Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Universal fire - Decca material lost?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 ONLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,373 posts

Posted September 20 2008 - 05:21 AM

From the Bing Crosby Internet Museum message board this week:
If this is true, and Universal publically has denied anything was lost despite persistent reports to the contrary, this is a tragic loss of an important piece of American cultural history.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   MielR

MielR

Advanced Member

• 990 posts

Posted September 20 2008 - 08:25 AM

I don't even want to think about what they're not telling the public about what may have been lost. It will be years before we know the full extent of the loss....if ever.
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 05:39 PM

Just out of curiosity....what is the vault of a record company made of? Given the cultural and monetary value of what's being protected, I'd imagine there's some sophisticated fire protection system build for the vault....right? I sure hope so. The vault for Hong Kong Universal Music was almost completely destroyed that the footage of the huge fire is regularly shown on American TV in one of those "Most Shocking" reality TV shows.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 12:13 AM

I recall reading somewhere that the Decca recording weren't owned by Universal, but that they had rented the space to the company who owned them. Does anybody know if this is true? If that is so, that could give some credibility to Universal saying "We didn't lose anything!" This is truly sad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users