What's new

Is Dolby TrueHD and dts HD-MA possible on an Yamaha RX-V2095? (1 Viewer)

Dan Messner

Auditioning
I have a ten year old Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver. I have been reading about the soon to be released Sony BDP-S550 and it's ability to decode the new surround codecs internally. Does anyone know if the new surround modes could be transferred from the analog output of the S-550 to the analog external decoder input of the 2095 receiver, and would they playback as Dolby TrueHD and dts HD-MA 5.1 audio.

Thanks,
Dan Messner

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If the new Sony has the 5.1/7.1 analog outputs, and the Yamaha has the 5.1/7.1 analog inputs, and the Sony decodes both of those internally, then yes, you should be able to hear them by choosing the "Multi-Channel" mode, when watching the movie with either soundtrack.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I had a Yamaha DSP-A1 amp (the 2095's bigger brother) and a Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-ray player hooked up using analogue connections and both TrueHD and PCM sounded great. Your 2095 and a player like the Sony S550 (or Panasonic BD50/55) should work well together.

Adam

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Adam: I too have the Yam DSP-A1. I'm about to pull the trigger on buying the Sony BDP-S550 BR player. I'm glad I'm in good shape with the 5.1 ch inputs/outputs for both of these connecting up to each other so I can enjoy the higher codec soundtracks on BR disc. How are you liking the improved sound quality on TrueHD, DD plus, and DTS master ? Is it like night and day between the dynamics of the sound, better punch, overall clarity, etc. How would you describe the improvement in the sound you're hearing?
Was it very easy connecting the DSP-A1 up to the S550 and did you have much trouble getting the higher resolution soundtracks to come out thru the multi-channel? what input or setting are you putting the DSP-A1 on when retrieving the TRUEHD / DTSmaster soundtracks to play?
Any advice or setup tips very appreciated since you also have the same setup as I do.

Dan: How bout you? Are you enjoying the improved sound of the higher res soundtracks as well?

Thanks Guys!
TroyH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks