Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2628 replies to this topic

#41 of 2629 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V
Which 20 Bond's got released, Zack? Certainly not this year with seven making it out on BD.

7 now. Ask again in one years time... Posted Image
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#42 of 2629 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britton
I am wondering about the status of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. If I'm correct, the CGI effects for the Director's Edition were rendered in 480p. Any word on whether or not it's being redone in high def?

You are correct and we don't know yet. Darren Dochterman who did the new FX (and posts on Trekmovie.com) hasn't said anything new lately.

#43 of 2629 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
The Digital Bits reports that the Star Trek films could be out in 2009, along with several other titles being prepared.

Which films and whether all 10 will be out, is not clear. It is likely the JJ Abrams Star Trek will be out on BD and SD.

A poster on the Trekmovie.com website comments that he wrote to Lowry Digital and got a reply back that they have done work on Treks 4 through 8. Here's a quote:

As for TOS or the other Star Trek series, those are under the control of CBS Home Entertainment. The 3 seasons of Star Trek TOS should be a no brainer and hopefully that will be out in 2009 as well.

TOS and the Original crew movies (I - VI) are pretty much all I want on Blu-ray. I'd also pick up First Contact but that's it for the next gen stuff.

But it figures that no works been done on TMP, Khan and Search for Spock since those are the three I want most. Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#44 of 2629 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted November 05 2008 - 12:19 AM

Thats the way i feel too Jim. My wants and yours are the same. But you know Paramount wont miss a trick, they will do the same for BD as DVD. We will get Nemesis first, and Trek II last. They always sell you worst to best. Posted Image

#45 of 2629 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 12:25 AM

They can try to sell me Nemesis and the other crappy next gen movies Rick, but I'm not going to bite. Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#46 of 2629 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,453 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 03:48 AM

For grins, I checked Daren Dochterman's site in case he might have any updates. He has a forum and for Star Trek The Motion Picture, he's done a FAQ style post to answer all the common questions:

Yes, the work is ready to go for a Hi Def transfer.
No, he (and I assume a team) has not rendered anything in Hi Def yet.
Yes, he'd like to do the work on the Hi Def transfer.
No, he has not been asked yet to do it, or heard from the studio yet.

That post is almost a year old. I hope there is news and I don't doubt it will happen. Seems the love for Star Trek The Motion Picture grows more and more amongst the fan base. Posted Image And I'm sure the studio knows it.

#47 of 2629 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
They always sell you worst to best. Posted Image

While I would normally agree with you, it would appear that we have the advantage of a new Star Trek movie featuring the original crew this time around. That's the only crew I have any interest in, but, watch, Paramount will still only release the odd numbered Star Treks on BD first. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#48 of 2629 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted November 05 2008 - 05:54 AM

Quote:
I am wondering about the status of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. If I'm correct, the CGI effects for the Director's Edition were rendered in 480p.
Really?!!!! Posted Image
Don't they render better even for TV programs?!!

#49 of 2629 OFFLINE   Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 08:45 AM

Well, TDB has an update on their rumor mill The Digital Bits Rumor Mill - Current Posts

Looks like we'll just be getting the theatrical cut of TMP...

#50 of 2629 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,798 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 10 2008 - 08:49 AM

Prolly just an oversight on Bill's part, but he didn't mention ST VI. As long as Paramount releases them in the box AND separate, I have zero problem with this.

#51 of 2629 OFFLINE   Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 08:50 AM

I'm just glad that there will be a separate box set for the original crew films.

#52 of 2629 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,453 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 09:01 AM

What! Theatrical cut of Star Trek The Motion Picture is said to be released, not the Robert Wise rework done in 2001.

This is good news to promote the JJ Abrams film release, so that might mean release dates near May? And good for those who wanted to have the theatrical cut in addition to the Director Cut. I see double dips though for at least TMP.

#53 of 2629 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 09:09 AM

I can't believe they won't spend a little coin and get the director's cut of TMP up to HD speed. a shame.

#54 of 2629 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,453 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 09:14 AM

Perhaps the time needed to get the Directors Cut with new CGI of TMP redone in HD will be longer then they have before May.

#55 of 2629 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,798 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 10 2008 - 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
Perhaps the time needed to get the Directors Cut with new CGI of TMP redone in HD will be longer then they have before May.

That's my thought as well, Nelson. We don't know when this project started or how long it would take to re-render the effects. So Paramount decides to put the theatrical cut out there (no doubt with a "never on disc" marketing campaign) in order to get the DE ready to go for Christmas to tie in with the release of the new movie on disc.

I won't mind double dipping at all.

#56 of 2629 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 09:52 AM

The new effects having been rendered in SD notwithstanding, I've always assumed that the eventual release of the director's cut on Blu-ray was a given, and have been concerned that the theatrical version would never be released. It was never released on DVD, was it? I haven't even seen the movie, so I don't prefer one cut over the other, but it's important to me that a DVD or Blu-ray release of a movie that has multiple versions actually includes the multiple versions, or at least that they're available, even if it's on separate releases. So I'm happy to see the theatrical cut of Star Trek being released on Blu-ray. I'd prefer it included the director's cut as well, but I'm still confident that we'll see the director's cut released eventually. Now I know that the theatrical version will be available as well, which I certainly wouldn't have taken for granted.

#57 of 2629 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 09:58 AM

My first reaction was, "I don't like it. I don't like it one bit." On the other hand, it would be nice to have the original theatrical version on HD for posterity and if Paramount wants to take their time to redo the new FX, then I'm all for that.

#58 of 2629 OFFLINE   Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 11:31 AM

My wish would have been for TMP to be given the Blade Runner treatment as others have brought up on this thread, but I am glad that the theatrical release will be available because I prefer the sound effects of the original as opposed to the redone ones for the DE.

#59 of 2629 OFFLINE   JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
I can't believe they won't spend a little coin and get the director's cut of TMP up to HD speed. a shame.

C'mon Dave, this is Paramount we're talking about... the same penny-pinching company that created the effects in SD in the first place!

#60 of 2629 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,453 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 12:17 PM

Trekmovie.com reports and clarifies the blu-ray news. All 6 Star Trek movies will be out in a box set in time for the JJ Abrams film. New masters for video and sound. Of course, this is still not officially confirmed, but sounds pretty likely.

Still no word which cut of Star Trek 6 will be remastered, theatrical or the home video version, or the last Directors Cut.

Back to Blu-ray

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow