Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Wish me luck

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted September 21 2008 - 03:33 AM

Got a lead a good deal, watch this space!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,609 posts

Posted September 21 2008 - 08:41 PM

Oh man, I'm on the edge of my seat on this one.

Hurry back, will yuh?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 01:18 AM

Another hour or so and I'll know for sure =)

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted September 22 2008 - 02:17 AM

Wonder what this is all about !!
"IF the Facts don't Fit the Theory Change the Facts"    Albert Einstein

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,760 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 02:31 AM

This is gonna be either really cool...or really illegal! Posted Image Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 02:42 AM

Well I just picked up my new toy.

20" iMac
2.4Ghz core2 Duo
2GB Ram
320GB hard disk
Bluetooth/superdrive/steel keyboard/mighty mouse
Upgraded HD2600 graphics (Not sure if its a PRO or not, gotta figure out how to check)

Sealed copy of .Mac
Sealed copy of Apple Care
ProCare (!!!!) coverage (gotta figure out how to transfer that)

For $600. !!!

Only downside is it's covered in fingerprints. Oh and it has ALL of the previous owners data still on it, plus some hinky stuff like Limewire and Adium. I'm sure if I wanted to be a creep I could go through all of that, but my plan is to take it to the Apple Store, show em the ProCare membership, have em transfer ownership and install the latest OS, Drivers and iLife, which the included paperwork seems to say they will do, dunno since I never had AppleCare before let alone ProCare.

Should be a fun week!

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,760 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 03:29 AM

Congratulations on the steal! I knew it would be illegal! Posted Image

Seriously, wipe it out. Have em completely wipe it out. Low-level format of the HD if possible. Just to be sure the previous owner didn't (unwittingly or wittingly) leave anything problematic on the computer.

But otherwise, have a great time with your new baby!

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 04:08 AM

Thanks Carlo, I'm definitely going to have em blast it from space =)

Just spoke to the local Apple store, they think the Procare is expired so I'm going to sign up for a regular genius bar visit and talk to em about buying a Procare while I'm there and if it seems worth it will have em clean it all up rather than just reformatting myself. Will bring my lappy with me and have em clean that while they are at it =)

My only concern is whether I will make this my photo editing workstation or not. 320GB will hardly cover my existing iTunes library let alone all of my Canon and Nikon Raw files, so I'd have to go firewire external with a big disk and another for backups... The iMac only has one internal drive bay and my understanding is that it is not user replaceable without major overhaul. So I'll probably have to use twin external disks, one (probably Firewire 800) for photo use and one USB 2.0 drive just for backups, which I already have.

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,760 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 04:38 AM

Sam, if you were able to get the OSX disc, I think it may be okay just to reformat/reinstall using that.

And as someone with several external HDs, trust me when I say to stick with Firewire 800 for all of your external needs. I know the theoretical limits of Firewire and USB2 are very close, but in practice I find that Firewire 800 is considerably faster in transferring files while using less computer/processor resources. If I were you I'd just buy a couple of Firewire external HDs and daisy-chain them. Leave your USB ports for mice, keyboards, other non-speed-required accessories. You mention you have a huge iTunes Library and shoot RAW, you'll want the Firewire speed for those files (while my iTunes is huge in terms of songs, I compress using AAC so it's only about 60GB) but I too shoot in RAW and after buying my Firewire HDs I'm never going back to USB2.

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 04:55 AM

I have the latest OSX disk already since I upgraded my laptop on the day the new one came out, but I guess I'm weighing whether the $99 would be a good investment to get the cleanup it probably really needs but I don't know the limits of what their 'update your apple software' are. Would they install a newer OS version or just download the latest patches etc... It currently has 10.4.10 on it.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,514 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted September 22 2008 - 06:04 AM

Congrats, Sam, on a good deal.

You may want to consider the new Firewire 800 Drobo for your external storage needs. A higher cost initially, but easily expandable (to 16 TB eventually) and your data is protected automatically. I'm about to get one myself for my iMac, to store my growing media libraries.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,760 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
I have the latest OSX disk already since I upgraded my laptop on the day the new one came out, but I guess I'm weighing whether the $99 would be a good investment to get the cleanup it probably really needs but I don't know the limits of what their 'update your apple software' are. Would they install a newer OS version or just download the latest patches etc... It currently has 10.4.10 on it.
Sorry, I have no idea if they'd drop the latest OSX version on it, I'm not sure what ProCare does/doesn't cover. I'm going to guess it doesn't cover the latest version of OSX because that would be lost revenue for them.

I like Time Machine and some of their other features enough on Leopard that, personally, I would probably buy the newest OSX for any Mac I bought. Others may disagree as Leopard is really evolutionary and not revolutionary in comparison to Tiger.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 10:14 AM

OK, you guys with iMacs do you leave em on all day long in sleep mode or do you shut em down while you are away? With my monstrously noisy PCs its always shut em off and my macbook sleeps while on travel but shut down while not in use...

I didnt think I'd like the steel keyboard but it's growing on me, fast! And I'm still dorking around with a machine I knwo I'm gonna format =)

I really really really don't like the mighty mouse, $9 logitech with scroll wheel will fix that fast tho.

Do you guys have any good mac screensaver links? I only saw one (in french!) in the recommended apps...

Anyone tried using a new boxed copy of .Mac since that's migrated over?

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 11:37 AM

Sam, I would just put it to sleep unless you will be away for more than a day.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Joe Casey

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 11:42 AM

I have two iMacs that I leave on 24/7.
Q

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 02:51 PM

Ours in on 24/7 with it set to auto sleep during the wee hours of the night.

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts

Posted September 22 2008 - 03:49 PM

Nuking it from orbit as we speak. I will get some better speakers, a better mouse and a 750gb/1tb external disk tomorrow.

Are the expose keys different on an iMac than they are on a Macbook?
Is there a key to power on the iMac from the keyboard? I know older desktops had that.

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 03:28 AM

Sam, configure Exposé from the System Preferences panel.

I don't think Macs have had a keyboard power key for some time. My 7200, which I bought 14 years ago, had one, but nothing since.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 03:56 AM

OK, will do that. Before I reset it the prefs panel had the defaults but when I used em all it would do is crank the sound up instead of flashing the widgets.

Everything seems to work perfectly. Only hitch is the wheel in the mighty mouse won't scroll down but it will scroll up, weird! But I'm replacing that today anyway. Was worried I'd find some dead pixels or the drive wouldnt work, but all good so far.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,097 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 07:08 AM

Craig, I'd love a Drobo but that's just a bit out of my price range at the moment, I'm thinking of something like this:
Amazon.com: LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ 301199U 1 TB USB 2.0/FireWire400/FireWire800 RAID System: Electronics

I've already got a few USB 2.0 backup drives. I really can't wait for BD media to come down in price so I can move to them for a double / offsite backup...