it even sends out automated return-reminders to folks that have borrowed a disk, if you want it to. The only thing it doesn't do well is track the number of individual titles. (So a box-set of three movies is only counted as one entry, not three.)

I'll miss DVDSpot... it's been great for years now. However, I'm sure happy with my new discovery. Mac users, check it out.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial for Apple at all. Posted Image

#6 of 25 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,416 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 02 2008 - 03:57 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info Tony!

#7 of 25 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,416 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 02 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hm. Turns out I had already looked at DVDPedia, but had opted for Delicious Library. I hadn't really kept on top of things with DL, but it was relatively simple getting things updated.

#8 of 25 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted October 03 2008 - 07:38 AM

Fortunately I was OCD enough to use DVDSpot, DVDAF and Profiler simultaneously, so I can still keep using the survivors...

I'm still bummed, because DVD Spot was so easy to use and well designed.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#9 of 25 Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted October 03 2008 - 08:18 AM

Count me as another vote for DVD Profiler. Easy to use, and inexpensive (product updates are free, with premium registration), and the database is massive.

#10 of 25 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted October 03 2008 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McElligott
Fortunately I was OCD enough to use DVDSpot, DVDAF and Profiler simultaneously

Funny, me too.

#11 of 25 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted November 30 2008 - 06:26 AM

I wish I had been surfing the After Hours Lounge a couple of months ago. I haven't purchased any DVDs in a while so it wasn't until today that I realized DVD Spot had shut down. Needless to say, I didn't get a chance to back up the file of my nearly 450 DVDs I own. I might just go back to my Access database.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#12 of 25 Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted November 30 2008 - 08:37 AM

I am reading this thread, checking out these (MAC-centric) collection database sites, and lamenting that I can't find one that's simple. I have long desired a single web page I can send by URL to my mother-in-law and she can click on it and see just DVD cover art of the titles I own. Maybe she can click radio buttons and arrange the page to show DVD cover art by genre ("Western," "Noir") or by major star ("Dana Andrews," "Woody Allen"), or just a default "show all." She could scroll down and down and just look at quick-loading low res DVD cover art images. What do you have? She may ask, and I'd send her my link.

She has no need of all the film stats or collection connections. Just the pick-a-title cover art display.

I guess I have to learn to build this kind of thing myself. Anyone else overwhelmed by DVD collection database choices? (Prolly it's just me.)

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#13 of 25 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,416 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted December 01 2008 - 06:07 AM

I settled on DVDPedia. It has an export to HTML function with a variety of templates, including cover art only. You would still need a place to host the pages though.

#14 of 25 Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted December 01 2008 - 09:31 AM

I'm too PC for DVDPedia.

Posted Image

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#15 of 25 geis

geis

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 01 2008 - 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee
DVDSpot is going away on October 15th. Any idea what you will use instead to keep track of your collection?

Hey, has anyone here had a chance to try out www.DVDCorral.com yet? It's a free online DVD Catalog / Collection site. You can store your collection, sort movies by title, genre, etc. and you can also track who has currently borrowed a DVD. We've gotten a lot of good feedback from users so far, and if you have any particular suggestions feel free to send them along!

We're working to add a new import / export feature, so you can load your collection quickly from another program and back it up (export) to a CSV so you'll know you have your collection no matter what. That seems to be something a lot of these other sites neglected, so hopefully that will allay some of the fears caused by other sites which went down.

Thanks,
geis

#16 of 25 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,072 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 01 2008 - 01:13 PM

does it work with a Mac?

I use dvdpedia but can't figure out any way to put my collection online so my friends can see it.
facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 25 geis

geis

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 02 2008 - 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
does it work with a Mac?

I use dvdpedia but can't figure out any way to put my collection online so my friends can see it.

Absolutely! DVDCorral is completely web-based, not a downloadable app, and we support Safari as well as Firefox, IE, etc.

We're implementing a CSV import option now. Should be ready in the next day or two for beta testing. I assume dvdpedia outputs to CSV. If you want to send over a brief file (you can just send it to webmaster at DVDCorral.com) we can make sure we read those correctly also.

It's completely free, so check it out and see how you like it. If the public movies doesn't do what you need, let us know what you'd like to see from it.

-geis

#18 of 25 CmdrTallen

CmdrTallen

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 24 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hi,
Check out DvdCrate.com, it allows you to upload your DvdSpot file and has alot of the same features of DvSpot. A forum, large database (over 158k discs), growing user base, export your collection, print lists, etc. New feature suggestions are welcome in the forum and its under heavy development.

Not trying to sound like a commercial, just saying I think (even at its current infancy stage, its a valid free alternative to DvdSpot).

Disclaimer; I am the developer of Dvdcrate.com

#19 of 25 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted December 25 2008 - 06:51 AM

I have entered most of my DVD collection into DVD Aficionado. I wish there was a way to print out my list of owned DVDs.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#20 of 25 speters33w

speters33w

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 23 2009 - 04:32 AM

I am looking for a web-based DVD cataloging system that works like LibraryThing. Paid subscription is OK.

I used to use DVD Spot until they started requiring scanned images of the back of a DVD to enter it into the database. That was just too much, since about half the DVDs I buy weren't in their database. They left the internet two months after I stopped using them.

I've tried DVD Aficionado, DVD Corral, DVD Crate so far. Out of these I personally like DVD Crate the best, but I have a lot of DVDs with either no UPC or a UPC that is duplicate to another unique DVD, it looks like they require an e-mail to submit each one in these cases.

I should not have to have a unique UPC (or a UPC at all) to enter a DVD into a database.

What I like about LibraryThing:

I like to browse similar collections (from other users) to mine, and see if there is something good I never heard of before in the collection.

I like their recommendations based on a book I view (based on user collections). This would be sort of similar to Amazon's "Other users who viewed this item purchased..."

I like it that I can MANUALLY ENTER a book, I have a lot of obscure books no-one else on LibraryThing have.
For example, I recorded the series CNN Millennium to DVD from VHS. The series has NEVER been available on DVD. I'd like to be able to add it to my own private database. I also have DVDs I recorded from PAL VHS to NTSC DVD. I'd like to see these in my private collection as well without messing up a public database.

Suggestions, anyone?

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow