What's new

Is there a BD you wish you had not purchased? (1 Viewer)

Cowbell

Grip
Real Name
Steve
I’ve got my BD player on order, so I’m hoping to avoid picking up a BD that is somewhat less stellar than expected. So that lead me to my question.

In your library of Blu-ray disc’s, which one do you wish you’d passed on? Why?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Patton... I had it ordered and shipped before seeing all the negative press about the DNR that was applied. Its not a bad release but in hindsight, on the principal of not wanting to encourage the use of DNR, I would have passed.

That said I own 60+ other titles on Blu-ray and I wouldn't give them up at all.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Only one - which won't hurt you in practice.

But I have to admit I didn't order Patton, The Longest Day and Gangs of New York, because I was being warned in time on this forum.
(Excessive application of DNR)

Also I never ordered the Pirates of the Caribbean movies on blu-ray (and I'm not sure if a replacement program has ever been in place).
(Cropping errors)

The BD I regret is the first release of The Fifth Element (bad image compression), but Sony released a new version, which is significantly better. I have that one too.

Cees

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Not yet, but I've only got about 10 or so titles so far. Out of my 120 or so HD DVD and 350 or so DVDs, though, I can't say I have a title I "wished I didn't buy". There are thousands of titles out there (if we count all three optical disc formats) that I don't want, but I tend not to "blind buy" as a rule, so I've been lucky so far.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Yes, they have an exchange program for that disc. But i dont know about overseas, Cees. That being said, i never had any interest in the other 2 movies in the series.

I regret none of the BD's i have. I also dont double dip much. If i find a killer price, or if its a movie i LOVE (Planet of the Apes 1968, and the Bond films for instance)I would buy it on any format i have to!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Yeah. The Love Guru. But not because anything is wrong with the image quality. ;) Dear god, what a bad movie...

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha!
Wanted too start a thread like this for over two wks.
Was worried it would get removed.
Or people would think it was anti-Blu.

My title would have been: Any BD's you've already traded in?
That way, it would serve as a warning too others; w/people posting why they returned this or that.

The reason I was going too start the thread was:
"Ozzfest"
Black Sabbath was GREAT. Sounded better than the albums. Just Ozzy played the fool; saying over & over again 'luv you all'. What does love have too do with "War Pigs"? When did a "BS" concert become a sing along? "I" could not enjoy the concert.
Since then there's been:
"Forbidden City"
I didn't like the trailers (Chan's wig is ridiculous, even if that's the point, I can't look at it... fake, fake, fake!). So I never thought I'd even see this. Good reviews & a $13.99US used price got me too bite & I've been choking ever since. Too "me", bad CGI, bad wire work, bad dialog, unconvincing acting, all adds up to a return.

I'm wavering on:
"Crimson Tide" (I really want: "HfRO")
&
"Deja Vu" (I really want "MoF")

So... hope the thread goes well!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Probably T2, but I felt like being a completist and having all three Terminator films on BD.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
28 Days Later A good movie, nothing great but the PQ is horrible. Director intended from what I heard but it's so bad it's unwatchable. I traded it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I finally saw that one on a rental, and yeah, it looks like SD quality video (not film) rather than HD, except for the ending. I think I might actually pick up the DVD at some point, if/when I spot it in the bargain bin or something. Well, I suppose I'd get the BD, if that's in the bargain bin too. :P FWIW, I enjoyed I am Legend for the most part, but IMHO, this is the better film despite the low budget production.

As for my own actual purchases, so far, XXX is probably amongst the worst I can think of in terms of PQ -- and it's also pretty barebones. However, since I never owned the DVD (and never saw it before at all), I can't say I regret spending the ~$10 I paid for it. And I didn't bother to buy Patton nor Gangs of NY largely because of the widely reported PQ issues.

There are some others I bought that I could live w/out, but those are not due to poor PQ -- they were just blind buys that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. :P

_Man_

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Resident Evil trilogy last December because I had just gotten my new TV and PS3 and was desparate for something new on BD.

Wasn't a big fan of the movies. I had no issues with the presentation, but I have no desire to ever watch them again. I finally sold em to a buddy of mine.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
T2 = PQ was almost indistinguishable from the upconverted SD Extreme Edition.

20 Million Miles to Earth = Forced to pay for it again in the Harryhausen set since I want ICFBTS and EVTFS. Nice way to treat us early adopters Sony! :thumbsdown: :P

In the future:

Probably any bare-bones discs I bought that'll eventually get the deluxe double-dipped treatment. I can only blame myself for those though. :laugh:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I wish I would have read this yesterday. I just bought into BD, and decided to take advantage of an Amazon "buy two, get one BD free" sale. I ordered three favorite films -- Patton, Terminator, and Die Hard -- without looking at any reviews. I just noticed the sale, and it was ending yesterday.

Doh!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
(Re: Pirates of the Caribbean.)
That would be great!

Scott: I'm sure you will enjoy the movie. The price being right and the picture quality certainly not bad (just that one thing....).

Cees

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
So far that I have watched and can remember off the top of my head would be Bonnie & Clyde.

Good PQ and fine audio (it is mono after all) but the movie is terribly over rated and I'd have rather rented it than bought it for what probably ended up being $26-27 CDN after conversion and shipping.

If that movie with that dialog and acting was made today it'd be panned by everyone but somehow it is seen as good film making because it was made over 4 decades ago.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Evil Dead II - Wax City (i.e. Excessive DNR).

Yeah, the Lionsgate is not very good at all. I highly recommend the UK BD.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon

That's because it was shot in SD on a Canon XL-1 video camera (admittedly with an array of lenses). It'll never look good. It'll always look like it's source (Mini-DV, and at 25 fps I believe).

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Beerfest, not because of the quality, but because it was so stupid it made me want to throw myself off my balcony. Sometimes blind buys just go awry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks