What's new

Free DVD Player Software? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is there good and also free DVD player software out there? I've got the PowerDVD that came with my Dell but I have discovered that you can't capture movie frames with it. That is one item I am interested in.

Suggestions are appreciated.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I believe that you can't get free DVD player software, because it's required that manufacturers buy a license to decode the encryption.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Jeff Jacobson said:
I used to have PowerDVD on my computer. I could have sworn you could capture frames with it.
You can, but it looks like Johnny got a limited features version that came installed with his computer.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
There used to be a good one that was simple, completely free (no limitations) and played movies smoothly. I actually have a copy of it backed up somewhere. Can't remember what it was called though....(looking...)
ah! this might be it. I haven't checked this for malware yet...
AVS DVD Player | Software - Digital Digest
I remember this being really good. But that was the version from 4 years ago. Time is sometimes not kind to these freebies.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ed Moxley said:
That one gets my full endorsement. Although the last version I used had a few small bugs. But it replaces that godawful real player in a big way.
I just installed XP on a new HD yesterday and was looking for these freebies myself. Cool! :cool:
I also recommend AVS for virus protection and Zone Alarm for firewall. Oh, and spybot search&destory for those annoying little spyware/malwares. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Radioman970 said:
There used to be a good one that was simple, completely free (no limitations) and played movies smoothly. I actually have a copy of it backed up somewhere. Can't remember what it was called though....(looking...)
ah! this might be it. I haven't checked this for malware yet...
AVS DVD Player | Software - Digital Digest
I remember this being really good. But that was the version from 4 years ago. Time is sometimes not kind to these freebies.
I have a DVD drive at work and my HP computer didn't have anything to play it with so I somehow found the AVS DVD player mentioned by RM970 and used it. I don't recall if it captures frame or not. Frankly, all I was looking for was something to play a DVD I had with me.... But it's worth a look.. Checking mine now, it is v 2.4.3.128 but there may as well be newer ones out there....
Jay

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
ThomasC said:
You can, but it looks like Johnny got a limited features version that came installed with his computer.
You got it right, there is no snapshot feature. I verified that on the Dell message boards.
I've installed VLC and it works, but it's difficult to stop on a specific frame. I can't get it to go a frame at a time, backwards or forwards.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Jay H said:
I have a DVD drive at work and my HP computer didn't have anything to play it with so I somehow found the AVS DVD player mentioned by RM970 and used it. I don't recall if it captures frame or not. Frankly, all I was looking for was something to play a DVD I had with me.... But it's worth a look.. Checking mine now, it is v 2.4.3.128 but there may as well be newer ones out there....
Jay
That's the one I got too. Looks like this is the last version that is freeware. The next is shareware.
Just trying it out on a DVD....I'll get back...
I was getting jerky playback with AVS and VLS players. So I found the codec pack called K-lite. It includes a bunch of codec and the classic media player. It worked pretty good with my test using a Red Dwarf episode. There are a TON of options in that player. Anyway, the codec in that fixed the AVS player too. It had pretty good playback, but the classic media player is better.
Here's where it is: http://www.codecguide.com/about_kl.htm

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
In myself use WinDVD 9.0 and it's definitely worth the US$39 for the player--it works quite well on my home computer under Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (SP1). :emoji_thumbsup:

amidcars

Grip
Real Name
Nick Thompson
Never had things done to work with frames...i too use power DVD and got that when i purchased my lapi..

bbm123

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin Joe

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, the daily digest says there are 13 unread posts in this thread. Buy the last post prior to mine is 2009? Hmmmm. Methinks the huddler software is amiss.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
To be honest, it stopped being relevant once Windows7 shipped, because it had the DVD decoder built in. Now, Windows8 doesn't, but CODEC kits are widely available and free that function with all platforms. So, it stopped really mattering ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks