What's new

FALCON CREST Gets Tied Up In KNOTS (1 Viewer)

Tom_Tagliente19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Tagliente
For those of you who are wondering about the title of this post, the release of FALCON CREST is contingent in the success of KNOTS LANDING, which is being given a second chance for its fans who begged for their show to be given a second shot.

FALCON CREST was corked by CBS in 1990 after 9 vintages were released to the public and in that time, the wine has aged well. Now, it's time to uncork FALCON CREST and share it with everyone who loved it in its day, as well as for a new generation of fans who fell in love with it on SOAPNET.

The series is being considered by Warner Bros. for a first season DVD release, based on how the next set of KNOTS LANDING does in sales. DALLAS is a collossal success on DVD. Hopefully now that Donna Mills will appear in season two of KNOTS LANDING, the sales will become stronger and FALCON CREST will get its day on DVD very, very soon.

Here's hoping!

KNOTS LANDING fans, please help FALCON CREST's fans out and buy future sets of KNOTS LANDING. You asked for it and WB is giving it to you finally. Don't let them (or us FALCON CREST fans) down. FALCON CREST depends on you.

Thank you for your time. I'm happy to see they are giving KNOTS LANDING a second chance for you. Here's hoping FALCON CREST fans get a first chance for our favorite, too.

DALLAS Guy

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Why has WHV never put the first episode of KNOTS LANDING S1 as an extra on the DALLAS DVDs so as to introduce KNOTS to those DALLAS fans who have never watched it? Universal put an episode of KNIGHT RIDER as an extra on THE A-TEAM DVDs. I'm a DALLAS fan who has bought all 9 DALLAS DVD seasons so far and will buy all remaining 5 seasons but I didn't buy the first season of KNOTS LANDING as I can't remember much about it all those years ago.

If WHV puts the first season of FALCON CREST on DVD, then I think they should put the first episode of S1 of FALCON CREST as an extra on the DALLAS and KNOTS LANDING DVDs to generate interest in FC for those who have not watched it or remember much about it.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
The reasoning on this is as asinine as it gets. I loved Knots but never watched FC. I'm sure there are many others who loved FC and couldn't care less about Knots. The two are as different as night and day. Just because they're both considered "soaps" it doesn't mean they had the same audience.

Today's execs really ARE clueless!!!

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Warner is especially idiotic in that area. Last year, someone asked about the next DALLAS release, and they replied that the final season of THE OC was getting released two weeks after the chat. Seriously? What do DALLAS and THE OC have in common except the fact that Kelly Rowan had a bit part on DALLAS when she was starting out as an actress?

As a KNOTS LANDING fan, I have absolutely no interest in any of the three other big soaps of the 80s. I didn't like what I saw of DALLAS and I'm not interested in the slightest by either DYNASTY or FALCON CREST, so I think they are being very unfair to the FALCON CREST fans. You guys don't even have anything solid to rely on, they just say "we may consider it, if KNOTS LANDING does well". Believe me, it's not a matter of us KL fans not eager to help out. We want our show released in its entirety. Every KL fan I know HAS bought Season 1 and WILL buy Season 2 during release week. But Warner simply CAN'T expect it to sell as well as DALLAS. KL has never had and will never have the same iconic status and worldwide notoriety. It saddens me a great deal, but we cannot ignore the fact that while pretty much everyone in Western civilization has heard of DALLAS, most people give you a blank stare when you mention KNOTS LANDING.

I also loathe the way they made it clear that releasing KNOTS LANDING Season 2 was throwing us a bone to shut us up once and for all, and call me a cynic if you must, but I also think their "the future is in your hands" comment can be translated as "we won't make any effort to promote it better than we did for the first season, so make sure you buy several copies if you want more released".

Perhaps you FALCON CREST fans out there could help us out in buying KL Season 2 just to boost the sales, then either get rid of it on eBay or keep it if you happen to like it. It's clear to me that it's in both communities' best interest to stand united.

Tom_Tagliente19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Tagliente
Can the moderators offer their input as to why Warner Bros. may be doing this with FALCON CREST and KNOTS LANDING. The two shows are nothing like each other. It doesn't seem fair to FALCON CREST fans. Does this mean FALCON CREST fans must buy Season 2 of KNOTS LANDING to get our show on DVD?

Elena S

Supporting Actor
It's kind of like saying if "Leave it To Beaver" does well, we'll release "Dennis the Menace." In other words, there's no logic to it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have to agree with the sentiments about FC vs knots landing. I am a fan of FC, but never watched knots landing. there is something seriously wrong here. the success of knots landing is not going to work for FC.

Jacob

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'm really, really not sure that they meant what it sounds like they said about FC in that chat.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

I sure hope not or we mine aswell write off FC ever coming out. As i said in the other thread FC appeals to the Dallas fans alot more then the Knots fans. Look at how well Dallas is doing, look at the fans that you carried all along here. After you finish up releasing this show keep em going with FC. A creative way of doing so include a FC episode with each subsequent release of Dallas until the end. Build up the momentum in a way where you remind everyone of FC. So everyone is well aware and craving for that first season release + the vintage years.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

It was such a stupid-sounding statement...as if Falcon Crest can't happen unless Knot's sells. How stupid. Like saying there'll be no more Bewitched unless What's Happening is a best-seller. I don't think they really meant it. They're probably just trying to pimp more sales of Knot's. Well--if they'd done the damn thing right in the first place--by combining seasons 1 & 2 in the first release--then it would've sold better and they'd have nothing to bitch about now. And neither would we!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I'm sorry, you won't want to hear this, but my assessment is that they knew exactly what they were saying, and meant every word of it. This is actually a rather regular kind of situation at many studios (and actually, Warner is usually quite less along this kind of path than many of the others).

The source of it seems to be the retailers, who demand convincing that they should stock a title by finding out how much a "similar" (but not really) title sold. Here's a real-life example a retailer contact told me: their studio decided whether to stock BCI's upcoming Jason of Star Command/Space Academy/Ark II combo pack by first finding out what sales were like for Space: 1999. Uh, whatever. Seems like that would be a hard compare, considering how "serious sci-fi" the latter is, and how "Saturday morning" the other three are! But that's what the retailer did. And BCI didn't even release Space: 1999; A&E did.

Anyway, everybody here in this thread is making some really, truly passionate and heart-felt statements about how much they love FC, and how they don't want its success or failure on DVD tied up in the success or failure of another show's DVD releases...especially one that's already kinda-sorta failed before, and is already on its second chance. That's all well and good, but I'm going to regretfully let you know that these are not really the sort of arguments, in my experience, which is likely to convince the studio to use different reasoning.

I (and Gord as well I'm sure) will be happy to help point out to the studio any arguments that would be convincing. But it would have to be the sort of reasoning that the retailers will buy into, also, because it's useless for the studio to produce packages that the stores don't want to stock. And with all the cramped shelf space in the TV-DVD sections these days, it's getting more and more difficult to convince the retail chains to pick up titles!

I know this type of post quite possibly upsets some of you, because you really don't want it to be true. I *am* trying to help here, though!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Dave: We may not want to hear what you are saying. But i appreciate you laying it out there for us. It does however seem strange that the stores would prefer to compare things to titles that are similar in being a soap only, when they have a title selling so well like Dallas that is very similar. FC was a show many Dallas fans watched to boot since it was on right after. But i guess there is nothing to do. Ah well FC and Eight is Enough will never be in my collection. I am now officially giving up on either.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Ummm...but KL and FC are not at all alike. Even if they were both considered "soaps," that has nothing to do with how one or the other sells. Like the previous poster pointed out, "Bewitched" and "What's Happening" were both sitcoms, but with very different followings.

Each soap has a different flavor which attacts its own unique audience. It is unfair to lump them all together and say they are similar. They are as different as night and day.

Thanks for listening, and for trying to help!

Tom_Tagliente19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Tagliente
Dave,

I appreciate you helping us understand the post about FALCON CREST in the WB chat. I will draft a special letter for you and Gord to pass along to the powers that be at WB. If you can give me a few days to draft something as I am on a tight deadline at work, I would like to do whatever I can to help myself and other FALCON CREST fans see our show on DVD.

Thank you for your willingness to help us out. I will write soon to you through private email so as not to clog the forum with the letter to Warner Bros.

Again, thank you very much.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks