Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2651 replies to this topic

#2161 of 2652 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,780 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted January 01 2014 - 11:36 AM

Just bought the updated version. Will give my current one to my brother who will love it. Thanks for the info guys. :)
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#2162 of 2652 OFFLINE   Ted Van Duyn

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 02:06 PM

I think the big problem for DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise is that they created giant multi-season arcs to keep the viewership going that make it difficult to syndicate now where the episodes might be shown in any order.  TOS and most TNG episodes are quite standalone.

It's funny that you see the multi-season arcs as a problem when I look at those as one of the definitive elements that got me so invested in the series to begin with.

When it comes to TOS and TNG making a majority of their episodes standalone stories, you kind of give your story a predictable element in that if none of these stories are supposed to matter, nothing will ever happen to these characters and everything will be played safe. While there are some moments where previous episodes are referenced and followed up on, they were few and far in-between. 

When you have a show like DS9 where you have a cast of characters who are stuck in one place, it opens the doors for more character exploration and development since everything you do will matter in the long run. Plus it's a series that Star Trek desperately needed in order to flesh out it's own universe by having actual aliens be the main characters and letting the universe of Star Trek itself be more fleshed out. I know a lot of fans prefer stories where Humanity is supposed to be represented as the glorified perfect race who have solved all of their problems. It's a darn shame that no one realized that when you actually try to convey how awesome you are, all you wind up doing is sounding smug, arrogant and selfish, and that is Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG in a nutshell.

#2163 of 2652 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 342 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska

Posted January 01 2014 - 08:39 PM

WHAT?  So the hardcover version of the Cushman book I bought only two months ago from Amazon has already been revised and expanded?  Good grief.  As much as I love it, I'm definitely going to hesitate buying the remaining volumes if they are going to issue better versions just a couple of months later.  Sorry, but I'm feeling a bit ripped-off now.

#2164 of 2652 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,601 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 10:30 PM

POPULAR

Mark, you are not the only one feeling that way. If you care to, the These Are The Voyages Facebook page has two very good posts that give the reasons.In short, Cushman had to take a leave for medical treatment, cancer. He trusted the publisher to properly proof the book, plus he was rushed by them to get the book to publish and didn't include materials he wanted to include, plus he disliked the cover design. And in response to a lot of feedback, he thought swift action to correct the mistakes would please the fans. Instead, a lot of hate came out of this. I think the Facebook page will answer all the questions.

#2165 of 2652 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,255 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 09:44 AM

Just to make sure: I just got "Star Trek: Stardate Collection" set from Amazon (seems to OOP now?). Can I now sell "Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection" set?

#2166 of 2652 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,103 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 02 2014 - 09:57 AM

Aren't these the same transfers?

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#2167 of 2652 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 11:11 AM

Mark, you are not the only one feeling that way. If you care to, the These Are The Voyages Facebook page has two very good posts that give the reasons.In short, Cushman had to take a leave for medical treatment, cancer. He trusted the publisher to properly proof the book, plus he was rushed by them to get the book to publish and didn't include materials he wanted to include, plus he disliked the cover design. And in response to a lot of feedback, he thought swift action to correct the mistakes would please the fans. Instead, a lot of hate came out of this.I think the Facebook page will answer all the questions.

Nelson, thanks for pointing me to the Facebook page.  I was unaware of the details behind the updated edition.  I have sent an email to the publisher.  I hope they are offering a favorable solution to the situation.  It IS a great book -- it's too bad something like this has happened to distract from that.

#2168 of 2652 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,115 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 07:03 PM

Mark, you are not the only one feeling that way. If you care to, the These Are The Voyages Facebook page has two very good posts that give the reasons.In short, Cushman had to take a leave for medical treatment, cancer. He trusted the publisher to properly proof the book, plus he was rushed by them to get the book to publish and didn't include materials he wanted to include, plus he disliked the cover design. And in response to a lot of feedback, he thought swift action to correct the mistakes would please the fans. Instead, a lot of hate came out of this.I think the Facebook page will answer all the questions.

Thanks for the update on the book. I was hoping to order it soon, but held off. Good thing I did!

Is the updated version available now on Amazon as well?

#2169 of 2652 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,601 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 09:31 PM

If you want an updated copy, it's probably best to order it from JacobsBrown directly. I didn't see it on Amazon.

#2170 of 2652 OFFLINE   Mark_TB

Mark_TB

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted January 02 2014 - 10:47 PM

The new edition is available from Amazon.  They have both the Kindle and paperback edition, as well as fulfilling the hardcover orders for publisher Jacobs Brown.  Just make sure you order the 2nd edition.  Also, for some odd reason, the paperback is $32.47, while the hardcover is only $24.95.

#2171 of 2652 OFFLINE   Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 08:34 PM

Well as of 5/9/2014 Amazon is listing Star Treks 2, 4 and 6 for a new release. There are no particulars listed, but I would be %99.9 sure this is just a repressing of the existing cuts.

But why?

Anybody know anything about this?

#2172 of 2652 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,461 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 10 2014 - 04:10 AM

Well as of 5/9/2014 Amazon is listing Star Treks 2, 4 and 6 for a new release. There are no particulars listed, but I would be %99.9 sure this is just a repressing of the existing cuts.

But why?

Anybody know anything about this?

Were the Star Trek movies included as part of the Paramount/Warners distribution deal? If they were, then I'd say that this a re-release from Warners. The only difference I've noticed between a Paramount 'original' disc and a Warners re-release is that there's Warner logos on the packaging and disc.

If it had anything new on it, there'd have been some kind of announcement so, as you said, it's the same disc.

#2173 of 2652 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,820 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 04:46 AM

Were the Star Trek movies included as part of the Paramount/Warners distribution deal? If they were, then I'd say that this a re-release from Warners. The only difference I've noticed between a Paramount 'original' disc and a Warners re-release is that there's Warner logos on the packaging and disc.If it had anything new on it, there'd have been some kind of announcement so, as you said, it's the same disc.

The major franchises (Star Trek, Transformers, etc.) were excluded, and you are right, if there was anything new about them we would have seen some sort of an announcement.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#2174 of 2652 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,877 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted May 10 2014 - 10:16 PM

I swear The Digital Bits had something on this not too long ago, but I can't find it. IIRC, they're simply reissues.

#2175 of 2652 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,115 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 02:37 PM

Still hoping for the director's cuts of The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country in 2016 with a new Star Trek film too.

#2176 of 2652 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,601 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 03:18 PM

Yes, I've been hoping the same for TMP as you know. :). But I wish it was sooner, a lot sooner.

#2177 of 2652 OFFLINE   Camper

Camper

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 06:33 PM

It's kind of strange to say, but..............

if there is going to be a "Director's Editions" release to coincide with a presumed 2016 new movie---they'd need to start the ball rolling soon.

They would need to find all the film elements for Khan and Country that comprise the added scenes.

They'd have to revisit the FX elements for TMP and get them to 1080p.

They need to find any deleted scenes from all 6 movies that are out there.

(Hint: hey Paramount, the rough cut of Khan is safe and sound at the UCLA film school. You know where you donated it all those years ago. I've seen it---it has all the deleted scenes from the first 75% of the movie. Perhaps you could ask them to let you make a copy!)

They'd have to record any new features or new commentary by surviving cast and crew--Takei, Koenig, Nichols, Judson Scott, Chris Lloyd, Alley, Dorn, Warner, Luckinbill etc.

They'd have to revisit the film elements of 1 and 3-6 and get clean transfers without near as much DNR.

They'd have to find the correct color timing balance for Khan so it isn't so blue.

They'd have to find any more promotional material---trailers and teasers and TV spots.

So if they wanted to do it right, they would be compelled to start soon.

But I am so desperate for the Director's cuts--I'd buy the movies with the added scenes for Khan and Country as upscaled.

It's only 3 minutes and 30 seconds for each.

So perhaps in the next 6-8 months Bill Hunt may get a scoop. My guess would be that the first hint and the first thing that need to be done are the FX shots from TMP. If they wanted to do the project---that would be the starting place.

Why don't they want my money? I would pay $125 for such a set---NOT $125 MSRP---I would actually pay that much or even more.

it's my holy grail and the last catalog titles missing from my Blu-ray collection (I don't own the current set or will I ever.)

I am resigned that it will never happen.

#2178 of 2652 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,115 posts

Posted May 16 2014 - 05:45 PM

It's kind of strange to say, but..............

if there is going to be a "Director's Editions" release to coincide with a presumed 2016 new movie---they'd need to start the ball rolling soon.

They would need to find all the film elements for Khan and Country that comprise the added scenes.

They'd have to revisit the FX elements for TMP and get them to 1080p.

They need to find any deleted scenes from all 6 movies that are out there.

(Hint: hey Paramount, the rough cut of Khan is safe and sound at the UCLA film school. You know where you donated it all those years ago. I've seen it---it has all the deleted scenes from the first 75% of the movie. Perhaps you could ask them to let you make a copy!)

They'd have to record any new features or new commentary by surviving cast and crew--Takei, Koenig, Nichols, Judson Scott, Chris Lloyd, Alley, Dorn, Warner, Luckinbill etc.

They'd have to revisit the film elements of 1 and 3-6 and get clean transfers without near as much DNR.

They'd have to find the correct color timing balance for Khan so it isn't so blue.

They'd have to find any more promotional material---trailers and teasers and TV spots.

So if they wanted to do it right, they would be compelled to start soon.

But I am so desperate for the Director's cuts--I'd buy the movies with the added scenes for Khan and Country as upscaled.

It's only 3 minutes and 30 seconds for each.

So perhaps in the next 6-8 months Bill Hunt may get a scoop. My guess would be that the first hint and the first thing that need to be done are the FX shots from TMP. If they wanted to do the project---that would be the starting place.

Why don't they want my money? I would pay $125 for such a set---NOT $125 MSRP---I would actually pay that much or even more.

it's my holy grail and the last catalog titles missing from my Blu-ray collection (I don't own the current set or will I ever.)

I am resigned that it will never happen.

Great post! I think 2016 still seems like the logical release date for a new set.

Hopefully Paramount puts in a lot of effort with all of the TOS films this time too.

#2179 of 2652 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,601 posts

Posted May 16 2014 - 10:50 PM

I wish it was sooner.

#2180 of 2652 OFFLINE   Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted May 17 2014 - 01:11 AM

Wonder why they're reissuing II, IV and VI (and the 2009 film) on Blu, but not III, V or TMP at this time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users