Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Star Wars: The Clone Wars (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,619 posts

Posted September 25 2008 - 07:53 PM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted September 26 2008 - 01:22 AM

So no news on the Clone Wars series 1 and 2 from Tartakovsky Posted Image Hoping they would ride this little wave.

I'd buy those.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted September 28 2008 - 05:05 PM

Me too...

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted September 28 2008 - 05:09 PM

although it would be a little weird to release a series that was pretty much erased and overwritten with the current series Posted Image
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,077 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 29 2008 - 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
So no news on the Clone Wars series 1 and 2 from Tartakovsky Posted Image Hoping they would ride this little wave.

I'd buy those.
I would too, if they were created in HD. The Tartakovsky series bears all the hallmarks of having been created in a Flash-based 2D software series, so if this is the case and it was only produced in 480p, a BD release would be pointless.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   John Troutman

John Troutman

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
I would too, if they were created in HD. The Tartakovsky series bears all the hallmarks of having been created in a Flash-based 2D software series, so if this is the case and it was only produced in 480p, a BD release would be pointless.

Well, if it was created in Flash, then all the art is vector, which would imply that it could be scaled up to infinite sizes without any loss in quality. If that's the case, it would look CRAZY sharp at 1080p on BD. And there'd be no compression artifacts plaguing the line work.

As for the Clone Wars in the thread title... :BLURGH!:

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,077 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 29 2008 - 10:15 AM

I enjoyed SW:TCW for what it is: a kid's flick, plain and simple. My older son wanted to see it for his birthday, so I took both boys and they really enjoyed themselves.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted November 08 2008 - 02:56 PM

Received this couple of days ago and watched it tonight. PQ/AQ I thought were good. Most of the special features are in HD. The making-of webisodes feature various clips of Ep. 1-6 in HD.Posted Image The video commentary was a let down. While it is exclusive to the Blu-Ray version, it's not a profile 1.1(bonus view) type video commentary. It's hard encoded @ 720x480. If that's all they were going to do, they should have just made it an audio commentary so you could still enjoy the movie in HD. Overall it's a nice little appetizer till Ep. 1-6 are released.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,245 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 08 2008 - 03:30 PM

Quote:
@ 720x480

what is that 720p?
whatever it was it looked sd to me.
I turned it off after a couple minutes.

film itself looked very good.
Looked like it may have been just a tad soft giving it a real film look and not a digital video game look.
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted November 09 2008 - 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
what is that 720p?

No it's 480i/p. 720p is 1280x720.

Also for those that dislike the auto-start feature, you'll be happy to know that after the FBI warning and THX trailer there is an actual main menu.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 646 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 07:10 AM

I just got this today, I was shocked to find it defaulting to an actual menu, I think this is a first for Warners.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,338 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 11 2008 - 09:48 AM

^Maybe that's a call from Lucasfilm Limited since WB is just distributing the disc?

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow