What's new

Is this IR repeater any good? (1 Viewer)

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
I've got my plasma TV hanging from the ceiling, but my HD DVR is sitting on a piece of furniture under it. I wanted to hang the DVR under the TV, but last night I found something an had an idea. I found this basic IR repeater: IR Repeater System - This compact infrared repeater systems give you remote control of an audio/video system that's hidden behind closed cabinet doors

So now instead of hanging the box under the TV, I want to mount it vertically BEHIND the TV - out of sight. I just need the repeater to get the IR signal around the TV and to the DVR.

Is that IR repeater any good? Or is there an easier and even cheaper way to do what I want?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are cheaper methods but they are not as reliable. There is nothing worse than having to press a remote button three or four times to get the response that you want.

I've never seen that model that you linked to. I've used products from Buffalo and Wired Home in the past. Both are available from Parts Express. Smart Home is also a site that carries quality IR products.

-Robert

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
Sweet jesus! The hub and emitters are cheap, but the IR receivers are pricey! Can I just build my own? I have a few lying around

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you have the knowledge then go right ahead. Document it and post in the Projects section.

-Robert

Brent_S

Second Unit
Have you checked to see if your TV has IR pass through? If it does, all you need is an IR flasher.

-Brent

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
Its an older plasma Sony with a 'Control S' input and output to interface with other Sony equipment. So, unless someone has hacked the system to work with any remote and appliance (through an emitter), then nope, no such system on my TV!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks