Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Daredevil - Director's Cut

Blu-ray Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted September 21 2008 - 11:09 AM

Blu-ray Disc Review

[/b]

The features from both previously released DVDs have made it to this Blu-ray disc (with exception to the DVD-ROM features). So for those of you trying to make room on your shelves by replacing the old DVD (or both) with the new Blu-ray disc, you’ll be happy to know you aren’t throwing away anything previous. All features are standard definition and AVC encoded.

• Audio commentary - featuring producer Avi Arad and director/screenwriter Mark Steven Johnson. The discussion is mainly about the new cut of this film with a few notes on production. Identified are the new scenes cut into the film as well as the few that were cut out, and why the decisions were made to cut in the first place.

• Fact and Fiction - simple text pop ups relating to the production of the movie as well as the original story of Daredevil (it even refers to the issue numbers!)

• Behind Hell’s Kitchen: Making Daredevil (58:51, 16:9) – this thorough, chapterless, behind the scenes feature is an in-depth look at production and includes the producers, director, choreographer and designers… There’s a lot of information here, as well as a plethora of video on the making of the film. Very interesting stuff for one of those nights when you just don’t know what to watch. You can watch this as a whole or as an “enhanced feature” – various parts of this feature will be accessible during the film. Its interesting piece of info learned is since 1997 the film has switch the hands of Fox, Disney, Sony, and back to Fox again…

• Jennifer Garner Screen Tests (2:31, 4:3) – the actress and her screen tests as Elektra.

• Featured Villian: Kingpin (2:21, 16:9) – Richard Clarke Duncan talks of his character and laughing about Ben Affleck in his devil suit.

• Daredevil: From the Comic to the Big Screen (24:50, 4:3) – hosted by Jennifer Garner, this HBO First Look tells about the film but doesn’t offer much more than what we haven’t already seen. It’s nice to have as a collector, but the feature is very scripted as Garner cannot pull off a natural feel. I almost felt as if it was geared to teenagers.

• Moving Through Space: A Day with Tom Sullivan (8:28, 16:9) – a featurette showing the day of the sight impaired consultant for the film, Tom Sullivan, who helped with Daredevil. He shows us what it’s like in his life to be blind.

• Giving the Devil his Due (15:30, 16:9) - this featurette shows some scene comparisons of the theatrical cut verses the directors cut with interview commentary by producers Avi Arad and Gary Foster (Foster believing the theatrical cut is the better of the two – I disagree completely – but he has to justify his job, right?) as well as Mark Steven Johnson.

• Multi-Angle Dailies (3:18, 4:3) – six in total, there are two shots to view with the third being both on screen at the same time. You must use the multi-angle function for this one and you can watch each one individually or play all.

• Trailers (SD, 4:3) - you can view the teaser and trailer A and B.

• Music Videos (4:3) - Won't Back Down" by Fuel, "For You" by the Calling, "Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence. They all look like crap and sound like crap. Why can’t music videos ever be of good quality?

• Still Galleries - submenu items are storyboards, costumes, set design, production stills, and props.

• The Comic Book - included are "Men Without Fear: Creating Daredevil" documentary, Shadow World Tour": an in-depth look at "Daredevil's sight", and Modeling Sheets featuring an artist’s rendition of characters with their stats.

IN THE END...

Daredevil: The Director’s Cut is a better movie. In fact, I would argue that it is a different movie. What the theatrical release lacked, this DVD Director’s Cut makes up for: there is nothing that beats a good story even if it is an action flick. Screw the under 100 minute timeframe producers want. Have they not noticed the trend that these films are always revisited with director’s cuts or remain unsalvageable because the original vision was never filmed? I’m preaching to the choir… At least the presentation of the disc is top-notch. The video is very good and the audio is a knock-out. I just hope one day that the practise of repurposing theatrical soundtracks will become common. It happened with Elektra: The Director’s Cut, why couldn’t the same have been done with Daredevil? (I’m not 100% sure that it hasn’t, but if it has it is still way to aggressive!) It’s still great home theatre to chew on. Some may say “Why not the theatrical cut too with seamless branching?” My answer is: why bother? This is the better version.

Michael Osadciw
    September 21, 2008.

Review System

• Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
    Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
    HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#2 of 15 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,032 posts
    • LocationMichigan

Posted September 21 2008 - 11:11 AM

There you go Michael, your review is much better in this area of the forum.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted September 21 2008 - 11:14 AM

lol...I was so eager to post I didn't know I was in the wrong forum. ha ha!

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
    Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
    HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted September 21 2008 - 12:39 PM

An excellent review for a far superior version of this film. Definitely one of the better superhero films out there IMHO. I will definitely be picking this one up to replace the DVD that I currently have.
    Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 21 2008 - 01:12 PM

A far superior version of the film. Nice to see this being done right, a must buy for myself.
    You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,575 posts
    • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 21 2008 - 03:38 PM

I really liked the film, too, especially the Director's Cut. But I was alone among my friends, most of whom found it ho-hum to unenjoyable.

Thanks for the extensive review, Mike.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted September 21 2008 - 11:39 PM

I was a bit underwhelmed with the theatrical cut but I never got a chance to see the DC. I wanted to but netflix didn't carry it.

Fox's higher than average catalog pricing might prevent a "near-sighted buy" from me unless I can find a good deal. Otherwise I'll probably rent this if I can.
    Death before Streaming!

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 01:33 AM

Thanks for the review! A definite buy for me, but I gotta know - that stupid box on the front cover, pushing Jon Favreau - is it a sticker, or actually printed onto the artwork?

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 06:06 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jim_K
    Fox's higher than average catalog pricing might prevent a "near-sighted buy" from me
    Awe man. You should have said "blind buy" for the ultimate pun.Posted Image
    " I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 11:12 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troy evans
    Awe man. You should have said "blind buy" for the ultimate pun.Posted Image

Posted Image
    Death before Streaming!

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted September 28 2008 - 05:11 PM

Never saw the DC version....I eagerly await Tuesday.

Nice review.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   John Troutman

John Troutman

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 08:20 AM

The DC is the only copy worth watching. If you disliked the theatrical cut, you owe it to yourself to watch this version. It's a night and day comparison. If you couldn't tell, I LOVE the DDPosted ImageC. Posted Image I can't wait to watch this puppy in HD.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Derek Faber

Derek Faber

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted October 01 2008 - 12:27 PM

So underrated. So much better than most of the comic book films coming from Marvel lately. Better than any Spiderman, Hulk and Iron Man. IMO, this is their best film to date.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
    • LocationMadison, WI

Posted October 01 2008 - 01:49 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Derek Faber
    So underrated. So much better than most of the comic book films coming from Marvel lately. Better than any Spiderman, Hulk and Iron Man. IMO, this is their best film to date.
    Better than Spider-Man 3 and Hulk, I'll grant you that. But this film isn't without problems. The street fight in the playground, for instance. It is illogical. Similarly, Murdoch's legal profession is unclear. He at once seems to be a prosecutor and defense attorney. Is this criminal court, or civil? That all said, I really like the film. But I don't know that I can put it above Iron Man, the first two Spider-Man films, or the first two X-Men installments.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Peter Raber

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted October 02 2008 - 07:21 AM

You guys actually make me want to give the DC a try. I never saw this in the movies, but as DD is one of my favorite comic book characters I blind bought the original when it was released, and man I thought it was BAD! As bad as the Hulk was. So when this was first released as a DC I said no way, but based on the comments I read here I will give the Blu-ray a try.

I won't buy it unless it goes down to $19.95, but if it doesn't soon then I'll rent it for sure.

Forum Nav Content I Follow