What's new

Grey's Anatomy season 5 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Grey's Anatomy starts up season 5 tonight with a 2-hour premiere on ABC at 9 p.m. EDT.

I'm just wondering what ridiculous storyline Katherine Heigl gets saddled with after her diss of the writers last season.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'll admit I saw it last night!

Christina got her due with the ice, twice! That was a WTF moment. Nice to see Kevin McKidd back on the air, but how many cast members can this show take! At least he might make Christina less of a constant negative character.

Nice overall arc for the story. Cool to see Mariette Hartley again.

I knew some of the ABC promos and teases must have had to be either a dream or fantasy sequence. Too bad about Rose. Not sure what's with Izzie, perhaps Pat's right. Surprised to see her still thinking of Denny. Looks like they might get Meredith sorted out with her issues of commitment now that Derek knows to take it slow. With such a large cast, it's amazing they were able to deal with all these characters!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Much better then I expected. For those that like shipper type shows, they've already started off with some interesting ones.

Grey & Derrick are still an item, of course

Alex & Izzie can't get it together.

George.. will he ever figure out that Lexie loves him?

Torres & Hahn... this is the one I thought was pretty dissappointing. They are now contending that Hahn has just now come to discover she's gay. This is an almost amnesia moment from how she was setup previously. Maybe I'm wrong, but it was always portrayed like she "knew" she was last year; so her saying "I'm a virgin to this" seemed off-tone.

Christina & Iraqi military guy: goofball. How did he get a run of the hospital and was able to practice so quickly without anyone checking on him or looking up his credentials. Might as well been some poser off the streets "oh well, let him practice". Storyline I liked least, even though I love the actor.

I like the concept that Seattle Grace is now a hospital on hard times, bad reviews, whatever. I think that could be interesting. I also liked them finally pointing out something I thought was obvious the last two seasons.. everyone went straight to specialties and there were almost no generic surgeries for them to use to learn. I mean, maybe an appendecitis isn't the ratings draw of a double-impaling, but I think several episodes focused on them getting a lot of time doing practical procedures would give the show medical movement and allow them to build the characters too.

Considering the repeated explosions, etc. in their hospital, I'd avoid it too
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regarding the episode in two weeks:

Looks like a water disaster in two weeks. Ok, I've worked in a medical facility. Most codes require the floors be steel tensioned concrete. So, when they showed a water leak crashing through the ceiling from above I thought: what kind of wood structure hospital is this?????

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I thought the Chief did check his credentials before offering him a job. Regardless, it was obvious from his interactions with the staff that he knew his stuff. Is it possible he was an army nurse and is now posing as a doctor... well yeah, I suppose. But Occam's Razor comes into play at some point. I didn't see it as a big issue.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This 2-hour season premiere was merely enjoyable in spots, though I did enjoy the McSteamy toying with Lexi, but her devoting to George is tough to watch because I'm not sure George is worthy of much attention from anyone in the cast at this point.

Hahn and Torres - lesbians on training wheels. Whee!

Christina is so hot and cold, though I sort of enjoyed her icicle impalement. Perhaps the military triage surgeon will return later in the season, will Meredith have the patience to listen to Christine blather about her longings for the military doc?

Meredith and Derek are snooze-worthy nowadays, even if the jilted nurse got in one final jab.

Chief's got a new mission, and everyone has to step up their game, let's see how they spruce up the routine surgeries this season. Bailey's also on notice.

Alec and Izzie are so awkward because Alec still can't accept letting his guard down and letting anyone in emotionally, and Izzie is still haunted by Denny's view of her.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Fixed one of the major problems I had with last season, George is now a Resident (Huzzah!). But is he out of Lexi's wheelhouse now (and what a dope for not seeing what's right in front of him).

I like the concept of them rotating their specialties.. it will be interesting to see if they find themselves attracted to areas they weren't previously considering, the moments of Christina in Dermatology were great.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The October 23rd episode was full of oddities and surprises with the doctor high jinx.

Lexi will have some apologizing to do, but some or most of her tirade was justified towards George.

But what happened between Izzy and George, I'm confused, I guess they decided they were no longer hot for each other after the sex wasn't so hot.

McSteamy and Torres, what an amusing change of events where he's teaching her how to ....

And I guess the Chief is really getting seriousabout his job again. But what happened to his wife, I thought they reconciled and he wasn't going to be such a workaholic? Or she just went on to work for Eli Stone.

Kevin McKidd is back, that will be interesting to see.

The business with Meredith not getting credit, seemed to make sense as she wasn't a full doc yet and her being Derek's girlfriend complicated matters and hurt feelings. But they worked it out.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
George is an idiot. But Lexi is also an idiot. She didn't ever tell him, and he repeatedly referred to her as one of his best friends. She used the experience of a secretary who was sleeping with her boss.

She's never slept with George, they don't have that kind of relationship, and never had it. The secretary was saying "we've had a relationship for 3 years.." um, Lexi has known George all of 6 months in show time.

It may bust them up, but what it really does is prove McSteamy is right, that she just needed to come out and tell George.

George's best response would have been: "I didn't put you on my team because I think my feelings for you would be hurt by that relationship of being your boss."

I don't know, I thought that whole sequence might happened, but pretty much shows why Lexi isn't really ready for that.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I think George gave the best response because it was the honest response. I thought his response was perfect -- "I can't say anything because I'm totally caught off guard by what you've just thrown at me." He'll eventually digest things and come up with a better response, perhaps even the one you suggest. But I hope whatever he says is true to the character, not just placating.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Episodes like October 23rd are so annoying, and it's not just Grey's, but many network and cable shows.

They are completely predictable and you know how the story will end within the first 15 minutes of the show.

All the phony tension of the kidney donors, "I won't do it", "I hate you, if she's not giving her kidney, I'm not donating mine", "Where's my ten grand, I hate you".

Naturally everything is wonderful at the end, all the donor donate and everyone ends up with a kidney. Dad and son reconcile, kid cries, hubby and wife are back in love, girlfriend gets dumped......

Throw in a little heartbreak, son cries over his dad who's still dying (or maybe died, I honestly lost interest by that point). Toss in a little comedy by having Meredith drop a kidney.

And they couldn't come up with something a little more original than calling the new interns by number? It might have worked had they not lifted it straight from "House", which is still using it. Must have taken a lot of effort for the writers to come up with that idea.

gregeddie

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg

Isn't that just something they do in teaching hospitals? If they do it on House maybe it's because it's what docs do? Regarding predictable writing, I think you're right on except that shows that don't do that inevitably have terrible ratings. I think a lot of people watch precisely because of the familiarity of the story structure. I don't have the same problem with it as long as it is done well. But doing it well...that's another discussion...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That was quite an introduction to the new character Kevin McKidd plays, Dr. Hunt, by stabbing several pigs so the doctors could learn how to save them in a trauma situation!

It's quite an odd turn to see Izzy and Karev now back together. It was nice to see Karev learn from Dr. Hunt's mistake.

Torres mixed feelings about men and women was interesting to see unfold.

I guess they plan to have George and Lexie work out their relationsip.

And the Chief continues to be acting like he has been this season.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The moment with pigs was honest and real. Maybe one of the best moments of this show. I loved izzie's rejection, but I also really appreciated what he was trying to say. The basic point was: these things are real, living beings. You will get attached to them. You'll fight harder over this then you would a plastic doll, no matter how accurate the plastic doll is. You can reboot the plastic doll. Have inifinite chances. You can't do that with a pig.

That entire moment was brilliant. I also appreciated the moment where he and Christine met in the walkway and he explained to her he had been back, and was in a barrack where everyone but him died, he was the last person alive in the surgical group to leave. And the world was different for him now.

I also appreciated him getting chewed out by McSteamy and McDreamy, and rather then argue, he did the ultimate teaching hospital thing: "Ok, that's a good point. What can I do to be better?" Wow. I loved everything about that moment.

Actually, this was easily, easily, the best Grey's Anatomy from a script perspective in a VERY long time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Last nights episode was another good one. Like how the series is getting better this year.

I liked how Dr. Hunt was so angered by the silly competitive nature of the doctors that he sees over their concern of the patient themselves. Seems like a nice way to say to the audience, yes we know this looks unreal. But Kristina sort of showed they are deeper then that. Though I wasn't as impressed by that.

Izzy's mistake of stealing the heart for Denny appears will be with her forever. And I think that's true for anyone.

The business with Dr. Hahn blowing up with the Chief was interesting to see as she was totally shut down. Her position was understandable. Now the way she leaves seems to confirm a story I saw on ET.

Her story line and character are over and that was her last appearance. Apparently, Brooke Smith was either fired or they felt she wasn't working as a character. Makes some sense if they want to add Kevin McKidd to the cast and he seems to have a similar outsider view of the staff and the antics.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, there was a lot of pressure because her character was not going over with the fans, and drawing a lot of flack.. so, I think they are going to just writer her out and say she resigned over that.

I have a strong feeling that Dr. Hunt is being written as the character who represents some of the complaints from the audience. Because everytime he takes over a scene, it's a homerun. He says things about other characters that a vast majority of the people I've spoken to feel about the way the show is written.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The entire idea of turning Izzie into the Ghost Whisperer is terrible.
Though the sex scene at the beginning was interesting, and one of the better lines on regular TV I thought I'd never hear: "She's flying solo.. totally hot."

The idea of an intern led surgery.. not so good. Grey did through Yang under the bus, terrible.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This season so far has been pretty forgettable and spiralling into truly wretched writing territory. It's like there's this finite amount of common sense that's given out to the interns, and when it runs out, idiocy ensues.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Meredith told the truth. The dynamics of that scene were such that she learned something surprising (Christina knew they were doing things like this, just not to this degree), then was quickly questioned by her boss as to whether she knew about it too. She quickly responded truthfully. If Yang isn't willing to stand up for her own actions, maybe she should act differently. If you think it was OK to handle it yourself instead of reporting it, tell that to the Chief and live with the consequences. If she can't live with the consequences, maybe she should report it next time. Don't blame Meredith, who given the chance to think things through, would have certainly had Cristina's back.

I'm having a bad reaction to the Denny storyline so far.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Yeah, I guess I didn't take the scene that way. She was given new information that was a shock. I'm thinking about this. The way I saw the scene was that new information came in, she was put on the spot - and rather then say "I don't think anyone had any idea they were going to attempt something this crazy" she just said "I don't know - did you?" which was the equivelent of calling out Yang in front of the Chief. Yang was right in that there was a lot of information that Grey didn't have. As her "best friend" though, she should have been more willing to disbelieve the idea that Yang would be "in on it" instead of having to have Yang tell her outside in the hallway "of course I didn't know".

I don't know, I thought that whole scene was kind of poor.

This season is very mixed. There are some elements I really like.. others I find very dissappointing.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Not impressed. Grey's has fallen significantly and I'm not at all sure how they'll bring it back to a consistently quality tv hour.

Rogue surgeries?
and who the hell is this Sadie person? they spent EXTREMELY little time introducing her last week.
Denny is real? ... come on, what a joke.
The intern that is in love with George? ... weak.
I did love the sequence with George writing his exams though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks