What's new

Dexter Season 3 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Premiere tomorrow night. If you have On Demand, you can see the premiere.

Best opening episode I've seen of any show this season. Unbelievably good. Whoever writes this show should be praised for how well scripted and tight this program is.

If you haven't seen Dexter Season 1 & 2, you missed out.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't seen season 1 and/or 2, don't watch the opening recap sequence for season's 3 premiere, it gives away a lot of stuff that just built and built upon each episode of the previous seasons.

Good start to season 3, this episode was.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes indeedy. The writing on this show is so sharp. And the cast is top notch. It will be interesting to see what journey Dexter will take this season.

The first episode of Season 3 continues to carry the quality bar of the previous seasons.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I already saw the season 3 premiere about 3 weeks ago.
It was really good.
Are we allowed to talk about it in detail yet??

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm wondering how much of a trend this is going to be to have things available "On Demand" before the premiere.. I mean, it's not happening anywhere but Showtime, apparently, but I wonder if it's going to spread. They did the same thing with "The Wire" for Season 5.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I just watched Chuck S2 Premiere on their website. Interesting how the whole thing is changing; they are saying 30 Rock is going to do the same thing premiering on Itunes or Hulu. Who knows. Whole knew era.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Now that it's aired...

This show is, to me, the best thing on TV, anywhere. My DVR spends it's Sunday nights now occupied with Showtime & AMC...

But this episode of Dexter is just chock full of classic material. What I love about Dexter is how solid both the writing and direction are. Jimmy Smits, playing the prosecutor in this fills his role, and he comes across with one of the better performances of his career.

The way that they so effectively use non-verbal communication to deliver meaning in scene after scene should be studied by so many other programs just to see how it's done. Dexter looking across the bed, zoned out, waiting for the phone to ring. Or the eyes on the staff as they see Deb jumping off a verbal cliff and can't stop her.

The scriptwriting is intense but concise. This is a show that makes the most of the visual media of any program I've ever watched. Small nuances are dead on, and every actor really provides a kind of performance you buy into.

I wish they hadn't done the flash forward to seemingly tons of episodes for the whole season at the end - kind of a negative.

Favorite moments:

* Deb swearing off liquor, smokes & guys.
* "Where are you right now.." ?
* Trying to explain blood spatter analysis to 10 year olds.
* Who the hell is Oscar Prado (Really?) what will we find out?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I didn't know Yoda watched this show! ;)

Awesome start to the season, Dexter killing a non-target and his struggle to justify it was the perfect way to begin things.

It looks as though the guy was shady himself but was he shady enough to satisfy Dex? Judging from the guys rap sheet I don't think so but there is something else up with the guy.

Yep, Deb's mouth has come back to bite her in the ass, it does suck that she came up with something but was thrown off for being herself but I must agree with Angel's call, the girl is a good cop but man, she needs to learn some tact.

Dexter has to find and take care of the dope dealer, if i'm not mistaken didn't he see Dex walk in and start fighting with the guy? If he's caught before Dex can find him he might squeal on Dex.

Lastly, I don't know about anyone else but the opening credit sequence never fails to make me hungry. ;)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I have read the seasons described as various stages in Dexter's growth: Season 1 was his childhood, Season 2 was his teen years, and this Season is to be about Dexter becoming an adult.

The first episode of Season 3 adroitly sets up the season's arc and I can't wait to see Dexter's reactions to his impending fatherhood over the course of the season.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
What I like about Dexter is that I have NO idea whatsoever on where the show is headed. Most shows telegraph a lot and you can speculate on what the characters will do and how they'll react. I don't get that from Dexter. And while it makes me uneasy, I'm also eagerly waiting on the next episode.

One thing about all the sex - I wish Julie would just show us (well, at least me) the goodies!

ErichH

Screenwriter

She has in Season 1 & 2. As for the humping in this one, it's probably over until Little Dex arrives ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Holy cow. I did not, in any way, see that coming. I had seen the previews, which give it away; but the previews are so well cut that they gave me a much different impression of what happen then what occurred.

One of the only shows that consistently surprises me (in a good way). Now where does Dexter go from here?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Could the writers saddle Dexter with anymore obstacles to his chosen profession? Dealing with the pregnancy on one front, and having Miguel on his other flank, while also beating Deb to the punch in terms of leads has to wear on a guy. Fun stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks