Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I'm a Microsoft and I can't create an ad campaign

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 of 33 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted September 25 2008 - 12:41 PM

My favorite Apple commercial of all time - Tanks
Funny - there was truth in the script. At the time the spec was still
in the books as a no export rating by law. No one took it seriously,
but a nice tidbit for Apple to use in the moment.

The great theme from What Movie? I forget Posted Image

YouTube - Apple PowerMac G4 Commercial - Super Computer (Tanks)

#22 of 33 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,979 posts

Posted September 27 2008 - 02:59 AM

I am surprised nobody else heard this as the news is now
a couple days old....

This past week a Microsoft executive admitted that those PC
commercials were put together on a MAC.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#23 of 33 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted September 27 2008 - 04:25 AM

Ron, and I don't mean to offend, but the articles about the PC commercials being made on a mac just come off as ignorant. You get the idea that they must think Gates and Co. must have made the commercials themselves in their spare time. It's professional advertising, it was made with the toolsets of whomever Microsoft hired to do the ad campaign.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#24 of 33 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted September 27 2008 - 05:42 AM

So true. I remember being on the receiving end of the trait you admit here not too long ago. You were civil but there was no mistaking your position. To be fair, I also must admit I was not current on the capabilities of the Mac platform, and my post did contain some factual errors. I briefly questioned whether PC users were really welcome on HTF after that exchange.

I don't understand why people need to believe their platform is inherently superior to another. This is subjective thinking at best, and as DaveF alluded, I try to avoid such conversations, since they generally degenerate into pointless attacks. I can say for a fact that the PC is [currently] the best choice for me. But I am not at all bothered that others choose the Mac. I've even recommended it to some.

I absolutely love the latest Microsoft adds. Although the Gates/Seinfeld adds were typical misses reminiscent of IBM's horrible add history, I thought the current adds were a perfect response to Apples [admittedly successful and well-done] campaign.

Be gentle... Posted Image

John
"The names Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me "Psycho."
Any of YOU guys call ME Francis, and I'll kill ya!"

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#25 of 33 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,979 posts

Posted September 28 2008 - 05:58 AM

John, I do hope that I was civil towards you. I have gotten into a lot of heated conversations with people over Mac vs. PC, but have tried to be respectful towards their opinions in the process.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#26 of 33 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted September 28 2008 - 06:25 AM

You most certainly were. Posted Image

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#27 of 33 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 02:11 PM

My beef in the PC/Mac arguments is that from my experience the PC users are arguing from a point of ignorance in that they've never used OSX nor kept current with what it has to offer etc. Its far from perfect but using both daily I greatly prefer OS X.

#28 of 33 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 02:22 PM

Touche!Posted Image I admit that this describes me. My memories of the Mac are from long ago experiences, but even then I didn't argue the overall merit of one vs the other, as I think they both have their advantages. I'll be the first to say, I don't prefer PC's because of their ease of use. For me it's the openness of the platform and the techie in me.

John

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#29 of 33 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 03:32 PM

Gotta hate the new PC ads. Just. Plain. Bad.

So, that said... I gotta get in on the side-discussion going on here. Posted Image

I bought my very first Mac in May. I'm a voice-actor, and I wanted to be working on the same platform as the studios. That was my primary purpose for wanting a Mac.

Now, keep something in mind here. I'm a long-time PC user. My first PC was a Tandy computer, running DOS and Windows 3.1. (That was MY first computer. I worked and played on Apple IIs, IBM PCs and PCjrs and Commodore PETs. Even a wonderful old TRS-80 with a tape-drive and dual floppies! OoOOoOO the power!)

I remember losing my mind with excitement getting a 300 baud modem. Not to mention a 20MB hard drive. ("Twenty MEGABYTES? I'll NEVER use all that ROOM!") From those early days, I spent many years as a PC tech, sys-admin and network admin.

(Note: I've never been one of these folks that defended PCs against Macs, and got all hot and heavy over which machine is better. The different machines both have their advantages and places.)

So... back to my first Mac. (An iMac, to be precise) It took me a bit to get used to OSX, but I gotta say, I LOVE this machine. It's stable, reliable, powerful and even great looking. Plus I can run Windows and it's programs if I really need to... what more could I ask for? (Plus the fact that since May, I've had to reboot my machine... twice? As opposed to near-daily?)

I've since become a fan of all things Mac. I have a new iPhone, and I must admit I'm contemplating an AppleTV, and an Airbook for my wife. I still use my PC laptop, but only as an Internet/Email machine from my living room.

So... in a nutshell, this ol' PC nut is a total convert. Sure, I still see where PCs have their place, but it's unlikely I'll ever go back.

(Oh, and Calgary just had it's very first Apple store open a few weeks ago. Holy crap, is that place DANGEROUS.)

#30 of 33 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,979 posts

Posted October 15 2008 - 07:16 PM

Tony, Welcome to the Mac family. Your impressions of your iMac does not surprise me. None of us here are likely to ever go back to a PC.

Ronald J Epstein

#31 of 33 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted October 16 2008 - 01:39 PM

Sums up my experience switching as well Posted Image

#32 of 33 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,631 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 19 2008 - 02:32 PM

Carpet bombing, hoping something hits the target.

Headshot, from 3000 yds

#33 of 33 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,932 posts

Posted October 19 2008 - 11:55 PM

Yeah I finally saw one of the new Microsoft ads. I think they perfectly describe the company: they can't come up with anything original, so they attempt to copy Apple (in this case their ad campaign) and miss the point entirely in the process, coming up with something bad. Really, Microsoft, can't you buy some originality with all your billions? I guess originality is something you can't buy.
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users