What's new

RUSH Snakes & Arrows Blu-ray Details (1 Viewer)

Adam_R

Second Unit
From Rush.com -

ZOË VISION/ANTHEM ENTERTAINMENT TO RELEASE RUSH DVD SNAKES & ARROWS LIVE ON NOVEMBER 25 MUSICIANSHIP HIGHLIGHTED, EXTRAS ABUNDANT

"Thanks to epic songs, fantastical lyrics and extravagant drum solos, [Rush] rocks on through the 21st century...the scope of [their] achievements is undeniable..." Rolling Stone

September 22, 2008 o Burlington, MA - Zoë Vision/Anthem Entertainment is pleased to announce the release of the Snakes & Arrows Live DVD on November 25 from the legendary rock trio RUSH. This 3 disc DVD set, also available as a Blu-ray Disc, follows their Zoë Vision DVD releases Rush-R30 (2005) and Rush in Rio (2003).

The Snakes & Arrows Live DVD (full track listing below) was filmed with 21 High Definition cameras in 16x9 widescreen format, over two nights in October 2007 at the Netherlands’ Ahoy Rotterdam arena during the renowned rock trio’s lengthy world tour. Additional SD footage was filmed in Atlanta this past July. The five month trek supporting Rush’s critically acclaimed 2007 studio release, Snakes & Arrows, which includes the Grammy® Award-nominated track, "Malignant Narcissism," topped Pollstar’s Top 100 2007 Tours list at #12.

While previous DVD releases showcase different sides of the band , this DVD offers fans a rare and close up look at the prodigious musicianship for which the band is renown. Cameras follow bassist and vocalist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart, closely, capturing not only their playing, note for note, but also the intimacy they share on stage. The diverse track list includes many new songs from Snakes & Arrows as well as old favorites like “Tom Sawyer” and “Freewill” plus an explosive rendition of "Between the Wheels."" Among the hidden gems and numerous special tour moments included as extras is the fan coveted "What’s That Smell" vignette and outtakes, a skit used to intro the second set, which capitalizes on the still emerging comedic talents of both Alex and Geddy who excel (and revel) in their roles as wild characters. Featuring collector’s quality packaging and a choice of Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound or PCM Stereo for a superior audio experience, the DVD was mixed by frequent collaborator Richard Chycki (Aerosmith, Mick Jagger). Total running time is 221 minutes.

Snakes & Arrows made a triumphant debut on the Billboard 200 upon its release May 2007, entering the chart in the #3 spot. The album’s popular success marked Rush’s highest chart debut since 1993, as well as the group’s eleventh top ten album in the U.S. Snakes & Arrows also debuted at #3 in the band’s native Canada and at #13 in the UK - the band’s highest British chart ranking in 16 years. In addition, the album premiered in the top ten in Sweden and Finland, and in the top twenty in Norway, the Netherlands, and Japan.

Since releasing their self-titled debut album in 1974, Rush has been universally regarded as one of the most inventive and compelling groups in rock, famed for virtuoso musicianship. Celebrated, critically acclaimed and respected worldwide, Rush is the most successful Canadian rock band of all time and they remain one of the biggest grossing arena rock bands ever. Their extraordinary body of work - which includes such acclaimed works as 1976’s 2112, 1981’s Moving Pictures, 1996’s Test for Echo, and 2002’s Vapor Trails - has achieved worldwide sales exceeding 35 million units.

Track Listing:
Limelight
Digital Man
Entre Nous
Mission
Freewill
The Main Monkey Business
The Larger Bowl
Secret Touch
Circumstances
Between the Wheels
Dreamline

Extras:
What’s Thats Smell (DVD Content)
2007 Tour Outtakes
What’s That Smell Outtakes
FarCry (Alternate cut featuring rear screen footage)
The Way the Wind Blows (Alternate cut featuring rear screen footage)
Red Sector A from the R30 Tour

Disk 2:
FarCry
Workin’ Them Angels
Armour and Sword
Spindrift
The Way the Wind Blows
Subdivisions
Natural Science
Witch Hunt
Malignant Narcissism - De Slagwerker
Hope
Distant Early Warning
The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
Encore:
One Little Passage
A Passage to Bangkok
YYZ

Disk 3:
Oh, Atlanta - The Authorized Bootlegs

Ghost of a Chance
Red Barchette
The Trees
2112/The Temples of Syrinx

Can I get a "hell yes!"?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
"Featuring collector’s quality packaging and a choice of Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound or PCM Stereo for a superior audio experience, the DVD was mixed by frequent collaborator Richard Chycki (Aerosmith, Mick Jagger)."

Surely the BR will get better than DD 5.1.

The show I saw in Albuquerque was amazing for its live video. Cameras up the ying-yang, close ups of the hands....it was amazing.

I look forward to this release.

Brian

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Yes, I would think it would be better than DD 5.1 also, but for concert video, I'm quite happy with PCM stereo.

Oh....and HELL YES!

Adam_R

Second Unit

You NEVER KNOW with Rush. For a band that was (is) so into technology, it seems like they often don't quite get it. The Rush in Rio non anamorphic widescreen was a prime example.

Either way, I AM DAMN PSYCHED for HD Rush. I was FRONT ROW center at Virigina Beach last year and would like to relive it.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Yes, I was very bummed with the non-anamorphic video and the terrible surround mix on the Rio DVD. The R30 set corrected that and now here we are talking about a Blu-Ray release. I'll forgive them for the first go around.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
HiDef Digest has it listed as PCM 5.1, and DD 5.1!

Way to go, Rush...give us a Hi-Def soundtrack that even early BR adopters can take advantage of! Nice! Well done! Bravo!

Brian

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FYI, Best Buy has a free download of 2112 from the last tour.

Only 128k MP3, but there are no strings attached.

Still no confirmation that there is a PCM track.

Brian

Adam_R

Second Unit
Guys, I have read multiple independent sources who have the disc in hand and have confirmed that there is a DTS-MA track. WOO HOO!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Rush Snakes and Arrows Blu Ray - AVS Forum

The last two pages of the linked thread are the best I could find. A bummer for me, as an early adopter. Why they could not just go 5.1 PCM so 100% of their fans can enjoy 100% of the sound, I don't know.

On a positive note, there is mention in the linked thread of close ups of the players hands. I had been hoping for that ever since the show I saw in Albuquerque. The live video was fantastic, and there looked to be mini-cameras everywhere.

I probably won't actually get to watch this until Christmas, so by then we will have had a month to debate its merits. But for me its live Rush in HD, so whatever its flaws, I am still going to own this one.

Brian

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks, Brian.

No "bummer," man: if indeed the disc has DTS-HD MA, think of it as the arm twist that compels you to get a Pan DMP-BD55 for onboard decoding. ;)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Grabbed this yesterday...cool disc. Definitely DTS-HD MA, 5.1/48kHz. Tough to pick out the BD from the rack of SD at BB...just a little smaller with a tiny BD logo on the bottom. I felt like my own grandmother, and certainly wasn't going to ask anyone. And no mention of DTS anywhere...except the audio menu, of course.
Pretty heavy with hall sound to me, and less instrument presence than I'd like (again, maybe it's just me), but lots of hand-shots for the guitarists out there. Alex's Les Pauls are to drool over...'specially that goldtop. :emoji_thumbsup:

Is there a better live experience than Rush doing "The Spirit of Radio"? I think not!

Indeed.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

It is entirely possible that the thought HAS crossed my mind, in that I just bought the first 2 Bond BR's during the one day Gold Box sale, and with S&A scheduled to be under the tree on 12/25!

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks