What's new

Smallville season 8 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tonight is the season 8 premiere of Smallville on the CW, same 8 p.m. EDT timeslot.

I've closed the Smallville seaosn 8 spoilers thread as it was just something to tide fans of Smallville over this summer, but please spoilerize details of upcoming episode when appropriate in this thread.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have high hopes for the premiere, if not the entire season, based on the promo running on the CW. Here's to hoping a lot of last season's misfires can be avoided this year...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've seen a lot of genre news sites say this is the last season. I haven't seen anyone official say that, though. Have I just missed it, or is it still an open question?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well, even though I hated season 7
I'm willing to give Season 8 a chance, since there are new people
holding the reigns.

I'm not very optimistic.
But I am loyal

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Possible spoiler, but it could just be reading something into a statement when it's really not there:

Newsarama asked one of the new exec producers about the old "no flights/no tights" rule, and at the end of their explanation, they said, "the only thing we can confirm is that there are absolutely no tights." So, maybe Clark will finally be flying.

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
Ho hum premiere.

Did Erica Durance get a nose job or have her eyes done or something? She looks different to me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think this showed what a good adult show Smallville (or Justice League...just sayin'...) could be now that Lana and her melodrama is gone. Fairly fast paced with a "bigger than Metropolis" feel.

But these writers STILL haven't gotten the hint they don't need to end the main plot ten minutes for the end of the show to give us sweet character moments. Frankly, I would have rather seen how AC, Oliver, Chloe, Lois and Dinah got OUT of Montana and back to Smallville instead of the wrap up at the end.

Anyway, I'm much more enthused by this season premiere than last years. That probably has something to do with Justin Harley being added to the main cast; regardless, I was still engaged by the hour. And we may have our season arc already...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Yes she does and I like it, she looked gorgeous and I never thought so before. Sure she was always hot but there was something about her tonight, especially there at the end with the full-on classic Lois hair style. :emoji_thumbsup:

Okay start, I like that Clark has finally decided to let the farm go, it was time, actually it was time last season but i'm glad they finally pulled the trigger on that.

Who's the uber-hottie bitch on wheels who took over for Lex? Is that Maxima? I've tried to keep my Smallville news intake to a minimum.

Clark has a bonafide job! This is going to be fun watching him work with Lois at the Daily Planet, so glad i'm finally able to say that sentence in regards to this show. :cool:

We're almost home, folks.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wish they'd change Dinah's Black Canary look. She's supposed to be incredibly sexy. Here, she looks like Patty Bernstein.

Pretty good. They've already made some big steps towards Clark's destiny with him getting to Metropolis full time and realizing the value of a secret ID. Chloe's story is not much of a mystery at all, though. They showed Bran Flake getting at her brain and saying, "What the hell are you!" Either a part of him is in her or maybe that's where he's hiding.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Although we finally get Clark in Metropolis and out of Smallville for the most part, how did Clark ever scrape up enough journalism credits to be a credible candidate for a job at the Daily Planet? Did Queen rig up some fake credentials for Clark, or what?

Tom Welling is a much more confident actor this season, although he's not a great actor by any stretch of the imagination, he appears to really embracing Clark and having some fun with the role.

The new hairdo on Lois works for her, makes her a little less of a college girl, and more of a professional reporter. Chloe and Jimmy's pairing might annoy me, time will tell. Wonder if the Martial Manhunter is permanently powerless or if it's just a temporary effect of being too close to the sun.

I think having Lex off the show will help it grow and not feel so stagnant where it's practically a drinking game as to Clark showing up at Lex's mansion unannounced and demanding something from Lex time and time again. But, who knows if the drinking game will continue with the lady exec hellbent on finding Lex with his resources.

I've always thought that having Green Arrow shoehorned into the show was just a weird fit given no real comic book history for such a consistent pairing, but GA seems to work as a Batman-surrogate, so I'm going to roll with, plus having some early semblance of the Justice League is fine by me.

Rocky F

Second Unit

I've kind of wondered that as well, I've seen places that state that this is the final season, but neither the producers nor the network have ever said that. I've got mixed feelings about it myself. I definitely enjoyed the premiere, it seemed a lot stronger than many of the Season 7 episodes, so I'm hoping the new showrunners can keep that up. On one hand, if the season does end up being really good, I'd love for it to continue, but I definitely want the show to end strong as well.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering about that as well. I guess the Luthor line about the Montana people being reassimiliated (?) was just about the Luthor employees?

One lesson this episode should have given them is that they need to get new cellphones.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

This is long overdue.

Enjoyable episode. I am not sure I like the new Female Lex who will essentially be doing the same thing as Lex did.
Good to see the Justice League again.
I too wondered how Clark would get a job at the Daily Planet considering he has no professional work experience and isn't in school anymore.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
No one has been able to give me a satisfactory explanation as to exactly WHY he will not be wearing the tights. The old excuse of "this is the story of Clark Kent" doesn't fly (no pun intended) because at the very end of the series he will be Supes.

I've always been very perplexed as to what they have against this, that's all.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Smallville endings are always weird. There are always about five scenes where I think, "Well, that wraps it up for this week! Oh, another scene. This one's got to be the last. Let me check the time on the DVR. Nope, still three minutes to go."

By the way, it's Martian Manhunter. Unless they've changed it for this telling.

Nobody wants to do costumes because it's all the rage to approach these things as "what if all of this was happening in the real world." In the real world, a guy showing up in a costume would be laughed at or thought to be insane. So, they put GA in a hoodie and give AC clothes that are the same colors as the original Aquaman outfit. They're scared to death of having Clark show up in an actual Superman costume. I blame Grant Morrison, since he put the X-Men in generic leather uniforms, which in turn inspired the movie's costumes. That's a little bit tongue-in-cheek, since I'm sure he wasn't the first one to raise the question about how sane it is to play dress up as a hero. In fact, that's a big part of what the Watchmen are all about. I'm getting away from my point, though, that if any hero can show up on a TV show or a movie in costume, it's Superman. The people of Metropolis/Smallville/the CW version of the DC universe don't know about Superman yet, so you may have to address that, but the audience at home won't have a problem with the Superman costume.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well, I was quite bored with this episode.
But it seems to me that with the new people taking over
that they are trying to finish off quick what was left for them
and try and tell their take on the story.
That's why I'm assuming that they are hurrying Clark in the Daily Planet
and out of the farm into Metropolis.

It was nice having half the Justice League there.
I agree that they need to sexy up Black Sparrow more
as her alter ego is cute.

I think the only nice moment was when Lois saw Clark's name
on the desk next to her and she smiled.

Oh, and another thing.
I thought Lex's new Female snooper was Miss Tessmocker.
I though that's what she said, so I had to rewind.
Her first name is Tess though
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Ahhh, nice catch, I missed that lol.

Love your sig, also, who needs Bond when there's Michael Westin? :cool:

BTW, forgot to mention how sad it was not to see Michael Rosenbaum in the opening credits for the first time. :frowning:

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

I thought of her as raccoon woman. Her eye shadow from her entrance was beyond comical. I admit the amount lessened as the program progressed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Another crap-tastic episode, but also proof of the power of narrative progression. Even though the quality hasn't improved any, the scene at the end with Lois and Clark was enough to get me hooked again, at least temporarily.

As for newspapers, you've never needed a journalism degree per say to get higher. To make it in a major metro like the Planet, though, you should at least have some decent clips from a regional daily to show you've got the goods.

But Clark Kent walking in and getting hired has been a stretch for decades now. You accept it for what it is and see what happens from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks