Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Desperate Housewives season 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted September 28 2008 - 03:22 AM

Desperate Housewives jumps 5 years into the future for their 5th season. Their premiere is tonight on ABC at 9 p.m. EDT.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 65 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted September 28 2008 - 03:20 PM

I thought the premiere was decent, kept my interest with the jump ahead, now I wonder who Dave wants to give a beat-down to on Wisteria Lane.

What state is considered the "Eagle State"? I noticed that on Edie's car license plate.

The Scavo hellion twins look a lot like young Matt Damons.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 65 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,638 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
I thought the premiere was decent, kept my interest with the jump ahead, now I wonder who Dave wants to give a beat-down to on Wisteria Lane.

What state is considered the "Eagle State"? I noticed that on Edie's car license plate.
According to State Nicknames from NETSTATE it is Mississippi. The five-year jump ahead definitely did a lot to revitalize the show. You could consider that they have jumped over a few "boring seasons" that only had a few exciting events amongst normal life. We can see those exciting events in flashback and see how this more intriguing year in the life progresses.

#4 of 65 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 29 2008 - 03:07 AM

I just watched this on my other DVR. Not bad. My prediction:

He's there to kill / off / revenge the loss of his wife & child in the car accident with Mike, etc.

I found it interesting that they have Hatcher playing basically the role that mirrors Season 1 plotlines.

It'll be interesting seeing Gabby deal with her overweight child. The bit about making her run for the car.. hilarious.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 65 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 06:05 AM

That's an interesting theory and makes a lot of sense.

I was disappointed that Susan and Mike didn't work out. But nice to see Hatcher playing the character with more of an edge. As you said, she's got the Gaby role now. She's quite the older woman.

I cringed when Tom kicked the mirror off the Mustang. I have a 67 and I know how he feels when he was working on it. I'd never let a 16 year old drive it!

#6 of 65 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,638 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
I was disappointed that Susan and Mike didn't work out. But nice to see Hatcher playing the character with more of an edge. As you said, she's got the Gaby role now. She's quite the older woman.
We'll have to see how the season works out wrt Susan and Mike. I wouldn't bet that Mike is totally out of the picture this season (especially if the theory in spoilers is correct).

Neil

#7 of 65 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
What state is considered the "Eagle State"?
The point is to place the fictional Fairview in a fictional state. They've used that nickname before. I vaguely recall a fake state seal. Even if it's the secondary nickname for Mississippi, I'm guessing that's not what license plates there look like.

Quote:
I was disappointed that Susan and Mike didn't work out
While the reason -- their difference in reaction to the tragedy of the accident -- might actually be realistic, the fact that they had to jump through all those unrealistic hoops to get to that point where they were happy, just so that they can break up, so that now they might get back together... is why I doubt I will tuning in regularly.

#8 of 65 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 10:16 AM

edited.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#9 of 65 OFFLINE   Kyle

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 04:05 PM

Here is a theory:

Bree's dead husband, never really died. He took off to save himself and got plastic surgery to look different. He's hellbent on getting revenge on the woman that attempted to kill him.

I know, way out there, but I've seen weirder story lines
Kyle out-

#10 of 65 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 03:13 AM

Wow, 6 weeks without any posts!

I thought the new episodes have been pretty good and the shows have been going along a nice track. Each storyline has bounced back to down to Earth storylines.

Carlos and Gabby's situation evolved into a more interesting situation of the creepy rich lady Carlos was able to keep happy at the club as she tried to absorb and buy the cash poor Solis family as her own. Too bad Gabby ended it and the lady now will get them back.

I like how the Scavo family is focusing on the one older son too and what happens with the mixed-up situation where Lynette thought Doug was having an affair at Doug's Mancave when it turns out it's their older son and an older woman! Pretty hardcore fight when Lynette hurls and slaps around Anne in the ladies room! That must have been the most violent she and the show has gotten!

The Bree's and their new business is also a nice little thing. But their situation hasn't been as compelling.

And Susan working out her affair with the painter looks like they wanted to evolve it beyond a secret affair. I still hope that later in the season, Susan and Mike and this secret that Edie's husband might be connected and can resolve, if connected and they come together again.

The actor playing the painter had a bad motorcycle accident, so no telling how they continue Susan's storyline.

Also, last night, while watching in HD, I never noticed before that Teri Hatcher has one front tooth that doesn't match the rest, one is whiter then the rest! So it must be a cap! Surprising given how good cosmetic dentistry is now. Looked like she hides it now that I look for it.

So far, Dana Delany's storyline is sort of an afterthought, or it seems to have fizzled. It was nice her character helps out Bree when Orson is in prison. Though interesting that she and Mike are having a fling.

#11 of 65 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 07:24 AM

Quote:
Wow, 6 weeks without any posts!

I thought the new episodes have been pretty good and the shows have been going along a nice track. Each storyline has bounced back to down to Earth storylines.

So far, Dana Delany's storyline is sort of an afterthought, or it seems to have fizzled. It was nice her character helps out Bree when Orson is in prison. Though interesting that she and Mike are having a fling.

I've fallen into watching it again. As a black comedy it has some real laughs. Tho it is incredibly repetitive in its plots, and the long-term characters never turn into better people Posted Image

I can't wait to see what the garage band has to do with the creepy guy's plan for revenge on Mike.

As for Dana, as she is the only woman on the show IMO who is good to look at, I hope she will stay around for awhile longer. And I am enjoying Lilly Tomlin's character.

#12 of 65 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,638 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
The actor playing the painter had a bad motorcycle accident, so no telling how they continue Susan's storyline.
From what I saw it has meant writing him out of one episode. That might be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Watson
I can't wait to see what the garage band has to do with the creepy guy's plan for revenge on Mike.
I think we'll see that next week. If you saw the previews
you will have seen that there is a fire in the place where they are playing. Perhaps that fire will be the "accident" that he uses to get try to get rid of Mike (still assuming that Mike is the target).

#13 of 65 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 10 2008 - 08:29 AM

Seems pretty clear to me that Mike is the target.

Didn't they as much as say that he killed psycho-boy's brother in prison? In self-defense, of course.

Regards,

Joe

#14 of 65 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,906 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 01:36 AM

This show is still as painful to watch as it's ever been...but yet I still watch. Posted Image

Had to laugh at the hideous painting of Susan. I was surprised to see the turn they took with that with her actually liking it. Wouldn't it have been a better story if she hated it? Plus it would have made more sense because it was horrible (she looked like a man).

As for the Neal McDonaugh character...seems like a massively convoluted plan to get back at someone. Did he really need to marry Edie and move into the neighborhood to get revenge?

I always thought Susan was by far the most annoying character on the show (possibly on ANY show), but Gabby this season is giving her a run for her money.

#15 of 65 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 11 2008 - 04:45 AM

Quote:
I always thought Susan was by far the most annoying character on the show (possibly on ANY show), but Gabby this season is giving her a run for her money.

Agreed on both counts. Gabby's problem is that she has picked up Susan's most annoying traits - mind-blowing obliviousness and stupidity.

Regards,

Joe

#16 of 65 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 06:18 AM

Gabby has always been so shallow and materialistic in the past, can't believe she'd blow the 50K (or is it 100K) that Carlos would have made with his "massage" techniques, plus the trip, clothes, etc.

Granted, it was turning into a creepy arrangement, with that Michael Jackson vibe to it, but she seems like the type of person to have toughed it out for a month or two. Now it looks like she may regret her actions.
Stan

#17 of 65 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,638 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Gabby has always been so shallow and materialistic in the past, can't believe she'd blow the 50K (or is it 100K) that Carlos would have made with his "massage" techniques, plus the trip, clothes, etc.
I'm surprised that she blew the arrangement so quickly. I'd have thought we'd see her living high for a few weeks.

#18 of 65 OFFLINE   Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,470 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 11:03 AM

Quote:

Gale Harold (of my "QAF" avatar) is recovering nicely, from all accounts. Marc Cherry has stated he WILL NOT be dropped from the show and he may just need to rewrite an episode or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottH
Had to laugh at the hideous painting of Susan. I was surprised to see the turn they took with that with her actually liking it. Wouldn't it have been a better story if she hated it? Plus it would have made more sense because it was horrible (she looked like a man).

Meaning, it was pretty true to life. Oh, I'm just so jealous of Teri Hatcher.

#19 of 65 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 06:53 AM

No love for Desperate Housewives lately? I must confess I had gotten to the point where as long as I was in the same room when it was on was fine by me but this season has really kicked it up a notch.
Sometimes I really want to strangle Gabby with regards to the rich old lady, make up your mind, please!!
The nightclub scene gave me chills as I remembered the Great White concert at The Station club in R.I.
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#20 of 65 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,638 posts

Posted November 20 2008 - 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
Seems pretty clear to me that Mike is the target.
Well, that was confirmed. Now, just what else does he have in mind?

I thought we were going to lose a major character in the fire, but it seems that it was just the psychiatrist and perhaps a few extras (?). No new episode this coming Sunday due to the music awards.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow